This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

john_aero
Unverified User
Unverified User

Good Morning, Hello and a Question

Post by john_aero » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 am

Good morning,

been few years since I was on here but I am back flying again so I said id make an appearance.

I have just renewed my expired JAR PPL to an EASA PPL and waiting on the SOLI to be changed from UK to Ireland.

I have also purchased a share in an ikarus microlight so looking forward getting some honest flying in after a long break.

Question:
I have one question though I heard during my renewal last year that the IAA were changing the rules for 12 hours for PPL (A) in that hours from a 3 axis mircolight can be used against your renewal. Has anyone got this officially as it would be nice if it came to fruit. Once instructor had told me he was advised it is now in place but cant find the actual IAA documents backing it up.

Regards

Happy flying

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Good Morning, Hello and a Question

Post by mark » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:24 pm

Hi John,

The aircrew rule was changed in October by EASA and came into effect on 11th November. However the AMC and GM (which outlines the details of the rules) has not yet been published. The last I heard is that they were suppose to be published last week but I've just checked and they have still not been published. I'll try to update the post as soon as I have the details. There's still a few grey areas, e.g. will the hour with an instructor count or if the rating is expired, can you do the flight test on a microlight / non-EASA aircraft. Hopefully the AMC and GM will clarify the details.

Since you've just renewed your SEP, this won't affect you until the second year of your rating so hopefully you'll have a clear answer by then!

Regards,
Mark

john_aero
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by john_aero » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 am

mark thank you for the reply and good to know it was not just a rumor

From what the instructor told me it will be the same as SEP rating, if expired have to re sit a flight proficiency test like I did last year, essentially a mini flight test to check and make sure your still a safe pilot.

from talking its a very broad test and starts when you shake hands with the instructor as he gets a good feel for you as a person.

I have just bought a share in a micro light here in Kerry so wanted make sure I don't lose my SEP rating

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi John,

That's correct, however it's best to do the test with 3 months of your SEP expiring then it's just a straight LPC. If you let the rating expire, then you may need to go to a school or club to get a course completion certificate specifying whether training is required or not and then do the LPC.

Anyway, hopefully the situation will be clarified soon and all of your 3 Axis hours will count.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information