This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

rjmusto
Unverified User
Unverified User

Advice on flying clubs in the south

Post by rjmusto » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi all,
I have recently moved to Ireland from abroad and now that life is starting to settle down, am looking at getting back to flying.

Our new home is just north of Dungarvan in Co. Waterford and I seem to be pretty much equidistant to Waterford, Cork and Kilkenny. So my question - if it is ok to ask - is which airfield/airport do you guys think is the best place for GA flying? Which has the most active flying club?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Ralph

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice on flying clubs in the south

Post by mark » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to the forum. From that list, the only option is Waterford Aero Club (http://waterfordaeroclub.com/ ). AFTA are a great school in Cork but their main aim is commercial flight training so there would be little opportunity to rent there. Kilkenny Aerodrome is mainly used for Parachuting, I don't think there is a flying club there any longer.

Waterford have recently taken delivery of two Cessna 172's (before that the used the Tecnam P2002). If you're interested in travelling a little further north, there's a new flying club at Limetree Airfield just north of Portlaoise. They operate two ICP Savannah S aircraft - https://funflyaerosports.ie/ . The site is mainly for the aircraft dealership but if you contact Mark via the website he'll give you the flying club details.

Regards,
Mark

rjmusto
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Advice on flying clubs in the south

Post by rjmusto » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick reply and for the helpful info.

My previous flying (at Lesce-Bled in Slovenia) was in a 172, so that should make it easier picking things up again at Waterford. I'll get in touch with them.

Ralph