Private pilots with IFR rating Ireland

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Fenian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Private pilots with IFR rating Ireland

Post by Fenian » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:32 am

Hi everyone

I was reading an old post from 2005 and it said PPL or private pilots in Ireland with an IFR rating also is extremely rare and they quoted numbers from the UK (as Ireland was maybe unknown) as 25 pilots out of 30,000 private pilots.

Now this obviously excludes commercial and ATPL pilots, this is simply leisure pilots

Is this still the case?
Any idea of the cost for IFR rating in Ireland approx?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Private pilots with IFR rating Ireland

Post by mark » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi Fenian,
Fenian wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:32 am
Now this obviously excludes commercial and ATPL pilots, this is simply leisure pilots
Not necessarily as ATPL pilots will have Type Ratings with the embedded instrument privileges limited to multi pilot operations only on that aircraft type. They would not be able to fly IFR on a single engine unless they held a Single Pilot Single Engine Instrument Rating.
Fenian wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:32 am
Any idea of the cost for IFR rating in Ireland approx?
I've no idea but it's not cheap. The single engine IR requires 50 hours of training (35 can be done in the sim). There's also seven exams required, (1) air law;
(2) aircraft general knowledge — instrumentation;
(3) flight planning and monitoring;
(4) human performance;
(5) meteorology;
(6) radio navigation; and
(7) communications.;

Under EASA rules (as opposed to JAR) it's much easier to keep a single pilot single engine IR current if you have a Multi-Pilot Multi-Engine Type Rating so there are probably more airline pilots these days with single engine IRs. Apart from that, I don't think the numbers will have significantly increased over the years. In the UK, they have the IMC rating [ or IR(R) if it's on an EASA licence] but they have the facilities there. In Ireland I don't think it's worth having an IR as there are very few places to go, the freezing level makes it unusable in winter and the ATC service is pretty poor.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information