Flexwing microlight Training

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Windycar
Verified User
Verified User

Flexwing microlight Training

Post by Windycar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi there I am all new to this, and want to get my ppl(m) for flexwing, and want to do it in Ireland is there anyone teaching at the moment, not up the North its too far to be driving 30 or 40 times in a year, if any one knows anything that would be great. Oh and if any one has a 2 seater flexwing with a 912 engine I am all ears, thanks :?:

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flexwing microlight Training

Post by mark » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Windycar,

Unfortunately there is no flexwing training available in Ireland at the moment. Your only option is to go overseas and fly under the provisions of IAA Aeronautical Notice P21.

Regards,
Mark

Windycar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Windycar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Ya it's the back and forwarded that would just make it so expensive, if I done a fixed wing pplm can I do a difference training over seas in just a few hours training, I know it's all about how the person can handle the training, but is that possible?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:47 am

Hi Windycar,

If you do the PPL(M) (3 Axis) here, you would not be able to add a flexwing qualification to it overseas. The only option you may have is to approach the IAA and ask them if they would accept the training of xx organisation to add a flexwing qualification. I'm not sure if there's a precedent for this so it may be difficult.

If it's something you really want to do, consider a 2/3 week residential flexwing course during the summer in France. A quick google showed up this course http://www.pegasusfrance.co.uk/index.php/school/courses

Regards,
Mark

Windycar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Windycar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:24 pm

I have seen that one yes I will consider that, what do you meen xx?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 pm

I mean, whatever the organisations' name is. It's probably a little too complicated complicated to try and get IAA approval for an organisation overseas.

This has been the big problem with trying to grow the flexwing pilot population in Ireland. It's just too small at the moment to be self sustaining and as a result, there are no instructors available. Unfortunately it's a downward spiral, hopefully someone with enough experience will consider setting up a flexwing training club/school in future in Ireland.

Regards,
Mark

Windycar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Windycar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:36 pm

I have just heard from a little from a little birdie, that within 6 months there might be a instructor up and running, I will keep you posted, the paper work is in the process,, but in the meantime I might do a week in Spain, called new horizons it will be a UK licence but I have bin told I just change it to a Irish one when I am finished?

Windycar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Windycar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi I have just booked a 10 days in Spain, at Newhorizons I get 12 hours flexwing training and a villa I am going with my wife and two children, I can't wait any longer, so heading there in April and go to have a family holiday and get nearly half way done with the licence, for very good price,

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Sounds good, let us know how you get on!