Class 1 Medical - Renewal (Health Q's)

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

roblouiswalsh
Unverified User
Unverified User

Class 1 Medical - Renewal (Health Q's)

Post by roblouiswalsh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 am

Hi Guys,

I obtained a Class 1 medical in 2004 which has now expired.

I now want to re-activate/re-take this medical but have had some medical issues over the last number of years. Before I go back pursuing my dream, I want to be sure that these issues aren't immediate red flags for obtaining a Class 1:

Traumatic Pneumothorax
I sustained a traumatic pneumothorax in 2011 playing football which fully healed within a few months. I haven't had any issues since and completed a marathon and other intense physical exercises since.

Thrombophlebitis
I have a varicose vein in my leg for years but recently developed Thrombophlebitis. I spent 45 days on an anticoagulant (Xarelto) and it has reduced in size. Will likely need a small procedure to rectify but the doctor expects me to fully recover without prolonged medication.

I called the Aeromedical Centre and got a generic response saying that I would need to re-take the full test but didn't allude to the issues above.

If anyone has any insights it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Class 1 Medical - Renewal (Health Q's)

Post by mark » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi Rob,

I can't help you with a specific answer but all of the medical rules are laid out in Part-MED. If you take a look at Annex IV, of this document: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... ircrew.pdf , it contains all of the rules around issuing medicals. It's not easy reading but hopefully you'll be able to find your answer there.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

roblouiswalsh
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Class 1 Medical - Renewal (Health Q's)

Post by roblouiswalsh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks for sharing, Mark! Much appreciated!

Hope all is well!

Rob