Evac. at Shannon this morning

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Krusty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Evac. at Shannon this morning

Post by Krusty » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:20 am

Anybody have info. on why the major panic at SNN this morning?

We were order to evacuate the building (building is next-door to the boundry fence) by the Gardai.....which I though was odd since umpteen 'emergencies' have come through Shannon without this much of a panic.

A C-17 landed shortly afterwards on 06 and stopped on the rwy with the gaggle of Fire units hanging-back from it ; it proceeded to taxi back towards the terminal a few minutes later with the fire units in tow.

Prior to the evac. the Gardai were blocking roads around the industrial estate seemingly at random....lots of pretty blue lights.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:36 pm

Was A C17 globemaster en route USA,had hydraulic problems.was circling over cork VOR for an hour burning fuel.
115 VAC @400Hz

Krusty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Krusty » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:20 pm

........and that necessitates evacuating everyone from buildings near the perimeter of the airfield? There are over 400 staff in our building alone ; some people were quite shaken over the whole affair(we were given less 4 minutes warning).

Why all the fuss? I've seen a Connie Kalita 747 freighter (which would make a bigger hole) come in with a suspected cargo-bay fire, and that passed without any panic.

Not to mention the fact that it hasn't been mentioned in the media (to my knowledge). The Connie incident was all over the news. And the Aer Lingus 'smoke in the cabin' thing today made the national news.

Just all very hush hush.
Must have been carrying interesting cargo.

:roll:

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

ya the aer lingus thing was given massive coverage on RTE and even an interview with mannion,its not very big news that wasnt worth all the coverage,good work by the crew on all accounts,good to see shamrock pax in great hands :D
115 VAC @400Hz

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:09 pm

Yea but who knows what was on board the globemaster?? opens up a whole new can of worms when you consider what may be their cargo!!!

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:34 pm

''suspected terrorists'' and of course weapons!!
115 VAC @400Hz

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:01 pm

FLYbyWIT wrote:Yea but who knows what was on board the globemaster?? opens up a whole new can of worms when you consider what may be their cargo!!!

According to the papers today the C-17 was carrying hazardous gas, which presumably prompted the panicked evacuations. Turns out to (or more cynically, is stated to be) Helium for inflating balloons. Let's not forget the Christmas party season is fast approaching.....

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 pm

You are correct.they said it was carrying helium to iraq for whatever!!
115 VAC @400Hz

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:34 pm

I believe the pertinent issue was that the Commander reported that due to the Hyd problems they were having he believed he or she would have zero wheel braking on landing. It then would seem reasonable that the powers that be evacuated buildings at the end of the Runways.

It was written in the newspaper today, it must be true!
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:33 pm

cosmic,you have moved from the bar stool to take up sport!!! who do i drink with????
115 VAC @400Hz

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:21 pm

I reckoned it was time for a change,I like the sound of it a bit better, it means the same anyway! Someone with a big fat gob who is not afraid to shoot it off! :roll: :roll:
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:42 pm

O I dont know cosmic, Why not promote yourself to Coach :lol: as you already seem to know the ins and outs of this particular hydraulic system-maybe its similiar to your antequated boeing systems :shock: .
But as much as I am reluctant to admit your probably right. I doubt helium was the cargo-The US military never diclose info especially when involved in situations such as this, it sounds like a spin.
Check out my new rather modest description........

"Supreme Jet Jockey" what more can I say 8)

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:24 pm

Hey guys,

After touch down at 08.14 a msg was passed from the airport fire chief through Ground requesting the type of cargo.

"Reach 903" was carrying compressed Helium. Straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:37 pm

ahh feck :roll:

doyler
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by doyler » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:14 pm

Krusty wrote:........and that necessitates evacuating everyone from buildings near the perimeter of the airfield? There are over 400 staff in our building alone ; some people were quite shaken over the whole affair(we were given less 4 minutes warning).

Why all the fuss? I've seen a Connie Kalita 747 freighter (which would make a bigger hole) come in with a suspected cargo-bay fire, and that passed without any panic.

Not to mention the fact that it hasn't been mentioned in the media (to my knowledge). The Connie incident was all over the news. And the Aer Lingus 'smoke in the cabin' thing today made the national news.

Just all very hush hush.
Must have been carrying interesting cargo.

:roll:
i was on EI- 427 TO Milan staff acted in exsteamly offical manner!!\