Which Weston based school ?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Dublin SPL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Which Weston based school ?

Post by Dublin SPL » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi folks,

It looks like I have to move my training to Weston because the traveling and club (not saying where !) aircraft/instructor availability is becoming a problem. I always wanted to learn in a club atmosphere but I now realise that it takes too long and is becoming a bit frustrating.

So, to my point. Now I'm not looking to start a war between the fans of the various schools at Weston, I'm just looking for a recommendation for the best school for an average Joe Soap to get his PPL solely for recreational purposes.

I did some training with Aerial at Weston about 5 years ago and while the instruction was fine, I did find the constant changing of instructors and the general atmosphere a bit off putting. It seemed to me that if you were a CPL candidate you got much more attention than a mere PPL. I'm sure this may have changed now and thats why I'm asking this question -

Who should I call - NFC, Skytrace/PTC or Flightwise (or any others I don't know about).

Thanks

Canacourse
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Canacourse » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:48 am

I can really recommend Flightwise. I did fly for some time with one of the other weston based schools you mentioned and what a wase of time and money that was.

Suggest a 1/2 flight to get the measure of the school. One school will have lots of planes mostly in bad condidtion (IE.. you would not be suprised if the dash ends up on your lap) and flightwise will have top notch spotless aircraft run by profesional insctructors not hour builders. I agree with your comments about the CPL.

I should make it clear that I have only flown with two schools in Weston.

Dublin SPL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dublin SPL » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:51 am

Thanks for that Canacourse.

Yeah, I like the look of Flightwise and Adrian Carrie's reputation seems great.

I would say that they are number 1 on the list.

Thanks again

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Charlie Hotel Mike » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:06 pm

I have just completed my training at NFC and I found them to be far superior in comparison to the rival schools when it comes the quality of flight training provided to the student. Now if you want a nice and shiny airplane go to flightwise,however,looks are low in my priorities and i can guarantee you that every NFC is maintained to the highest standard regardless of looks. The quality of the training is the important thing to consider when deciding on a flight school and not how old or new the fleet is. Also much of the fleet is being upgraded to 152's at NFC anyway and EI-DGX is about the best 152 there is anywhere, in terms of avionics and interior.

So if you want to be trained to the highest standards go to NFC!!!

Thats my opinion anyway...

Canacourse
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Canacourse » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:50 pm

I am very glad NFC worked out for you.

Whats make you think I was referring to NFC? was it "waste of time and money" or dashboard on the lap" comment?

If you think FW are about shiny aircraft and nothing else you are mistaken at least in my experience.

An added bonus if you fly with them is that your name will not be tipexed out of the booking sheet in favour of the instructors mate. I know I am not the only one this happened to.

I will post anymore to this thread on this subject as I dont belive its fair to continue an endless discussion of faults and wrongdoing's. Hopefully anyone thinking of flying in Weston will have the common sense to look around and talk to other students and reach there own conculsions.

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:15 am

I'm almost finished my PPL training with SkyTrace and found them to be excellent. I started my training in NFC's Katana but that aircraft went tech shortly after I began and as I'm 6'2", I had trouble space-wise with 152's and the Grobs. The Robin is a much roomier cockpit, with a stick instead of a yoke, hence my knees don't get in the way as much!

Pricewise, they compare with training in a 172, so you will find cheaper if you can fit in a 152. They look after their PPL students well, making sure you get the time you need. My impression of NFC wasn't great in that respect - I have been tippexed out there too!

If you're looking for a club atmosphere, you're more likely to get closer to that with one of the smaller schools, i.e FlightWise or SkyTrace.

Swiss Tony
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Swiss Tony » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi Dublin SPL,

I'm in the same boat (or should that be plane) loooking to learn in a club atmosphere for some recreational flying when (if) i get my ppl. Will learning in a club be a very slow road to getting your ppl.

How's the school hunting going?

Swiss

Microheavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Microheavy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:07 am

Hi Tony,

I reckon I'm gonna go with Flightwise, I just like the setup best and I reckon it will suit me.

Club flying is great but you need to allow for instructor and aircraft availability. If the club training aircraft goes tech there is no replacement and that is a real pain. If an instructor has a day job or a commitment that clashes with your flying time there is nothing you can do about it.

But club flying will usually give you much more time with the instructor when you are paying only tacho hours for the plane. You'll also get to fly with PPL's in the club and discover much more about recreational flying than you would in a school. I've already been on a few cross country's that you would never get to do in a school at my stage of training.

PM me if you need more info
mH

Dublin SPL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dublin SPL » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:02 pm

Looks like Flightwise for me too but I still have to talk to Skytrace.

Would agree with Microheavy about club flying but I think that in Dublin at least you're better off getting the PPL with a school first.

chuckles
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by chuckles » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:38 pm

I have flowen with many flying schools/clubs in 3 different countries and found NFC the most unprofessional I have encountered.
I have had bookings cancelled in preference to other "good customers" , plus how do you learn to fly in an aircraft that is incorrectly rigged and flys out of balance? I have not flowen with any others at weston but look else where before resorting to NFC.

on yer six
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by on yer six » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:36 am

I have never flown at NFC and I do think their price for the Cub is well over the top. I can say that I needed to do some sim for a sign off and the lads that helped me there were exceptional. It was actually Christmas week and I was due to start a course shortly after, the boys went out of there way to make sure I was signed off, done and dusted over the holidays. Can't comment on anything else there because haven't actually flown there airplanes.

shamrock/heavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shamrock/heavy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:36 am

I have to say that i dont think it is right that everyone is putting NFC down. Yes i have been crossed off the books in favour of a CPL trainee. Its annoying but if i was a CPL trainee i would like a bit of special treatment since i would already have spent about 10 grand with them.

As for the condition of the planes, they dont look that good but they are airworthy (i check the documentation). The reason they are like that is because they let you learn by example doing things that shouldnt be done. A flight school that has just spent eighty grand on an aircraft wont be as reluctant.

In my opinion the NFC is a quality flight school.

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:14 pm

shamrock/heavy wrote:The reason they are like that is because they let you learn by example doing things that shouldnt be done.

In my opinion the NFC is a quality flight school.

Jaysus !! doing things that shouldn't be done. Case closed.

shamrock/heavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shamrock/heavy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Yes it does seem a bit bad the way i put it. :oops:

In my case when i started flying, and was practicing landings with about 15 knots of a crosswind they let me learn what happens when you dont correct a crab. It was something that has stuck in my mind ever since, in other words it was an effective form of teaching for me that is. Under no circumstances do we ever do anything that endangers the aircraft or people in it, but at the same time the aircraft do take a beating.

mrbungle i think you misunderstood me. Hope this clarifies things

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:30 pm

Case re-opened !!

I knew where you were coming from !! :wink: