IAA PPL Theory Exam - Airlaw

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

martins
Verified User
Verified User

IAA PPL Theory Exam - Airlaw

Post by martins » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:01 pm

I was sitting the exam yesterday and just wanted to let off some steam, it looked like it's been put together late at night without anyone reading it through.. two questions were repeated twice and for one question none of the provided answers was correct. A definition of acronym was asked that some of the students afterwards couldn't find anywhere in books or google (I forgot what it was).. and can someone tell me are aeronautical beacons rotating or fixed? And are they meant for pilots on ground or air? Because according to the question it cannot be both...

there were 2 questions regarding marshalling, one of which in the picture it is clearly visible that the motion demonstrated means "Chocks In" however a barely readable description (it was in such small font, you would need a magnifying glass) suggests the motion is for "Slow down"..

anyone else done airlaw recently sharing the same experience?

Arrow
Verified User
Verified User

Re: IAA PPL Theory Exam - Airlaw

Post by Arrow » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:09 pm

I sat the air law exam last August and I had similar problems to you. It was a shambles to be honest. Some questions definitely had no correct answers and some questions had two right answers, and one question was definitely there twice.

martins
Verified User
Verified User

Post by martins » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:20 pm

I assume you passed it? I thought it's to do with moving closer to EASA requirements and the exam is literally put together just now, it's unbelievable that it's been going on since last august... Did you complain or anything?

How long did it took to get the results? I feel like despite some weird questions I still should be able to get a pass, but if I don't, I don't really feel like paying 35 eur for a re-sit, I wonder if there are basis here for demanding a free re-sit?

Arrow
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Arrow » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 pm

I failed it the first time, only got 68% :roll: got the results by email about two weeks after sitting the exams. Applied straight away for a resit and they put in a special sitting for me and another guy that was repeating AGK. Done it in the IAA building. Passed it the second time, but the second paper I did had errors also so I wasn't confident afterwards but luckily I had done enough to pass.

To be fair I think it's unacceptable for an exam paper for any subject or discipline to have errors, they should be flawless!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Unfortunately I don't think that this is a new problem.

I did my exams in 2001, and remember similar problems.

I remember one particular problem in the navigation exam. It asked to measure the true track between two airports, and give various answers.

The precise answer wasn't there, but there was possible answers 1 degree either side of the precise answer. I measured again, sharpened my pencil, tried again, and again. It was perfectly clear that the precise answer just wasn't there.

No big deal I thought, as it's just one question.

However then there were a series of questions which used the answer to that question! Eg one was, having worked out the true track, what was the magnetic track, then what heading would you have to fly to achieve this track, based on a given windspeed etc etc. All in all, there were 5 questions dependent on the first answer, which didn't have a correct answer!

So I decided to take each of the two closest answers to the first question and follow them through to see which of the two made sense in the subsequent questions. It turns out that I could start with either of the two potential answers in the first question, and the subsequent five questions all had answers available based on that!

In the end it was a 50/50 guess to which one they wanted. If I got it wrong I'd 6 questions wrong, and little hope of passing.

When I mentioned this to my instructors later, their reply was "Is that question still there?" Apparently it had been there for a number of years already!

P

martins
Verified User
Verified User

Post by martins » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I suppose all is well that ends well, got results, all passes with lowest mark in air law - 91%... the result notification did have this particular line in it:

The results stated above take into account any queries raised on ambiguous questions. Careful consideration was also given to any anomalies and exam papers were amended accordingly.

I hope my noise making with IAA really made a difference for future exam sitters

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Many congrats martins, on both counts.

Passing your exams, onwards & upwards

& raising the awareness of the exam problem. Looks like they took notice.

Happy Flying

Brian

ois
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ois » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 am

Came across this topic while browsing the forum last night. I've just finished the PPL exams, and I can say for sure that they haven't changed. Various misspellings, poor grammer, repeated questions in the same exam etc. etc.

In the navigation exam, there was one question which was honestly shocking. It was about the accuracy of magnetic compasses. The four options all referenced latitudes (low latitudes, mid latitudes, high latitudes, and then "45° North or South"), however, they spelled latitudes as "altitudes". Extremely unprofessional, and very off putting to the exam candidate. I flagged the question (and was most likely right about it as I got 95) but after reading through this topic I don't see it making much of a difference.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Are they still paper based questions or have they moved to computer now?

Mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Pilot wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:58 pm
I remember one particular problem in the navigation exam. It asked to measure the true track between two airports, and give various answers.

The precise answer wasn't there, but there was possible answers 1 degree either side of the precise answer. I measured again, sharpened my pencil, tried again, and again. It was perfectly clear that the precise answer just wasn't there.
It was still there in 2003 when I did my exams but at least I was warned about it!
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

ois
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ois » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Computer based, which was presumably great when the computers were new. They're obviously subject to heavy use, and I had one crash on me halfway through an exam. Thankfully it saves your progress and I was able to pick up where I left off on another computer.

Oisín