swapping schools for winter

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

martins
Verified User
Verified User

swapping schools for winter

Post by martins » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi All,

I've run into a little problem - Irish winter incompatibility with grass strips :)

I'm doing my PPL in a place that has a grass strip. I started in summer and so far only logged some 8-9 hours, I'm determined to go out once a week, but the weather hasn't been there for me. Lately the biggest issue is that runway is constantly wet and soft making it unusable for the good ol' spam cans

I like the school and the strip so I don't want to change it completely, but I would definitely consider taking a couple of lessons out of Weston, thus the question - what are the implications of doing that? Is that possible at all? How quickly can instructor can asses my skills to be able to pick up where the previous instructor has left? Am I going to be wasting my money going through exercises I already have completed? I was pretty close to going solo, but now obviously I would have to get adjusted to a new aircraft, tarmac strip, controlled airspace etc.. I suppose I will be doing those things anyway at some point

xpro
Verified User
Verified User

Re: swapping schools for winter

Post by xpro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi.

There'll be no problem swapping schools. If you want to progress thats the only way.

Regardless of where you are with your lessons, a new instructor will determine that by flying with you. Obviously if you are competent and managing the lessons well there will be no need for repeating the basics,etc. After all it's all flying, you learn something new every time you go out.

Good luck with finding a new school and safe flying!

Demonduck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Demonduck » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi
I think the variation would do you some good plus it will add to your experience and prepare you better for the road ahead.All instructors have something to offer and it's no harm to change even for a short time.
The busier circuit in Weston will add to your skills already learned.
If your close to going solo or not at least you will have a second opinion.

Happy flying

martins
Verified User
Verified User

Post by martins » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 pm

I've sent NFC an email on Monday, haven't heard back

Rudy
Verified User
Verified User

Swapping schools for winter

Post by Rudy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:34 pm

You can't chop and change between schools. You are with one or the other. Someone has to retain your files. You seem happy with your Instructors so my tuppence says stay where you are. Your grass strip will be dry in a few weeks anyway.
Rudy

martins
Verified User
Verified User

Post by martins » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:51 pm

well I went ahead and got myself a lesson with NFC, did some steep turns and circuits, all and all very happy and might do a couple lessons more while the grass strip is drying out.

At the end of the day, I don't think I'll be one of the wonder-boys finishing PPL in just 45h, so even if NFC hours don't count towards anything, I still took a step in the right direction - I mean the goal is to progress and that's what I'm doing

for what it's worth, whilst chatting with NFC guys I had no impression that my hours wouldn't count - at the end of the day, IAA doesn't specify that all hours have to be logged at one school, all they want to see is a logbook with 45 hours on them.. as long as they can verify them, I don't see where the problem is..

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Well done Martins,
A few years ago a friend of mine had a job that involved literally moving around the country from area to area. During that time he took flying lessons when and where he could manage. It was 40 hours back then. He ended up with 58 hours before doing his flight test and passed first time. He told me afterwards if he was based at one training school he probably could have done the test after 42 hours, but work had to come first. He got there anyway.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland