Awesome video

This is a section where users can post pictures and video links

Moderator: mark

xpro
Verified User
Verified User

Awesome video

Post by xpro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:04 am

One super cool aviation video, nice shots and some awesome editing.

Enjoy. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EP9Ko6IsY

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Awesome video

Post by Gally2 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks for posting this it is awesome.... can someone with the knowledge explain the whites streaks coming from the trailing edge of both wings at the very last scene?

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 pm

The Wingtip Vortices you mean?
High pressure air under the wing. Low pressure air above the wing. The air leaks around the wingtip from high to low pressure area. At the same time air is flowing from leading edge (front) to trailing edge (rear). The interaction of these 2 flows causes air to corkscrew around and off the wingtip. The vortex created has low pressure at the centre. If the air has water vapour present, it will become visible if it condenses (i.e. goes from vapour (gas) state to liquid state). There are 2 ways to cause condensation - you can either keep the pressure constant and reduce the temperature or you can keep the temperature constant and reduce the pressure. The latter is what happens in the vortex. If the air was 100% dry - i.e. a relative humidity of 0% - i.e. no water vapour, you would never see those vortices.
The first "streaks" you see are from the winglets on the wingtips and then the last ones (and much bigger, more powerful and more hazardous ones!) are due to the wings themselves.
If you could find a way to eliminate or reduce those vortices you would reduce or eliminate the induced drag of the wing.
Does that help at all? :D

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Gally2 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 pm

WOW... That is an excellent definition thank you so much. You appear to really know your stuff :)
I am presuming you are an airline pilot haha (best guess).... I am truly amazed at the physics of it all. Is there any website/book/media where it describes all of these events that happen to an aircraft do you know? I would love to find out all about it as I have a keen interest in aviation and I want to know how everything works (yes i am one of those guys) :D