Brian Douglas RIP

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Brian Douglas RIP

Post by stovepipe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Brian Douglas passed away on 14/11/2011, after a long battle with cancer, aged 56 years. He was a stalwart of the light aircraft scene, being variously a member of the Dublin Gliding Club, SAAC, CAACI and ILAS as well as the British Gliding Association and the PFA/LAA. He had an abiding love affair with all things aviation but preferably wooden aircraft covered in fabric and with or without an engine, tailwheel compulsory, the older the better. He owned several gliders but was most known for his sometime ownership of Motor Tutor G-BEMM, Luton Minor G-AWMN, Taylorcraft EI-CES and lately Condor G-ASRB. He was known wherever runways were made of grass, wooden propellors were swung by hand and people gathered to talk about flying. He was also well versed in vintage cars and motorbikes, guitar playing, all kinds of music as well as being a talented artist.
Sorely missed by wife Marie, daughter Gill and his extended family and many, many friends.

regards
Stovepipe

aviatorsguide
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Brian Douglas RIP

Post by aviatorsguide » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Damn, that man was a good guy. Remember him showing me one of the 007 fields for the flightguide, and sitting there drinking tea and eating fruit scones having the chat. Real old school he read off the co-ordinates for me from a half mill map so I could find the place. He had an encyclopaedic knowledge of the grass roots scene both past and present.

He's on the greatest aerial excursion of all.

RIP

dh6105
Verified User
Verified User

Post by dh6105 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks Mick for posting a very fine tribute to Brian.
Another real grassroots aviator gone!! RIP.
jm

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Aww, no.
It's always sad, the passing of a gentleman, but how harsh it is when it's one so young. I was hangared beside Brian Douglas for a while in Trevet. Even when busy with tending carefully to the Condor, he was always generous with his time and advice. His easy and calm disposition perfectly matched to life of the farm strip flyer.

I hadn't seen him for a while and my day is a little emptier now, knowing that I'll never get to catch up with him. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.....and with the lonely Condor who I'm sure will miss his sympathetic engineering, caring cloth and the perfume of Pledge that meant Brian was about.

Keep an eye on us all Mr Douglas, we'll miss you.
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

jm2833530
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jm2833530 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm

very sad news. I knew Brian since 1984 and always found him a true gentleman. Condolences to his wife and daughter.
cannot embed this picture of Brian with his Condor at Birr 2009:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1155379702 ... 4055389586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stay214
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by stay214 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Is this Brian Robert Miller Douglas that passed away?

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:56 pm

I never knew his second name, could well be. He was a senior official of the Irish Credit Union system, in his day job and lived in Killiney.

regards
Stovepipe

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 pm

I knew Brian from brief chats we had together in the hangar at Trevet, one of those guys where you felt instantly at ease in his presence, a true gent.

Sorry to hear the news and condolences to his family.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air