Class 1 medical

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Class 1 medical

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Neil,

Yeah you're spot on, it is up to them, I'm counting myself lucky on that one!

I think the whole system is madness and way too expensive in Europe. I think a lot can be learned from the FAA system in general.

Found a bit of info on the above if anyone's interested;

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... ageid=2576

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med-No ... r-2011.pdf

Andy
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Mick10rt
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mick10rt » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping for some advice.

I've been told by the Aero Medical Team at gatwick to book an initial JAA Class 1 medical examination. My story is that I have previously failed the IAA eyesight test due to a muscle imbalance. Having sent various reports to the team in Gatwick, they are happy to accept my eyesight as acceptable for JAA class 1 or 2.

Anyone know of the waiting times for Claas 1?

Will a CAA JAA Class 1 inhibit me from doing a PPL here in Ireland and if so, is a CAA JAA class 1 accepted in the U.S for a PPL?

Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Micck

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:47 pm

n
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

xpro
Verified User
Verified User

Post by xpro » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:02 pm

JFH wrote:
Mick10rt wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping for some advice.

I've been told by the Aero Medical Team at gatwick to book an initial JAA Class 1 medical examination. My story is that I have previously failed the IAA eyesight test due to a muscle imbalance. Having sent various reports to the team in Gatwick, they are happy to accept my eyesight as acceptable for JAA class 1 or 2.

Anyone know of the waiting times for Claas 1?

Will a CAA JAA Class 1 inhibit me from doing a PPL here in Ireland and if so, is a CAA JAA class 1 accepted in the U.S for a PPL?

Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Micck
You can get a JAA class 1 or 2 medical in any EU/JAA country and you can do your PPL in Ireland still.
So, if you get a UK CAA JAA Class medical, you wont have any problem doing your PPL in Ireland under the IAA or doing it in the U.S if its a JAA PPL course.
You wont have to wait long to get the medical back. I actually know people who have failed the IAA and CAA medical before and got the medical back again from the Greek CAA!! One of these guys I knew was Diabetic, hence the CAA took the medical off him, but he still flys a european jet aircraft as a skipper thanks to the easy going doctors in eastern europe!
Im nearly positive it has to be an irish medical if you want to get your ppl in ireland. I also enquired about it they will only accept irish medicals. I think this will change next year and medicals will be internationaly recognised under EASA.
I think all initials need to be done here if you only starting, but i stand corrected, Thats what i was told
Irish PPL form

neilr
Verified User
Verified User

Post by neilr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 am

Hi guys ... Read the previous posts
For license issue there can and are restrictions in terms of where you do the INITIAL medical and training for license issue (doesn't matter about training for ratings)

If you want to do your PPL in Ireland then do your medical here - however it sounds like you can't - so do it in Gatwick then ppl in UK or CAA affiliated school elsewhere such as US

With EASA expected to take over in April there are some changes to medical - it might be worth confirming with CAA if the introduction of EASA will affect your chance of a medical - class 1 or 2. The reason I bring this up is that it recently happened to somebody I know - he was advised by the CAA to ensure he had his PPL in place before April. There were a few other conditions as well but this was the main one - this may not be an issue in your case but perhaps worth checking ????

Neil

Mick10rt
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mick10rt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 pm

neilr wrote:Hi guys ... Read the previous posts
For license issue there can and are restrictions in terms of where you do the INITIAL medical and training for license issue (doesn't matter about training for ratings)

If you want to do your PPL in Ireland then do your medical here - however it sounds like you can't - so do it in Gatwick then ppl in UK or CAA affiliated school elsewhere such as US

With EASA expected to take over in April there are some changes to medical - it might be worth confirming with CAA if the introduction of EASA will affect your chance of a medical - class 1 or 2. The reason I bring this up is that it recently happened to somebody I know - he was advised by the CAA to ensure he had his PPL in place before April. There were a few other conditions as well but this was the main one - this may not be an issue in your case but perhaps worth checking ????

Neil
Thanks for your reply. To be on the safe side i'm going to check with the CAA that the new EASA rules don't effect me.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Bit of a thread wander but does anyone know how much a 5 year renewal for an under thirty year old costs with the IAA? Ecg and audiogram included.Thanks

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:54 pm

how much a 5 year renewal for an under thirty year old costs with the IAA?

The IAA don't do medicals.... but if they did they'd probably be the best, most expensive,... :twisted:

Phone the aeromedical section of the Mater Private, they will have the info.

Remember you can renew a class 1 with any suitably qualified AME in any country - there are lots in the UK

search here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... 5&appid=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for example there are 4 that can do Class 1's in NI.

Johnnolan
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Johnnolan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Have you considered the new Aeromedical Centre in Dublin. Newly approved under the latest EASA regulations. We are rapidly building a reputation for our professional and efficient service. We have also driven the prices down by about 40%
We would love the opportunity to look after you,
Thanks you

Charter Aeromedical Centre
The Forge
Smithfield
Dublin 7
+353 1 657 9002