Where to sit PPL exams?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Where to sit PPL exams?

Post by WILCO.XMG » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Dear all,

This summer i have decided to bite the bullet and sit my PPL exams. I havent flew in over a year but I have been revising, although constantly putting off actually going to sit and do the exam. Probably since I was based in Liverpool due to University and didn't quite hit it off with the Flying School.

But im back in Ireland now and want to sit my exams ASAP.

I have no previous contacts within Irish Aviation so I call upon your knowledgeable minds to guide me in the right direction.

Im based in Dundalk so i dont mind travelling an hour or so to sit these.

At the minute i'm aware of Enniskillen, since it receives rave reviews on here, and many other website. Can anyone else guide me in the direction of other flight schools which i could sit my exams in.

Now i dont need the tuition that the likes of NFC are offering, just a CFI or equivalent to mark my paper.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

WILCO.XMG

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Where to sit PPL exams?

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:26 am

How's it going Wilco,

Important to find where you'll do the actual PPL flight training and test, there's no crossover with PPL exams between the CAA and IAA although there is with the ATPLs. Seen a guy get caught out by this before!!

At PPL level, the IAA will NOT accept a pass in the JAR-FCL PPL examinations obtained in another JAA Member State* for the issue of a PPL, as these examinations are produced on a ‘national’ basis and not via the JAA Central Question Bank. Applicants for an IAA-issued JAR-FCL PPL must pass the JAR-FCL PPL examinations in Ireland.

So if you want to train in the Republic you'll have to do the IAA PPL exams in the (Banana) Republic. If you're gonna do the flight training in a CAA approved facility such as Enniskillen, anywhere in the UK or places in the USA like OBA/EASA, EFT etc you'll want to do the CAA PPL exams. Enniskillen would be a good spot for the CAA PPL exams given your location.

I know with the IAA you have to sit an approved course of ground school, ballpark figure for mine with NFC a few year ago was €500! Then they'll sign and stamp you off so you can apply to sit your exams with the IAA. For the IAA this would be in Dublin City every second month.
I believe the CAA schools are more flexible where you can just do the exams at the flight school.

Good luck with them man
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Is that the way the IAA sit their exams.

Well that isnt very helpful at all, think i'll stick to the CAA schools.

Have inquired about Eglinton and Enniskillen, Eglinton sounds a little more promising as I have a relation up there so i could stop for tea.

Any other Schools you's would recommend, don't really fancy Newtownards.

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Just booked in to complete Flight Performance and Planning on Monday at 3pm.

Choose Enniskillen in the end. The fact that Eglinton couldn't provide facilities for the RT exam and the fact they seem less "professional" than Eglinton swung the balance.

Now to get the head in the books over the weekend for Monday.

Will keep ye updated.

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Just to let ye know i passed her anyway. 95%. 1 incorrect.

So thats my first official steps to getting my PPL.

Now to arrange my next one. Hoping to get Tech and Human Factors done in two weeks time. And hopefully arrange a medical too.

Steve the CFI was excellent, real down to earth and a hundred million miles away from the atmosphere at the last flight school i was at. He let me check out the 152 and the seaplane they have based there.

So i said i'll treat myself with a spin in it if i stick to my plan and pass all PPL Theorys, Medical and RT by the end of summer. Little nervous about the RT but practice makes perfect.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Congrats Wilco! If you passed that exam at 95% the rest will be a breeze.. :D

Yeah Steve is bang on, nice relaxed guy who defo knows his stuff.

You could check out CAP 413, it's an RT publication by the CAA, fairly concise and a sure cure for insomnia! Here's a link http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.pdf

Best of luck with the rest and keep us informed.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Dear those who are interested,

After two weeks of studying I have booked in next Thursday to sit more of my theory exams. This time I am trying to sit two exams at once; Human Factors and Aircraft Technical with Principles of Flight.

I am also getting booked in with an AME in Belfast for my class 2 medical. I have been out running regularly in preparation and hopefully all will go well. I am penciled in for this one Tuesday. Hopefully my Asthma, mild as it might be, won't become a problem.

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Dear friends,

Its the day before i sit two more theory PPL exams. Not sure if it is a good idea sitting these on the same day but hopefully ill find out tomorrow.

Booked into Eniskillen at 2.30pm hopefully come out with good news.

Medical didn't happen this week. Tried booking it for Tuesday past but the AME didn't seem in a rush to fit me in. Hopefully that will progress next week.

WILCO.XMG

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Dear all,

Good news. I have passed both exams with a grand total of 200%.

Human Factors was really quite easy and Aircraft Technical wasn't much harder to be honest. Next in line is Meteorology and Air Law. Im not expecting Ace's from the next two as they are snooze material.

Just want to say to anyone doing these theory exams to go and buy the PPL Perfector by Keith Williams. It is the nearest thing you will get to the exam and probably the difference in getting an 80% and a 100%. Also Steve there in Enniskillen Flying School is a great teacher if you are stuck with anything.

Now if i could ask for a little knowledge from someone. Hopefully next summer/Easter when i am finished University i am planning to going to the states and finish off the actual flying. And passing the practical test. However I was hoping to get both a JAA and a FAA PPL. I always thought the American is recognised worldwide etc. But i was hoping to do the revision for the practical FAA exam before I go out. Could anyone reccomend a book that would be suitable?

Regards,

WILCO.XMG

paulryanmini
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by paulryanmini » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:09 pm

just to say i completed all my Jar CAA ppl ground exams this week.
i also did r/t practical on Saturday
i attended Derek Davidson's intensive ground school in Bournemouth

I have nothing but admiration for Derek. For a man in his 70's he is fantastic.

There was me and one other man on the course.

Monday-Air law,
Tuesday-R/T theory and Flight Planning,
Wednesday-Navigation,
Thursday-Human performance and Met,
Friday-Aircraft Tech.
Saturday-R/T practical

i passed all exams with results above 90%

he has a very unique way of teaching and i found it worked very well.

this intensive approach worked for me as i find self study difficult.

if anyone wants anymore info drop me a pm

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Dear Bloggers,

Tomorrow is Exam day 3. Meteorology and Air Law and Operations await.

Not as confident in these as i have been in the previous, probably as the material seems far greater. But ive done past papers and hoping that the PPL Perfector will see me through.

Also booked in for the Medical @ 1800 in Belfast with Dr Houston.

Hoping to get all rid up by 10th August. Communications and Nav are next in the gauntlet. Not to mention the RT Practical. :/

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Dear all,

100% noted in Air Law and a reasonable 85% in Met.

I was marked incorrectly on the last question on MET, you know the really long one. I also choose gradient wind instead of pressure gradient wind. Aw well still passes.

Medical on Saturday will eventually give me a CAA Student Pilot number to fill in my paperwork.

And i am booked in for my final two exams next Wednesday, communications and nav. I also am booked in Friday afternoon to do my RT practical exam along with plenty of practice i will imagine.

So hopefully by next friday i am ready to take to the skies with all the paperwork behind me, although you never stop learning.

One of the guys asked me was i in a rush as i was leaving to which i repled no, so he asked would i give him a hand bringing the c152 to the hangar. i said i would. so he repayed me with a spin in the circuit.

cant wait to finish up now and then decide where to do my actual training. probably in the states it will all come down to time and money, like a lot of things in life.

WILCO.XMG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by WILCO.XMG » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:31 pm

Dear All,

Just back from Belfast with a full JAA Class 2 Medical Certificate in my hand. :mrgreen:

Another job done at a very reasonable price with an excellent service.

Now to study for Wednesdays exams.