English Language Proficiency

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Re: English Language Proficiency

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 pm

And why wouldn't they Jon? Won't the croppies lie down just like they have always done!

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Carrier Pigeon wrote:And why wouldn't they Jon? Won't the croppies lie down just like they have always done!
Yes, if we let them !

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:40 pm

neilr wrote: .....I still think it could be administered at a school level, even if we have to invest in some equipment for the test.... and we could throw in a combined the ELP for free

Neil
agree 100%

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:47 pm

jonkil wrote:... Yet powers that be are saying "we better check if these people can speak ENGLISH" !.... or are they using it as an excuse to pry more € out of us?
I'm sure as Irish citizens we must have the right to do the ELP as gaeilge..... that would be a bit of fun..... :D :twisted:

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:30 pm

hum wrote:I'm sure as Irish citizens we must have the right to do the ELP as gaeilge..... that would be a bit of fun..... :D :twisted:
Gerry, I wouldn't be bloody surprised if that came to pass !!!

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 pm

if we dont like the system then why not try and change it ? mount a picket on aviation house and show the public how stupid the system is . surely the aviation reprensentatives bodies could organise a picket to highlight the stupidity of it all. just dont organise it for the 25th of this month, ill be busy taking down the government that day .. :roll:

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Itz awl bkoz u lot kant speek d bludy inglis lingo dat we awl av 2 prov 2 IKAO dat we kan kumunikate proprli

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:14 pm

I have confirmed today with the Licencing section of the CAA that their current level 4 issued in March 2008 will now lapse in March 2012. Although all the information documentation on their own website indicates the original lapse date of March 2011, the wording of the extension was issued in an AIC on the NATS website.
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/curre ... 053_en.pdf
3.1 Following the publication by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) of the Comment/Response Document on Part-FCL, the CAA has decided to anticipate the adoption of the less onerous renewal intervals specified in the draft Part-FCL Implementation Rules, by applying a 4 year renewal period to Level 4.
It seems that the original 3 year renewal for Level 4 ELP was an ICAO recommendation and EASA are proposing a less stringent 4 year period as part of FCL-1 which the CAA are adopting now. The wording on the licence is "Language Proficiency: English" and does not contain a date so it will remain acceptable for flying here or internationally.
buggyB wrote:For those of us flying on a UK issued JAR licence, a nice lady in the Licencing Department of the CAA has told me today that they have decided to extend the deadline for the expiry of the current Level 4 ratings (which were automatically issued on the basis of a valid FRTOL) by another year,lapsing now in March 2012. This is the first time I have heard about this and when I tried to search the CAA website for confirmation I could not find anything. Being somewhat sceptical I will ring them again this week and try to talk to their ELP expert who is currently on leave. If I get an update I will post it here.

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks buggyb. i hope the IAA take note. anyone know what AOPA are doing on this ELP rubbish????.................................................i see, just as i suspected

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Fanstop wrote:Thanks buggyb. i hope the IAA take note. anyone know what AOPA are doing on this ELP rubbish????.................................................i see, just as i suspected
My God! Such childish crap from afar!
Your snydish remark serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. :shock:

Have you asked aopa that question?
Stop barking up empty trees and go and ask aopa for Gods sake!
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:52 pm

If AOPA had any clue or clout, this ELP baloney wouldn't have seen the light of day.

It goes something like this:
We all speak English - this is a universally known, understood and undisputed fact.
All PPL training & flight tests take place in the English Language
All RT takes place using the English Language
The IAA conducts all its business in English including its website.
Given the above the IAA already know that all Irish Born pilots are fluent in the English Language.
Given the above the IAA have the power to issue all Irish Citizens who are pilots, universal & permanent exemptions.
It should be pointed out to the IAA that they would be the Laughing Stock of the Irish Media if they attempted to pursue this issue through the courts.
It should also be pointed out to the IAA that any Judge listening to their arguments would dismiss them instantly as being idiotic & nonsensical.

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 am

Then please explain why UK pilots still have to be assessed??

The ELP had to be introduced by ICAO because of non-comprehension by unclear speaking pilots.
Watch "Air crash investigation" sometime and take note!

The REAL question that you should be asking is....
Why is the IAA demanding payment when they do not assess you?
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 am

No the real question is:
Why can the largest by far aviation country in the world give all their commercial pilots an automatic ELP pass for $2 and their PPLs an automatic exemption for $0 while Dumbo the Elephant i.e. Ireland can't?

The answer is that the FAA have a pro aviation ethos and should any of their employees even dream of pulling a stunt like the IAA have done, the USA AOPA would immediately kick up an enormous stink and make representations to Congress and have the FAA person responsible, carpeted.

Also,
The UK CAA are only one step above our IAA Gombeens but at least they only follow ICAOs request to the letter unlike our Zealots who not only follow it to the letter but then take it upon themselves to create a whole new requirement and demand microlight pilots to pass the ELP.
Oh sure I should have known, aren't Ireland's Microlight pilots the most qualified in the whole world? Don't Irish Microlight pilots have the ONLY ICAO Licence in the whole world? Aren't we just something else? We Irish, know more than anyone else, after all didn't we invent the Celtic Pussy :roll: :lol: :oops:

We're the laughing stock of the world in every possible way. We are a thundering disgrace. We are totally incapable of running our own affairs.

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 am

No the real question is:
Why can the largest by far aviation country in the world give all their commercial pilots an automatic ELP pass for $2 and their PPLs an automatic exemption for $0 while Dumbo the Elephant i.e. Ireland can't?

The answer is that the FAA have a pro aviation ethos and should any of their employees even dream of pulling a stunt like the IAA have done, the USA AOPA would immediately kick up an enormous stink and make representations to Congress and have the FAA person responsible, carpeted.

Also,
The UK CAA are only one step above our IAA Gombeens but at least they only follow ICAOs request to the letter unlike our Zealots who not only follow it to the letter but then take it upon themselves to create a whole new requirement and demand microlight pilots to pass the ELP.
Oh sure I should have known, aren't Ireland's Microlight pilots the most qualified in the whole world? Don't Irish Microlight pilots have the ONLY ICAO Licence in the whole world? Aren't we just something else? We Irish, know more than anyone else, after all didn't we invent the Celtic Pussy :roll: :lol: :oops:

We're the laughing stock of the world in every possible way. We are a thundering disgrace. We are totally incapable of running our own affairs.

Carrier Pigeon
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Carrier Pigeon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:50 am

No the real question is:

Also,