Salthill Airshow?

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

robfahy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Salthill Airshow?

Post by robfahy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 am

Does anyone know if there'll be a Salthill Airshow this year?
I see from the official Volvo Ocean Race Galway programme that the Red Arrows Display will be at 12 noon on Sat 30th May...
http://www.letsdoitgalway.com/uplds/bro ... inal_4.pdf

There will then be an in-port race for the yachts at 1pm.
I know from previous years the airshow would normally start at 3pm with the Red Arrows finale at 5pm.
They'll hardly have an airshow starting at 10am.
I also see that the Irish Coast Guard is doing a display in Salthill on the 29th.
It looks to me like it'll just be the Red Arrows on the 30th.

Rob.

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:47 pm

No airshow this year..the anti war protesters stopped them. :evil:

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm

No they didn't, they don't have that much influence. They are a tiny little group with little support in Galway despite their high opinion of themselves. What stopped it is the lukewarm attitude of the local council and businesses despite all the money they gained from the huge attendance. An all too typical Galway mentality, :roll: I'm afraid. It was costing too much to stage and very little sponsorship or help was forthcoming. Contrast it with the fuss over the Volvo boat race which only has five competitors but seem to have massive sponsorship and support from the local worthies eager to clean up that weekend.

Meanwhile, other more progressive towns are beginning to step in and consider airshows. Galway's loss.

I think, but I don't know that the Red Arrows were invited with help from the airshow committee. They haven't gone away.

As far as I know someone who posts here is close to the scene and may tell us more.

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:20 pm

vanman wrote:I think, but I don't know that the Red Arrows were invited with help from the airshow committee.

They were.

vanman wrote:They haven't gone away.
Shhhh

vanman wrote:As far as I know someone who posts here is close to the scene and may tell us more.

I can when im allowed to post! :-)

[/quote]

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:30 pm

I can when im allowed to post!

Who's stopping you ? ? ? ? ?

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:12 pm

JUst a note to say anyone can ask the reds to perform but there are a few catches, the main one being that it benefits the RAF. We used to get them to come by our gliding place in Scotland as there was Air Cadets there.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:09 am

Well there are no recruitment benefits for the RAF displaying in Galway given that we are not exactly British. So there must be some other reason. Warthog's connections must be pretty strong. The Reds always got a great reaction in Salthill. I remember the crowd in Salthill deliberately drowning out the protestors when the Red Arrows performed one year. The GAAW bunch would shout 'shame' and the crowd in their vicinity would cheer excessively loudly at each pass. Eventually the GAAW lot moved away to escape the abuse they were getting.

Everyone loves the Red Arrows.

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am

It would be great to see the Red Arrows back in Salthill.
The anti war protesters are up there with tree huggers, hippys and those ar*eholes called plane stupid, the best recourse is to just ignore them.......give them a few years they'll be trying to ban christmas...muppets....!!!

Anti War Protesters = AWP = Ar*eholes With Placards.

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 pm

DonalMW wrote:
I can when im allowed to post!

Who's stopping you ? ? ? ? ?

Still have to yet announce another act thats why. All in good time.

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:29 pm

inverted wrote:It would be great to see the Red Arrows back in Salthill.

Well they are coming. :D

trackerman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by trackerman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:32 pm

30th of may isn't it? To coincide with the Volvo Ocean Race. I think there will be an airshow in clifden this year, how big, I don't know. Its the 90th or 100th anniversary of hitchcock and brown or something.

Hornet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Hornet » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:55 pm

This might get your attention.... http://www.salthillairshow.com/ Watch this space?????? :shock:

trackerman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by trackerman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Hornet wrote:This might get your attention.... http://www.salthillairshow.com/ Watch this space?????? :shock:

Thanks for sharing, sounds like theres work going on behind the scenes alright! Wohoo! :D

I just made this poll - show your support or opposition to the airshow here

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:34 pm

trackerman wrote: Its the 90th or 100th anniversary of hitchcock and brown or something.

Yes, Alfred Hitchcock and Gordon Brown, first to cross the atlantic faster than sound at Kitty Hawk in the Spirit of Saint Louis, if my memory serves me correctly. Single handedly won us the war of independance, it did.

Apparently the Clifden show will be devoid of militaria due to some local nobody councellor cow-towing to a loud mouthed plane hating minority, or so it would seem.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:35 am

vanman wrote:Well there are no recruitment benefits for the RAF displaying in Galway given that we are not exactly British. So there must be some other reason. Warthog's connections must be pretty strong. The Reds always got a great reaction in Salthill. I remember the crowd in Salthill deliberately drowning out the protestors when the Red Arrows performed one year. The GAAW bunch would shout 'shame' and the crowd in their vicinity would cheer excessively loudly at each pass. Eventually the GAAW lot moved away to escape the abuse they were getting.

Everyone loves the Red Arrows.

who said anything about recruitment? and anyway the nationality rules state that if you are from the UK, Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland, you CAN join the RAF.

See this for details. Clickey
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.