Clifden Air Show to exclude military aircraft

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

PlaneCrazy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Clifden Air Show to exclude military aircraft

Post by PlaneCrazy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Some Jerk Off called Cllr Seosamh Ó Cuaig Connemara councillor has commended the organisers of Clifden's Air Show for their decision not to invite foreign military aircraft to the event, which will take place in June.

The Clifden Air Show on 15 June will therefore be an excellent family occasion in a perfect location. As a member of the Galway Alliance Against War, I actively opposed the presence of warplanes at the infamous Salthill Air Show. Warplanes at a public air show inevitably sanitise the horrors of what these weapons of mass destruction inflict on poor peoples around the world. By barring warplanes from the Clifden event, the organisers are showing that people can appreciate the wonders of aviation without resorting to these death machines. Well done Clifden!"

Is this guy living in the dark ages or what when are they going to smell the sh^* they are shoveling

Im sure the Irish Pilatus will be there what does he think we got them for ?????????? Popping down to the local shop cause the mammy is out of tea bags !!!!!!!

Humbug

Click on my poll :lol:

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Not sure if the descriptive adjective Some Jerk Off will bode well with the moderators here as a term to describe Mr Ó Cuaig, but I would imagine your sentiments would be echoed throughought the GA community nonetheless.

Military aircraft make airshows, for me. They represent the very pinnicle of engineering achievement and pilot skill and people should be allowed admire and appreciate them for this reason. I don't like my day being ruined by a bunch of tree hugging no good do-gooders.

Im sure the Irish Pilatus will be there what does he think we got them for ?????????? Popping down to the local shop cause the mammy is out of tea bags !!!!!!!

They're not good for much else in fairness.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 pm

I dunno, while I'm certainly no tree hugger, I do have a problem with military aircraft been flaunted at shows. In fact, I have a problem with the whole military industry as a whole, ie. it's a trillion dollar industry so it must be sustained by continual conflict; take away the wars and there are a whole lot of people outta work. Where would the like of Lockheed Martin etc be without these big orders? But let's not go down that road....

To be honest I don't really have much interest in military planes. Yes the agility and manoeuvrability of these machines is amazing but give me Eddie Goggins any day! Having fighters displaying their moves at a public show is in itself a move to try to win over the public and glamourise what are indeed weapons of mass destruction.

And before you bite my head off, it's just my opinion....I'm entitled to it! :wink: And unlike what nanolight says, I'm not so sure the consensus is as great as he thinks.....

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Lets remember folks, that it's not aircraft that wage war...but people. I grew up in the UK during the seventies and the sights and sounds of low level Phantoms, Hunters, Lightnings etc instilled an interest in aviation that has lasted throughout my life.
Regards the PC-9's...........they are a very capable aircraft for their intended role in the IAC.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:59 am

I suppose an RAF SAR Sea King would be out of the question? :roll:

The ultimate aim of military aircraft is to prevent war..

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 am

Was the Vickers Vimy not a bomber in the first place!!! :lol:

Its the usual claptrap.

At all the Salthill & Air Specs, there were always a few who proclaimed to represnt the silent majority. Meanwhile, the silent majority were eating chips with their kids and watching the F-15s in the sky.

The sad thing about this is that Clifden Chamber of Commerce have apparently accepted it, without a whimper

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 am

hum wrote:The ultimate aim of military aircraft is to prevent war..

Well they don't do a very good job now do they....being the No. 1 weapon of choice in carrying out war!!!

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Were it not for military research and development, we wouldn't have many of the advances in aviation and general technology we enjoy today.

GPS started off in the military, as did the use of radios for comms, carbon fibre, supersonic travel, satellite communication, nuclear power, semiconductor technology, ... the INTERNET originated as a means for unites states military establishments to communicate.

I do not condone exploding villages full of children or the proliferation of weapons for the purposes of economic sustainance. As an engineer I appreciate the technology. As I pilot I enjoy watching the manouvers.

Regardless of all of the above, why should the shouting minority prevent me from enjoying a military display? As was said above, the silent majority are too busy enjoying the aircraft to get involved in a debate such as this. I like Extra300 displays too, but there's a need for a bit of variety, no?

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Nanolight wrote:Were it not for military research and development <snip> the INTERNET originated as a means for unites states military establishments to communicate.

I thought t'internet was developed by CERN (them of the big bang machine).

As an aside I think military aircraft are the mutts nuts and most people I know think the same.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:51 pm

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:56 pm

ok fair enough but see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet then scroll down to growth.

Although the basic applications and guidelines that make the Internet possible had existed for almost two decades, the network did not gain a public face until the 1990s. On 6 August 1991, CERN, a pan european organisation for particle research, publicized the new World Wide Web project. The Web was invented by English scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1989.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 am

I'm amazed how quickly topics change here :)....

For me, warplanes are good to watch for the sheer noise and power factor. A large airshow would not be complete without them.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:10 pm

ifty wrote:ok fair enough but see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet then scroll down to growth.

[...]The Web was invented by English scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1989.

The internet isn't the same thing as the world wide web. The internet was around for a long time before 1991.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 pm

And it switches back off-topic. :roll:

If you want to discuss the formation of the internet, can i suggest boards.ie or some other forum, but leave this one to flying

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Look, my points are as follows:

*Military aircraft represent the next stage in technology, and that this has generally always been the way throughout history. Giving out about military technology using a means of communication invented and developed for the military is... well... slightly ironic I suppose.

*Most people like military aircraft at airshows. I personally believe that an airshow wouldn't be the same without them. But people just don't feel strongly enough about seeing them to campaign for their presence. Conversely, a minority are opposed to their involvement, but this minority feel much more strongly about it, and hense are louder and get much more attention than they deserve. It's like when I was in college a load of hippies held a vote to ban coca cola because it was 'evil'. The only people who voted were the ones who held this opinion and while 99% of students disagreed (or indeed like myself acknowleged that Coca Cola was evil but didn't care because it tasted nice), Coke got banned and we all had to do without it.

*They should invite them from other countries. What about neutral countries even?
Last edited by Nanolight on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.