Spotting area nr. old long term car park, DUB?

Disscusion on plane spotting, visitors, airlines, routes, airports, equipment etc.

Moderator: mark

Akerosid
Unverified User
Unverified User

Spotting area nr. old long term car park, DUB?

Post by Akerosid » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Maybe someone can help me with this; haven't been to DUB for some time, but last year, I found a great place - a mound just outside the (now closed) long term car park, which offered superb views of acft on t/o from 28.

Unfortunately, the authorities seem to have found it, because on my last visit, one side of the mound, near the entrance, was fenced off and I'm guessing the same is intended for the other side, which would be a great pity, as there are some pretty spectacular opportunities on a good day:

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5997375&nseq=90

Does anyone know what the current situation with this area is? Has anyone visited it recently?

Dublin Spotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

re spotting locations

Post by Dublin Spotter » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:13 pm

askeroid,

If 10 is operational, there is a spot furher on from where you listed, there are "New" mounds where this car park extension has just been completed. Ther is also unoffical off road parking, you have to ignore the no left turn allowed sign though.

I have to say though that Im rather Pi24ed off that the DAA are not taking aviation enthuiasts seriously by not allowing for dedicated areas in the new terminal like other airport do, I wonder if Mcevady will aloow this on his terminal if it ever gets the green light. More power to him going to competition authority way.

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:17 pm

Has anyone in Dublin written to the DAA?

There are a lot of spotters in Dublin, they need to get together and engage with the DAA and the Fingal ? Council.

One of these days, for whatever excuse is dream't up, that road along 28 and 10 will be closed off to cars stopping. That would be a shame.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm not a spotter guys but I'm aware of the extent of works coming up as part of the new T2 development.

The works extend weel beyond the footprint of the new terminal whether it be a materials delivery compound or a collection/drop-off point for labour; I would suggest that now would be a good time to begin dialogue with the DAA and get someone on-side as it would take very little along side the already planned development to accomodate spotters around the airfield.

Good luck.
Another broken undercarriage........

Akerosid
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Akerosid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Dogbiscuit wrote:Has anyone in Dublin written to the DAA?

There are a lot of spotters in Dublin, they need to get together and engage with the DAA and the Fingal ? Council.

One of these days, for whatever excuse is dream't up, that road along 28 and 10 will be closed off to cars stopping. That would be a shame.

Unfortunately, all it will take is someone being knocked down and at the speed some of those buses and particularly, artic lorries go, it's amazing it hasn't happened already. I was heartened to know that the PP for the new runway included the provision of viewing areas, but that will be facing the wrong way (into the sun) for photos ... a good viewing area along the south side of 28 would be ideal. The long term car park, to which I referred above, would be ideal; cars could park off the road (the car park itself is no longer in use); an entry fee could be charged if necesary and it could be made to work, if the will were there.

Dublin Spotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dublin Spotter » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:05 pm

I agree, as this car park is shut until at least the Summer season kicks off the DAA could make some revenu whil it is closed during th ewinter. I for one would not mind paying a mimal fee for parking there,however there is no payment options at the car park, this has to be completed at the terminal pay stations.

I have trid on numerous occassions to contact the DAA to see if there are any provisions in the new terminal for aviation galleries, no responce.

I wonder if McEvady gets the green light will there be anything setup for T3

Here's hoping

Akerosid
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Akerosid » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:16 pm

Just back from a wonderful day at the airport; thanks very much for pointing out that new (to me!) parking area just beyond the long term car park; certainly a fabulous place for shots. A combination rare for Feb - beautiful day, mild temperatures and quite a few interesting movements (Austrian A321, two Lauda 737s and a Lauda 320!) - made it a hugely enjoyable morning!

As for McEvaddy, it's a long time before any decision will be made on T3, although it is heartening that some arrangements for viewing were included in the PP for the new runway, so maybe some arrangements could be made for the current runway. Really, because of the sun, the locations on the southern side of 10/28 are most important; I'm assuming that any viewing locations for the new runway will be north facing and therefore not as desirable.

robclay26
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robclay26 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:11 am

I agree totally, the car park down beside the start of rwy 28 that is just a pull iin area of the road is far too small, its only spring time and its a lottery to get a car park space. fine at moment we can move up to the slip road entrance to the long term car park beside the harristown bus station and stand on the bank, but what when the daa open this car park for the summer season again? also summertime, sunny sunday afternoons there is about a 200% increase in demand for parking at the viewing car park beside rwy 28, as stated already the speed of trucks, and other cars along the strech of the road is crazy, I dunno how there hasn't been more accidents.
this viewing car park should be moved further bck towards the ditch/hedge, have a low wall between the front of the car park and the edge of the road, a proper entrance and exit, 60km speed limit in this area, from irish helicopters to the start of rwy 34. also the car park should be raised up in height to see over that stupid high fence, the car park should be doubled in size, and what would be nice but been ireland it wouldn't happen and it would be broken up by thuggs would be to have nice picnic tables, to the west of the current carpak up hight on what is now muck and have a even higher viewing place with seating etc.
viewing is gettin gharder and harder in this country, and shannon, sure u would get into baldonnel easier to look around as to getting by them assholes doing security on the way into shannon airport!
lets all hope or to some action about getting viewing areas improved/saved/upgraded and even more important for dublin safer!
cheers
robbie

Dublin Spotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

re: spotting EIDW

Post by Dublin Spotter » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:16 pm

The only problem is that the road running along 28 is to be upgraded to a dual carrigeway as part of the Airport re-devolpment, which means all the spots there will be gone as soon as this road is started.