ATPL school rep

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:30 pm

'good Irish students' I think the key word here is good not Irish. You really need to understand the Aer Lingus's selection process. It is such that they delve into various aspects of your training record to see if you were consistently good, passed all your exams first time, never got a partial in your flight tests, got a good leaving cert, had an honours degree in college, was Captain of your rugby team etc ad nauseum. For that very reason, quite a few of the recent intake are in fact British, quite simply because there are not enough 'good Irish students'. If there was a preference for Irish per se. Then they would not be quite so fussy and would maintain a higher standad for non Irish. In effect they cream off all the candidates from integrated courses that they can.

I think their requirements are idiotically strict. But that is the right as a company. Ironically far from favouring Irish pilots the result is to exclude many perfectly good Irish candidates and open the door to others who meet their requirements.

Being Irish and applying for any Irish airline won't do you any harm but is no advantage unless you meet the standard they want.

shamrock/heavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shamrock/heavy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:08 pm

For sure if you are Irish but a danger in an aircraft or struggle passing exams then you can forget about it, that is as it should be with any airline. I meet the criteria so far with 3 out of 5 flight tests done with good grades so fingers crossed for getting a job in Shamrock in a few months time if not any other airline will do nicely.

Amg182, i am currently training in Flight Training Europe in Jerez and without starting the whole modular integrated debate again i am happy with that choice i made. Thank God i came when i did though because the course price has gone up 10 grand since :roll: .

mosquito
Unverified User
Unverified User

where are ye?

Post by mosquito » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Anybody out there who completed the ATPL's in ireland last year? where are ye now? airlines? instructing?...Those on the latter end of the training ladder, what's the prognosis? Are ye airline bound? Curious. Tks in advance. :roll:
Tally ho Tally ho!!!!

SkyhawkCommander
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by SkyhawkCommander » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:12 pm

You do not have to have gone to OAT or FTE to get into EI with low hours. More modular students than FTE students were taken on over the summer.

shamrock/heavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shamrock/heavy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Skyhawkcommander. Reading over my posts i never mentioned that modular students are not taken on by Lingus, i just went to Jerez because i decided to check it out along with a long list of both modular and integrated schools in the UK Ireland and Europe and to me it looked like the best envirnment both socially, academically, and of course weather wise to achieve the licence. Of course modular students get jobs otherwise there wouldn't be people in the business of modular training, as do integrated students get jobs each type of training has it's pro's and con's and its up to the individual to decide which one is for him/her.

"Those on the latter end of the training ladder, what's the prognosis? Are ye airline bound?"

Hopefully, no guarantees though. A lot of airlines start recruiting in Spring again.