Air Corps SAR

Anything to do with the Air Corps...

Moderator: mark

Lynx
Unverified User
Unverified User

Air Corps SAR

Post by Lynx » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi everyone - I've just got my account activated. :D My name is Eoin, I'm structural engineering student.

For years i've been interested in SAR from both the sea and air aspect. naturally, i was a little pissed when the air corps ended search and rescue operations. :cry: it ended any realistic chance i had of becoming a SAR pilot. :evil:

but i see the AW139's are fitted with winches :shock: .... anyone know whats the story there??? are the air corps gearing up to get back into that arena, or are they there purely there for light lifting, or something?? :? i think i read somewhere that the helicoptor was built with maritime operations and SAR in mind, among other roles... :roll:

I'd love to find out more, anyone have any ideas??? :idea:

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Only just saw this. But don't get your hopes up. The Air Corps are out of the SAR business for the forseeable. But it would be, theoretically possible to end up flying the Coastguard by doing your time in the Air Corps then moving to CHC for SAR work or even getting a heli licence and eventually get taken on to fly the S61's. A friend of mine did just that.

It would be my dream job too.

However that would be like winning the lotto and picking the all the winners at the Galway races two years running.

The RAF and the RN are out too unless you are British born so scratch that too.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:30 pm

Since when are Irish people not allowed to join the RAF?

See here Lynx:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/faqs.cfm

You can join the British military is you so wish, so long as you were born in the ROI or a commonwealth country, and in fact lots of Irish people do.

The only restriction is that women are restriced from joining front line fighting roles.

It never ceases to amaze me the 'advise' some people dish out on here....
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

TrickyDicky
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TrickyDicky » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Is that the same RAF and RN that everybody that can is leaving becasue you constantly get shot at :shock:
TD

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Yes, and the one with the decent planes and stuff.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.