PPL recieved and looking for cheap flying/hour building

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

PPL recieved and looking for cheap flying/hour building

Post by GJOYT » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:29 pm

I've just recieved my pilots licence today in the post and I'm wondering about hour building as soon as possibe. I am aware of doing this over in the states and all but I would just like to inquire about cheap flying here. In the region of Sligo, Abbeyshrule and Weston. I also remember once hearing there recently someone sayin about being able to rent a C-172 for 130 euro an hour with no memebership fees or anything at Weston?? I would like to find out more about this as i am keen to get hours under the belt. I would appreciate any information on this.
Thanks,
Regards Keith
Last edited by GJOYT on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:10 pm

If your keen to get hours built cheaply then go to Forida and do 100+ hours in 4 to 5 weeks.

You certainly wont get that done here.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:01 pm

I am aware of doing this over in the states and all but I would just like to inquire about cheap flying here.[/quote]
I would only like to inquire about doing this here. I know its an option but just for the time being.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:35 pm

Cheap?

Surely you have heard the term Rip Off Ireland? :lol: :lol:

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Ha ha I'm well aware of that but I mean the cheapest I can get or the most amount of hours for the money. But I remember reading someones post but I forget who it was but it said something about a C-172 at weston for 130 euro an hour wit no memembership fees??..

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi G-JOYT,

NFC used to be ?140 per hour but now its ?160 per hour (C172) but they now charge tach + 10% so if you cruise at a lower RPM it'll cost you less.

I think the only other place you'll get it cheaper than that is in a flying club but then you get into membership fees etc.

Hope this helps,

Mark

airportflyingclub.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airportflyingclub.com » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:29 pm

G-JOYT - please check your PM!

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:52 am

Thank you very much mark. Do you know what the situation is on check outs or going solo? Like I'm sure you cant just walk in off the street and flash the licence and off you go? Do they have a thing where its mandatory to do 5hrs with an instructor before you can go solo?? What about their 152s, how much are they? I think they have a grob would love to fly that looks fun to fly. So do they just have C-150, 152 ,172 and a Grob? I thought I heard before of a DA-20 Katana in weston? Dont know if it belongs to this school or not? And lastly do NFC have membership fees?
Regards,
G-JOYT

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:24 am

General conversions are obviously required if you havent flown a craft and been rated on it. As far as NFC goes, I think once you have your license, logbook, and your credible (i.e. you haven't gotten a micky mouse PPL from some far strewn country, you'll be fine). Think C150/2's are in around 140e solo???

I heard the Grob was gone recently, but perhaps not?

BTW, I know I havent appeared on the scene in nearly three months Mark, but been very busy between business, social and other stuff, will be back out to you soon, I hear alot of young students are walking through the doors saying they want Alpha Tango lately from me :lol:

Regards, & Hope it helps!

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:44 am

G-JOYT, this idea may seem totally out of reach to you, but it's VERY cheap once you source the inital capital. Why not look into buying into a group aeroplane, a modern Group A aircraft for example. You'd probably need in or around the 10k mark to buy into a group, but it's not money you're going to lose, you could sell on your share when you leave the group. Just take an example of a Sportscruizer. A group are forming here in Waterford around one. Brand new aircraft, very comfortable, fantastic payload ( 2 large adults and full fuel with luggage ), great cruise speed, fantastic short field performance and best of all, it'll burn ?15 an hour at most of mogas, it's a Group A aircraft, so the hours do count.

Or even consider setting up a new group... Just to get that inital kick in the back for the money for the share because no Cessna or Piper is cheap to fly, no matter what way you look at it. They burn lots of fuel, too slow for what they burn, wont carry much load.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:02 pm

Well I have flown 150's, 152's and 172's before but I would have more hours on a PA-28 and a DA-20. 140e solo for 150/2? Doesnt sound too bad considering if you dont have to pay for membership fees? I got a quote of ?95 per hour on a DA-20 which is about the same roughly. But the Katana doesnt burn much fuel and is cheap to run compared to a 150/2 so it could be far better than that.
Flyer1 I am a 17 year old student doing the Leaving cert so I'm afraid that thats totally out of the question as I could not afford it. Find it hard enough to rent as it is but I still appreciate your reply maybe something in the future when I have more money hopefully!

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:40 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi G-JOYT,

There used to be a 5 hour check-out with an instructor but this has or is about to be changed. It will be based on your flying hours to date, a check out will be required but the number of hours may be less or greater depending on your experience. How many hours have you? There are no membership fees.

They have C172's, C150/C152, C172RG and a PA-18 Super Cub. The grob has been sold and the Katana is under several inches of dust awaiting a new engine!

C172 ?160 solo
C150/C152 ?140 solo
C172RG not for solo flying at the moment
PA 18 Super Cub ?160 solo

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mark

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:33 pm

Cheers Mark!! I must go down or possibly even fly down some day in the near future and have a look around for myself. Would I get it at a reduced rate if I bought a block of hrs together?? Like the choice of aircraft!

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:44 pm

As far as I am aware NFC do not sell blocks of hours....I can vouch for the tach rate being very favourable to the wallet if you keep the RPM down! Saves a fortune!