Flying club at Dublin airport

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

EI-MAY
Unverified User
Unverified User

Flying club at Dublin airport

Post by EI-MAY » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Anybody know if the airport flying club is open to new members?

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Flying club at Dublin airport

Post by OW wright » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:17 pm

EI-MAY wrote:Anybody know if the airport flying club is open to new members?

hello EI-MAY,

Yes, check out the website , www.airportflyingclub.com ,for contact details.

regards,

O.W.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Just as a general inquiry could any current members comment on what aircraft availability is like?

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Maverick wrote:Just as a general inquiry could any current members comment on what aircraft availability is like?

hello Maverick,

Aircraft availability is good, if you want to do more than just an hours local flying there's no problem taking the aircraft away for the day, or if you want, a coulple of days.

O.W.
Last edited by OW wright on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 pm

they have fairly reasonable tach rates also,would be interested apart from the damn m50!

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:56 pm

Maverick wrote:they have fairly reasonable tach rates also,would be interested apart from the damn m50!

Maverick,

Very reasonale tacho rates given where the club is based. You would have to go to flying clubs based outside Dublin to find better rates.

Where about's do you live ,there's more than one way to get to the airport. It also depends what time your on the M50, i was on it the other morning about 10 o'clock passing through the toll bridge. Traffic was heavy but moving well.

you might want to reconsider joining .

O.W.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Another club I have heard good things about is Dublin Flyers(www.dublinflyers.com). And the current rate is only ?110 per tacho hour with landing fees at dublin included. Im heading to the states for PPL training in 2 weeks and will be looking to join them when I get back.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:12 pm

bean_ian wrote:Another club I have heard good things about is Dublin Flyers(www.dublinflyers.com). And the current rate is only ?110 per tacho hour with landing fees at dublin included. Im heading to the states for PPL training in 2 weeks and will be looking to join them when I get back.

according to the Dublin Flyers website :

The club has 2 aircraft a Piper Cherokee and a Piper Arrow.

EI - CMB is a PA 28 Cherokee Cruiser ?110 per hour.

EI - EDR is a PA 28R Arrow ?140 per hour. (was 130 euro)

Both rates are WET and Landing Fees are Not included.

reasonable rates all the same but good to know how they are applied

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:59 pm

A correction there OW...

Landing fees at Dublin Airport are included in the Dublin Flyers rates ;) The website site needs to be fixed.....it should say that the landing fees are included.

Maverick,

I don't know why you'd let the M50 put you off, joining the Airport Flying Club. Are you really likely to be going flying during rush hour traffic?

I live quite close to Weston, but it never takes me more than 30 mins to drive to Dublin Airport. When I was flying at NFC, I was usually waiting a long time for the previous renter to return with the aircraft! A lot longer than 30 mins! That of course is if it wasn't gone tech when I got there (and no one bothered to call to let me know) of if it wasn't double booked.

I fly with Dublin Flyers, but from what I see of our neighbours, the Airport Flying Club, I could only say good things about them. It's a very well run club, with an active membership and a good social side. Unlike the commercial schools at Weston, it's very much geared up towards pilots who already have their licence.

I really think that anyone who has their licence, and flys more than 15 hours a year is wasting their money flying in circles with any of the commercial schools in Weston. They really ought to be either buying themselves a share, or joining one of the clubs at Dublin (or one of the clubs further afield if that are close enough to them), and getting the freedom to do what airplanes are meant to do....go places.

A day trip to Cork is 125nm each way.

Or with the freedom (gained from being a member of a true club) to take an aircraft away for a weekend:
A weekend in the Isle of Man is 71nm each way.
A weekend in Caernarfon in Wales is 72nm each way.
A weekend in Blackpool is 117nm each way.
A weekend in Liverpool is 123nm each way.
A weekend in the Inner Hebridies is 136nm each way.
A weekend in Manchester (Barton) is 139nm each way.

Which would you rather spend your money on? I know which I spend my money on, and there's no way I'd go back to hiring for a couple of hours from a school in Weston :D

Flying is never cheep, but you can get a lot better value for the money that you spend ;) The difference between a drive to Weston & a drive to Dublin Airport is so small, it should be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things ;)

P

airportflyingclub.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airportflyingclub.com » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:49 am

Hello EI-MAY,

Yes, the Airport Flying Club is open to new members. We are restricted in how many students we can take on, but if you have a PPL already, there should be no problems.

New members are allocated an instructor and provided with C172 type training if required, and Dublin Airport procedures training.

We operate two Cessna 172's, EI-OFM and EI-ING. Both aircraft are immaculately maintained and are in great condition.

Our members enjoy local flying out of Dublin Airport as well as cross country trips or even trips abroad. The club trys to encourage members to enjoy their PPL a little more beyond the "60mins around the control zone". Through our "flying buddies" scheme, members often group together to organise trips and share the cost. Last summer 6 members took both aircraft for a trip to the Channel Islands and France. "November Golf" is an ideal tourer with long range tanks.

The membership rates for the club is 750euro per year plus a once off joining fee of 125 euro. The hourly rate is 130euro per hour (tacho). This includes fuel and landing at Dublin.

As another poster on the board said, you can check out our web site for more information and pictures of the aircraft... http://www.airportflyingclub.com.

If you would like to speak to someone, please feel free to give me a shout. You can email ciaran_j_mitchell@hotmail.com or give me a buzz on 086 8105411. I'd be happy to chat with you regarding flying out Dublin Airport.

Thanks for your interest in the club.

Kind regards,

Ciaran Mitchell,
Membership Secretary,
Airport Flying Club.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:34 pm

hello Pilot,

Pilot wrote:A correction there OW... Landing fees at Dublin Airport are included in the Dublin Flyers rates ;) The website site needs to be fixed.....it should say that the landing fees are included.

i stand corrected ,thank you for clearing that up.

Pilot wrote:When I was flying at NFC, I was usually waiting a long time for the previous renter to return with the aircraft! A lot longer than 30 mins! That of course is if it wasn't gone tech when I got there (and no one bothered to call to let me know) of if it wasn't double booked.

I too used to fly at Weston and couldn't agree more with you P. One of the reasons i joined the Airport Flying Club, apart from having good availability and two well maintained aircraft and also very reasonable hourly rates, was for the reasons you've stated.

Pilot wrote:I fly with Dublin Flyers, but from what I see of our neighbours, the Airport Flying Club, I could only say good things about them. It's a very well run club, with an active membership and a good social side. Unlike the commercial schools at Weston, it's very much geared up towards pilots who already have their licence.

I would recommend both clubs at Dublin Airport to anyone.

Pilot wrote:Which would you rather spend your money on? I know which I spend my money on, and there's no way I'd go back to hiring for a couple of hours from a school in Weston :D

Not only that, but you have a group of people with whom you can share a flight with. For me flying is more enjoyable if you have someone else to fly with , especially on cross country flights or cross water flights.

O.W.

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:21 pm

hi all,

Thanks for the good posts. I am seriously considering joining the club because the maths speaks for itself and is more suited to my needs given my current flying status. In particular i find the block hour buying very interesting but my only concern is what if the club has financial difficulties half way through the year and unforseen events mean it must cease ops?maybe im going a little over the top but i dont fancy losing a couple of ???'s!

Regards
Maverick

EI-MAY
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EI-MAY » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:12 am

Thanks for the info folks.