Latest Nasty Weston Rumour

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Latest Nasty Weston Rumour

Post by OnTheNumbers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:53 am

.... is that sometime after Weston goes Class C next week, there will be no training flights allowed after 5pm. The story goes that there will be no controllers in EIWT after that time, in which case control reverts to Dublin and no training flights will be permitted.

I've heard that this may not happen until after the Ryder cup ends, which isn't all that far away. Apparently, there is to be a meeting with stakeholders in the coming days/weeks.

Weston seems to have a fairly clear vision for the future and growing the pool of pilots doesn't feature. I'm curious to know where they think future owner operators are going to come from?

Given that its getting harder and harder to join a club, I may yet give up this lark and find me a flexwing.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:22 am

hello OTN,

interesting news!!

the problem as i see it, is that Weston will not be a stand alone CTR, like Galway ,Waterford, Kerry and Donegal which are Class C but revert to Class G when ATC service is not provided or outside the hours of operation.

the Dublin CTR has been expanded to include Weston and the R15 and then they make Weston sound all important by designating their area of responsibility.

if Weston was a stand alone CTR, then when there is no ATC service provided it would revert to Class G and everyone could work away as normal

the fact is that dublin ATC aren't going to want to keep an eye on Weston and Dublin at the same time especially at peak times at Dublin.

there should be at least a Class G coridoor from Weston out to Maynooth if no ATC service is going to be provided after 5 pm.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Latest Nasty Weston Rumour

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:12 pm

OnTheNumbers wrote:.... I'm curious to know where they think future owner operators are going to come from?

Apart from the airspace issues, which I'm inclined to agree with OW wright, Weston is getting ready for the huge growth in buissness aviation. Companys in Europe are buying up large amounts of these new VLJ's (Very Light Jet), and the growing charter market, Net Jets Europe. Flex Jet, among many. Weston will become an airport like Biggin Hill, which the giant TAG Air has pumped millions into to cater for this growth. I'm sure Westons owners are quite aware of this trend and I'm sure will "cash in", first with the Ryder Cup as an "appiteser" with the "entre" to follow in the years to come. Its a shame, but I'm sure there will be room for all. When I fly here(USA) I fly away from these area's...who wants to fly in saturated areas anyway.......??

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:25 pm

"...but I'm sure there will be room for all."

I don't belive there will. Weston's owners have reassured the airfields noise sensitive neighbours that movement numbers are down and that that is the way Weston want it. Operators are already prohibited from expanding their training fleets.
Financially, losing FTOs/RTFs off the field will be no loss to Weston as they will easily recoup the money with a small increase in jet traffic - to which there will be less resistance from the afore-mentioned neighbours.

PPL training is on the way out in Weston - it's just a case of when, though I hope I'm wrong.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Given that its getting harder and harder to join a club, I may yet give up this lark and find me a flexwing.

been thinking the same myself lately................
Another broken undercarriage........

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Not sure exactly what you mean by that.

Both clubs at Dublin Airport are open to new members, and and vastly more suited to those with their PPL's than the training schools in Weston.

Dublin Flyers
info@dublinflyers.com

Airport Flying Club
ciaran_j_mitchell@hotmail.com

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:51 pm

hi all

were will flight schools like the NFC and flightwise and all the other FTO's at Weston go if they are eventually forced out of Weston?

what are their options?

I for one think that we should have more FTO's at Dublin airport ,i know it will never happen but i can't think of a better place to learn not only to fly but also to learn your RT.

They could use local airfields for circuit training as the FTO's at Dublin airport do.
short fields tend to concentrate the mind a bit more when you have only say 450 - 500 meters to land and take-of again! as opposed to having a 1500 m runway !!

more FTO's should be able to operate at Dublin without infringing on commercial ops.

there is a flight school in Cork Airport , in England for example you have flight schools in Manchester and Liverpool airports, so why not Dublin?
what are the real reasons ,apart from finacial, for not wanting GA at Dublin Airport
after all if where going to train commercial pilot's in this country then why not train them in a commercial enviroment?

CaptCream
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CaptCream » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:55 pm

maybe a relocation of the FTO's to Kilrush is whats needed!!

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Hey

no chance of moving to kilrush at all
i was talkin to the owner two weeks ago and
he's pretty determined to never have an FTO there.
its such a beautiful airfield, i sure as hell wouldn't let an
FTO come in and start recking the place,
Never see an FTO in EIKH and i'm with him 100% :D
Regards,
M747
:D

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:26 pm

Kilrush? Are they not also afflicted by noise sensitive types? I wouldn't have thought that an RTF/FTO would be the most useful addition for the long term survival of Kilrush?

Hi Pilot, no offence to either club but I've always liked the idea of smaller GA fields and it would just feel a little strange to operate out of a big commercial airport like Dublin. I guess I should wander out and take a visit; perhaps they have undiscovered attractions that I should experience first hand. Have to finish out the PPL first.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:33 pm

Hey :D ,
How do ya mean by the survival of Kilrush?
The place takes care of itself.
It has about 30 aircraft based there at 3K per year,
it has a maintenance facility too.
Ya could even fly in with your family for a picnic....
there's little fountains, and benches in the middle of a green down there..
I'd base my plane there if i had one,
Looking into whether or not i can afford on!!!
Might buy a plane like the G115 if possible and base it there
and get 2 or 3 people to buy shares in it
its such a perfect little airfield in my opinion.
Regards,
M747
:D

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:45 pm

I didn't mean to imply any iminent risk of Kilrush closing but at the same time, no 'field can presume its long term survival. I was suggesting though that an FTO based there might be risky to its survival.

Wouldn't be in a rush to buy a Grob myself - even though I'm training on it.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by OW wright » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:10 pm

michael747 wrote:..................................
It has about 30 aircraft based there at 3K per year,...................

3,000 euro per year per aircraft ?

wow !
Last edited by OW wright on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sticksforward
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sticksforward » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:10 pm

There is a movement restriction at Kilrush!! thats why you will never see a FTO/RTF based there.
A typical ploy by the same County Council that stopped the Airshow at Punchestown.
KILDARE CO CO = ANTI AVIATION :wink:

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:16 am

I often wondered why people never let waterford into their minds. OK, i know it's a 2hrs 30mins drive from Dublin but a few people do it. People come from Dublin, Cork, even Donegal to fly at Waterford. Maybe i'm just biased but it's a great training enviroment. The aeroclub have some of the most competative rates in the country. Everyone there is friendly. And there is no problem with getting into the club. Just pay ?175 each year and you're off. Simple as. No long holding tinmes waiting for scheduled arrivals/departures. Just giving my experiences of the place. Great training enviroment. Can't help but love the place.