From zero to pilot...

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

trotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

From zero to pilot...

Post by trotter » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:32 pm

Hi,

Im sorry if this has been asked before but Im wondering about the whole process of becomming a helicopter pilot.

I've never been at the controls of a helicopter before but I have an interest in aviation that has been growing recently.

Can anyone tell me the beginners guide including how much it would cost in total over a few years?

Thanks!

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:41 pm

Get yourself an intro lesson to start with. Make sure you actually like being up there in them...........

The overall cost ? Jeez, I wouldn't like to think.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:24 pm

A heli pilot!!!!

Talk about the expensive route!!!

It's ?93.8k in jerez for A's
F**k i dont wanna think bout the price of heli training.

Prices in eirecopter went up again!!! (unsuprisingly)
?460 an hour in a R22 lol lol pmsl....

Even DF couldn't afford that Dutch huh hahahahaha lol

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:53 pm

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ?! ?460 for an Egg whisk to use it for an hour. How can that be justified. Someone is surely taking the Michael.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:31 pm

8)Three years ago you could have scraped in for 16000e These days you can expect to lay out at least 25000.e in the r22 There are reams of hidden extras. You have to love it and not care about the filthy lucre 8)

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:33 pm

There is a chopper outfit on Dublin docks any idea who runs it :?: :?:

trotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by trotter » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:34 am

I had no idea that it would be so expensive.. madness.

Maybe I should think more into the fixed wing PPL.. It'd be more manageable.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:53 am

Trotter, if a helicopter has been your dream. Then go for it. It may be very expensive. But you'll be dead a long time...... Treat yourself, try out a trial flight. See if you like it. It may be the case that you might not like it, or ytou might fall totally in love with a fixed wing. If you want it, do it. There is no such word in my vocabulary as "can't"

MuddyRunaways
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MuddyRunaways » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:36 pm

Don't do a trial lesson, whatever you do.

I did one yesterday and the damn things are addictive.

Can anyone loan me a ski mask and a sawn-off shotgun?

allanon
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by allanon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:35 pm

i started my ppl training in June. Love it and hope to go commercial. Have 20hrs done so far, weather is a bit of a pain in the ass. As for costs, very very very high. 360 per hour and ur gonna need at least 65hrs for ur ppl plus books exams and medical and ground school.

Damian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Damian » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:00 pm

I went to Florida (HAI, First Class School) to do my PPL(H), I started of green with zero hrs in Feburary for 2 wks training and got 21 hrs in + I went solo after 11 hrs. I then returned in may for 10 days got another 24 hrs in did my solo cross country, but lost 2.5 days due to high winds hence I must go back to complete my training which consist of 5 hrs instrument, 1.5 hrs solo and then my skill test, to date I have spent around ?15,000 which includes flights and lodgings. I did all my exams in Newtownards over a period of 2 months before I went which left me free to concentrate on just my flying. If I were you go the USA way, cheaper and guaranted the good weather + its full of Irish. The owner of the school Patrick Corr, an Irish man in the states from he was 12 told me "everyone gets first class treatment but the Irish get that little bit more".
Happy Flying

Helicopter Pilots like to keep it up all night.
Damian Murray

allanon
Unverified User
Unverified User

training

Post by allanon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Hi Damien, unfortunately I cannot do my PPL away but I am definitely thinking of doing my commercial outside ireland. Would you recommend me do it in HAI ? How long does it take ?

Damian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Damian » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:04 pm

Well Allanon, I would strongly think of doing your CPL in HAI mainly for 2 of the reasons I give in my last post (1) the cost (almost a third of what it would cost you at home) and (2) you are guarenteed the good weather. Time? you could be looking at anything from 6 to 12 months depending on how much flying and study you are prepared to do. Check out their web site www.heli.com or send Sam an email at info@heli.com and tell Sam I put you in touch.
Damian Murray

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:07 pm

MuddyRunaways wrote:Don't do a trial lesson, whatever you do.

I did one yesterday and the damn things are addictive.

Can anyone loan me a ski mask and a sawn-off shotgun?
I would but the police are still checking the DNA on mine.

highonsnow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by highonsnow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi guys, just after joining the forum, never realised it existed until I came across a link posted in pprune, how're things?

I'm going to Bristow Academy 10th Jan '08 for my JAA PPL(H), taking a dangerous route of self study and doing practical and exams over there, nothing like jumping into the deep end and scampering out the shallow end.. with rotors over my head I hope!!

My Da knows Patrick Corr well, they go back a good few years, he went over to visit him there a year or two back and now I'm set to start training soon.. never thought the day would come.

It's going to be expensive, I've tried getting to terms with it and I think that the only way to justify such expenses is that you could be in University.. getting a Masters at probably ?50 short of the cost of the whole CPL lol!! I don't want a piece of paper saying I'm a "master", I want to fly, I've always wanted to fly and I'm finally going to live my dream.

Lets just hope spring break falls early this year, due to a feared terrorist attack in Miami or something.. wouldn't mind taking an 'aul trip down to see what all the fuss is about ;) I hear marriages are cheap in Florida too haha