White Background/Black Text

We would like to hear what you think about the magazine and website

Moderator: mark

JTeahan
Unverified User
Unverified User

White Background/Black Text

Post by JTeahan »

Great forum and great website, just one suggestion. Anyone else find the the black background and white text slightly straining on the eyes?

Jeremiah

Mark Lee
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mark Lee »

I find it hard on the eyes too. But, it's worth it. Great site!

Post by Guest »

Have to agree with you on that, Great site all the same, just black on white is not so easy on the old eyes!! :wink:

I posted one minute after that other guy, Same thought at same time, impressive or what!!

XPIH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by XPIH »

Hi,
Bravo on taking on the task of providing this service. I hope you have a good solicitor :wink: .

I would echo the sentiments above regarding the colour scheme. While some may consider it to have a certain 'cool' factor, it is horrendously taxing on the eyes when reading text for any length of time. You might get away with it on a different type of site but a forum site requires a reading-friendly scheme. Most boards use dark text on bright backgrounds with various shades of a single colour or of complimentary colours used for the various elements.

Regarding content, I would say that, yes, things are a little over compartmentalised. Even when appealing to both aviators and enthusiasts (as I take it to be your intention), no Irish aviation site is going to get floods of visitors so its best to get as many people as possible in the same room, as it were. I would suggest that the "Commercial Aviation" and "Irish Air Corps" forums be moved up to the 'Flying in Ireland' section. If you add a "Helicopters" forum there too then I think you have all the 'flying' bases covered and you can do without a "General Discussion" forum. Heli pilots seemed to be more talkative (gossip-prone?) than other sectors, judging by previous sites. "Students" forum maybe mergable with "GA", see how the traffic and number of topics go.

Just my initial thoughts.
Cormac

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your opinions.

I have no problem with changing the colour scheme. So what would people like? It sounds like the best option is a light background with dark text?

There is a site where you can download basic styles for this type of forum so if anyone would like to have a look there and suggest a style that would be great. When we have deceided i will download it and customize it. The address of that page is http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php . There's a drop down menu at the top to choose styles from.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

XPIH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by XPIH »

Hi Mark,
Lots of good schemes on that page (and a few awful ones). You'll notice that pale blues and greys are quite common for backgrounds for the good reason that they're easy to read. Of course, your site will look like alot of others if you go with that. The "Iris" scheme is a bit more distinctive but still practical.
Also have a look at the "Cobalt 2.0" one. While its colours are again a bit hard to read (the white text tends to merge), the font style of the thread headings are not unlike taxiway sign schemes - might be an idea for a aviation flavour for your site's scheme.
Cormac

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Anyone else like this design http://www.phpbb.com/styles/forum/index.php?style=122

Good idea about the taxiway signs, should be able to modify it.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

JTeahan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JTeahan »

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't like the blue anymore than the black.

Jeremiah

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

I have to say I really like the current colour scheme. I think it looks good and I don't find it hard to read or otherwise difficult on the eyes at all (and I use a PC full-time in my job).

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

I think the style with the white and silver backround [http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php] is the best, but I really don't mind the present colours.
Regards,
Aidan

Cban

Post by Cban »

Agree that the white on black is a strain on the eyes...

Alexis or Aeolus gets my vote...and the ol green thrown in for free with Alexis... 8)

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

I'd add a vote for a change in colour. Black background with white text is too hard too read.

Black text on white background is by far easier to read.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT »

Brilliant 100% couldnt be better but how come you cant view the pic of the L-29 reg ES-YLK on the Foreign Aircraft Register? Theres a red X at the top left hand corner of the screen and when you right click it and go to view pic it wont let you?

Airhead
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Airhead »

I like the scheme except when you have to read a bunch of text.

I have seen black backrounds with white text work very well and i think this is due to the size of the text and font. Its either my computer or the forum that is using too small of a font...

Hope that helps
Student Flyer

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

Sorry,
I'm 100% pro the current colour scheme.