Abbeyshrule Air Show

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Abbeyshrule Air Show

Post by willo »

As may of you are aware, the Abbeyshrule Airshow is on May 22nd.

Confirmed acts are:

Red Arrows
Irish Air Corps 3 PC-9
Aer Lingus DH 84 Dragon EI-ABI
Irish Parachute Club 10 person drop
Yak-11 Display
Bucker Jungman Display
Vintage Flypast including Tiger Moths, Cub etc
Extra 200 Display

Flyin on the Saturday, lot of crack that day also

Willo

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Full details for the show at

www.abbeyshruleairshow.com

Willo

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi guys,

Great Airshow at EIAB today, hats off to everyone involved. Was really great to meet so many people down there, espcially members of this forum. It always good to put a face to the name.....

Got a load of photos and video clips. Was a very long day so i'll post the videos tonight and the photos tomorrow....Click the links to watch the video

http://flyinginireland.com/upload_files/HPIM7079.MPG

http://flyinginireland.com/upload_files/HPIM7103.MPG
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Michael Gilligan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Michael Gilligan »

Sorry Mark but I have to disagree with you about Abbeyshrule, as Air Shows go it was probaly the worst that I have seen, were it not for the Red Arrows, the PC9s from the Air Corps, Sammy Bruton and the Parachute displays it was really a bad day out with very little to see for the high entry fee.
The first two displays went on with no commentry as there was no one in the Tower other than the controller. he finally turned up as the S61 was finishing its display
Where was the Aer Lingus Iolar it was in the programme, the time has come when people who are asked to dig deep into their pockets should at least get what we are paying for. I know I said in earlier posts that I would not go because of the prices, but Air Shows need support we have so little in Ireland.

Just look at the display programme below for Margate in the UK in June for 10 pound sterling entry fee and you will see what I mean.

Red Arrows
BBMF L, S, H
Hawk 208
Harrier GR7A
Tornado F3
Jaguar GR3A
Utterly Butterly Wingwalkers
RAF Falcons
Matadors Aerobatic Display
Lynx Solo
SAR (Search & Rescue)
Boeing Stearman
Sukhoi SU26
Aerostars
Sea Vixen
Gnat
Chinook

by the way Mark I got the programme but I did not see your stand where were you positioned?

:cry:
Sorry Abbeyshrule but your prices were to high for what little we got.

Michael
Michael Gilligan

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

Mark's stand was on the road into the field about 10 yards short of the food area. It should have been the first thing you saw as you went in - green marquee on the left hand side with copies of the magazine on a cord across the front. Graypencils.com were beside him.

I agree that the show content was limited. If you strip away the military, the rest were essentially amateur peformers - and I certainly don't mean unprofessional. As a Cessna pilot I was fascinated by the Turbine 210 display. As a mediocre pilot I was fascinated by the precise formation take-off by the hugely dissimilar Skybolt and Bulldog. The ten year old local boy standing beside me in his wellies was not so impressed. He came for the noise and the spectacle.

While it was great to see such a large turnout arrive by air (I haven't seen EI-AUM around for years and where did that Whirlwind come from?), the general public weren't as much in evidence and let's face it they're the ones that pay the bills. Even the stall traders were down in numbers. To make it a financial success in future years, I would imagine the 'spectacle' would have to be improved - and Abbeyshrule has a fine track record in that regard.

However, let's walk before we can run. The airshow has just been revived after a number of years lapsed. It was a bigger event than I could have put together, so I won't criticise harshly. It could have been better but at least it was there and let's face it - a day standing in a muddy field in Longford being rained on would make us all grumpy no matter who showed up. May want to reconsider the date going forward...

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

As promised....

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.flyinginireland.com\/upload_files/6.jpg[/img]

I should have more in the next few days. I'm away until Friday so it will probably be next weekend. Check out next months Issue of the magazine for a full report
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Heliops
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Heliops »

I should have more in the next few days. I'm away until Friday so it will probably be next weekend. Check out next months Issue of the magazine for a full report[/quote]

will you be giving the good and the bad such as the no commentary?

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

I couldn't make it- still would've liked to have seen it though, even if it wasn't great!

Anybody know if they're are any stands for The Bray Airshow, who you should contact, or on average, how much does it cost to set up a stand at an airshow (site rental only!)- The website is starting to kick off, and it's time for some HASOI promotion!

Thanks In Advance... :lol:

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

I was considering going but decided not to.

Lads, its Ireland remember. Salthill is OK but its free, you have to queue for an hour for a burger,and three hours of traffic to get out of Salthill itself!

Well thats bad form really, how much did they Charge? There should be a national aviation show, like the Fly! at Earls court, it is about time. Aviation is growing rapidly here and it needs more publicity.

Heliops
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Heliops »

OK? OK ? are you OK? Salthill is the Best Airshow going and its FREE. are you mad in the head man they put on the Best Airshow in the Country for you and thousands of people to sit down relax and watch and all you can say for them is that you have to Queue a few hours for a burger? (bring some sandwiches at least kid!) Are you so ignorant? They put on this massive show for FREE for you and everybody else and all you can do is moan about a burger and the traffic?

Sorry son but you have issues. If you even bothered to look around after the show you would notice that the traffic disperses very quickly around Salthill im not saying it disperses at mach 2 but it goes quick. OK? !

The things people say....Burgers hah! :evil:

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

The airside is good,

The rest is a small bit disorganised though. :evil: :P

Heliops
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Heliops »

what is disorganised? tell me what is disorganised is it the fact u cant get a burger cuz of the huge crowds Salthill draws to it? :D

Really is that all thats on your mind that u have to moan about waiting in a queue for a burger? In all fairness they Organise a brilliant Airshow, the hugest and most impressive in the entire country without any money they dont even charge you 1cent and yet you moan about a queue for a burger? come on man dont be so silly your getting a great day out for FREE man FREE! dont be so silly.. They cant control crowd movement and if you look at the airshow web site you will see there is plenty of space to park and exit the Show as soon as it is over all you got to do is get to your car or whatever whenever you can.

The cheek of some people is beyond me. My god all this

2005 Flying Display
Royal Air Force Aerobatic Display Team - The Red Arrows
RAF Sepecat Jaguar GR.3
RAF Panavia Tornado F.3
RAF BAe Hawk T.1
RAF Shorts Tucano T.1
RAF Grob Tutor T.1
St. Ivel Utterly Butterly Wing Walkers
Royal Netherlands Air Force Solo Display PC-7
Royal Netherlands Air Force AB412
Irish Air Corps Pilatus PC-9M
Irish Air Corps CASA CN235-100MP Persuader
Garda Air Support Unit Eurocopter EC135
Irish Army Parachute Team, The Black Knights
Coast Guard Sikorsky S-61N
Aer Arann ATR-72
EuroManx Avro RJ70
British Airways Saab 340

For FREE yet it's disorganised?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

Which proves my point that there will always be a hardcore of people who will whinge no matter what you do for them. Some people seem to be a fountain of negativity. If the world was run by them we would still be living in caves.

Heliops
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Heliops »

Thank you Cosmic its nice to see some people appreciate the effort others put in for abosultely nothing to give you a great day out. Cheers mate i think we should give all the support we have for the Organisers @ Salthill and turn up and bring lots of people to say thanks for giving us the biggest and best Airshow in the entire Country for FREE, hell even the bloody designated Car Parking areas are FREE what more do you want? Again Cosmic thansk mate it means alot when somebody appreciates what others do for nothing.

ronnie3585
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ronnie3585 »

Have to agree with heliops on this one. I know some of the organisers of Salthill and they spend a lot of personal time and expense organising the show. I think its brilliant that we get such a high quality airshow for absolutely nothing.
Ow! My boating arm...