ILAS Fly-In
  • Timeflow
    Verified User
    Verified User

ILAS Fly-In

by Timeflow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:54 am

Due to likely crosswinds at ILAS Field and poor weather in the rest of the country ILAS committee have decided not to hold our Fly-In this weekend.
  • Rudy
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: ILAS Fly-In

by Rudy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 pm

So just to get this straight the reason ILAS has decided not to hijack Ardfert's weekend is "likely crosswinds"

Hmmm!
    Rudy
  • stovepipe
    Verified User
    Verified User

by stovepipe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:14 am

Hi all,
    Rudy, feel free to take off your tinfoil hat.No conspiracy involved.Given the forecast of showers and crosswinds that would exceed the crosswind limits of some of our aircraft and the likely state of the runway (which takes a long time to dry out to a safe and suitable standard), we decided to postpone.I will remind you that we, in the homebuilding and Classics community, have been holding fly-ins, either as SAAC or ILAS, since our formation in 1978, so we have quite a bit of experience built up.We never deliberately set out to "hijack" anybody's fly-in weekend and please don't forget that other groups have moved their Fly-Ins and clashed with ours in past years. Pilots, being adults, are free to attend or not attend our event as they please. Usually, if events clash, a lot of pilots will try to attend both. We typically get an attendance of greater than sixty aircraft and a few hundred people over both days.

regards
    Stovepipe
  • Timeflow
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Timeflow » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:24 pm

ILAS Committee decision not to hold their fly-in last weekend was based on the weather forecast of strong westerly winds of 10kts gusting 18. In practice winds were much stronger - I know, I went flying!

ILAS field orientation is 18/36. If Rudy needs any further explanation feel free to ask!