Abbeyshrule Airshow & Fly-in

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Abbeyshrule Airshow & Fly-in

Post by willo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21 pm

The Abbeyshrule Airshow & fly-in is happening this weekend.

Saturday - Fly-in
The airfield is open all day, give a call on 122.6 about 10 miles out.

Saturday Night
Buffet & drinks in the Rustic Inn, with lots of chat

Sunday - Airshow
Displaying:
Air Corps Casa 235
Garda EC-135
Coastguard S-61
Aer Lingus - DH.84 Iolar
Eddie Goggins - Extra 300
Dave Bruton
Hum - RV-7
Irish Parachute Club
Athlone Model Flying

The field will be closed to aerial visitors between 14:00 & 16:30 on Sunday, but visitors more than welcome beforehand.

Hope to see you all there

Willo

PS - Make sure the paperwork is up to date, in case powers that be knocking about!!!

camshaft40
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Abbeyshrule Airshow & Fly-in

Post by camshaft40 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:08 pm

I've seen a poster for this earlier this week, 5euro for anyone visiting saturday and 10euro on sunday with kids and old OAP's free,a wee bit of joke seeing that a few weeks ago you could see the same acts and a few more from the UK for free in Bray.Why did they not just leave it 5euro on the sunday and leave it at that.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Just to echo the sentiments of camshaft40 I was looking in the FII Archives for a lively debate held here a few years back about "politics" and "etc" that was going on between visitors and management there. It appears it's been deleted..... Anyhoo from what I recall the general view was that people should stay away because of the aggressive collection of landing fees. It was second in GA hatred only to Galway.

Back on topic, I always enjoyed the EIAB fly-in and airshow. Hope it goes well this year.

Demonduck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Demonduck » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:08 am

There is a lot of organising and special insurance cover required for this event.
Acrobatic pilots also require a fee for their display routine on the day.(approx 1200 plus vat for 1 particular display pilot)
its about 3 grand for fire services on the day.
I heard through the grapevine that it cost about 15 grand for the day outlay before any money is handed over so 5/10 euro is a small fee.

Everyone sees what comes into the till but not what goes out.

I am not directly involved with the events or Abbeyshrule.

I hope the guys get the weather on the day and that the event goes well for them.

Its always a pleasure to fly into EIAB and I hope many in the GA community will support the day.

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 am

€15 grand for the day.........where did ya get that. most of the flying 'acts' are free including the Garda, CASA, Rescue Heli and the Iolar ....the old insurance scare is being used again. All of the aircraft have their own insurance. if one display asks for €1,200 plus VAT i would suggest that you dont buy it...simple really.
will there be a fee for visiting aircraft?
most of the fly ins are free ............most do not have displays. maybe follow their lead forget the displays and save yourself some money.
on another note the powers that be have turned up to all of the other fly ins so be warned........they need the mileage times are hard in IAA land.

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 am

Re Insurance: If you're organising an event that is going to be open to the public and could attract large crowds, then it would only be sensible to have Public Liability Insurance in place. Whatever insurance the aircraft operators have, won't cover the event organisers for trips and falls or getting trapped inside a Portaloo that gets blown over in a high wind (imagine the trauma of that! :) ).

Re "the powers that be" attending Fly-Ins, doing ramp inspections etc. We should be grateful that they are doing so. They are carrying out an important function and protecting the consumer/the public from such hazards as individuals operating aircraft without a current/valid C of A, not adhering to maintenance schedules etc, etc. The GA community mightn't like it and may resent it but the general public often interact with GA operators and they have no idea of the risks they are taking or are being exposed to, so IAA etc are protecting them.

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:18 pm

€3000 for fire cover ????
any civil defence unit from surrounding countys would supply 1 or 2 fire appliances and trained crew along with medics/emergency first responders/first aid crew, all for free, they might take a donation if ya push it on them.
think outside of the box when organising these events lads .

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Hope to make it over on Sunday. Any possibility of being let airside to take some photos? :)

camshaft40
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by camshaft40 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 am

Guys havin been there,got the proverbial jacket and all the rest, i'm goin to be straight to the point on this.
I was unfortunate enough to be roped in to the organising of one of the so called 'airshow- fly ins' in EIAB. Along with a few other well respected guys,we set about getting sponsorship,acts and the other people on hand to get the show on the road,suffice to say all our hard work and effort went really well until the the day after the show, when the weather and a small crowd put a fairly dim ending to the hole affair.we had,more crap thrown at us about the why's,where's and what's by the so called Display Director it went beyond belief.

For any flying fraternity to charge 5euro on a saturday in to a fly in on a saturday and then double that on a sunday for something that anyone can see on any given sunday or saturday is an absolute disgrace.

As for 3000euro for fire cover for the day, a load of BS, as mentioned the local council and the Knights of Malta will provide all these facilities for a fraction of that.

As for the pilots taking part fuel is usually all they charge for, the Air Corp and S&R are FREE.

Maybe someday EIAB will get their act together and start making up for all their bad publicity they have been getting, Lose the bad attitude to the rest of the flyers in the country guys and remember its a very small minority.

RYR144
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by RYR144 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:48 am

€3000 for fire cover ????
any civil defence unit from surrounding countys would supply 1 or 2 fire appliances and trained crew along with medics/emergency first responders/first aid crew, all for free, they might take a donation if ya push it on them.
think outside of the box when organising these events lads .
True, that's mad if that's the figure - it costs less than €1,000 for the fire service in Tralee - 2 jeeps, an appliance and 2 rescue boats - from the county fire service as Civil Defence can't carry foam.

The whole airshow (including insurance) costs less than €8,000 in Tralee also so no chance of €15,000 in EIAB.

fugly
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fugly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:49 pm

This really needs to go the Consumer thread :P Mabey Eddie Hobbs can advise which airshow to attend in the future hehe

Good job, a tenner is grand. Often spent more going into a night club and the birds in there where not even close to the birds abbeyshrule has lined up!! No point speculating on the running costs of the show. We cant view the accounts.

Hopefully the WX will hold up for the weekend 8)

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Let me clarify some things here:

The charges apply to motor vehicles/pedestrians.

There are no landing fees for visiting aircraft, and there never had planned to be.

There was definitely an issue pre-2009 with colleciton of fees. This was brought to attention and a system of self-declarationwas introduced. This method, I note on this forum, has been suggested for other fields,
particularly in the Aran Islands, so you could say we were innovative!!

A successful Fly-in Sept 2009 drew a line under this.

The alleged budgeted costs on this thread are purely speculative. The treatment of them as fact is questionable.

Kilo Delta - will get you airside, no prob! Pack the hi-viz!!!

Fugly - hoping for the weather also, forecast keeps changing.

& my biggest concern, where will I get to watch Ireland v France!

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm

willo wrote: Kilo Delta - will get you airside, no prob! Pack the hi-viz!!!
You're a gentleman,Willo! Hi-Viz will be packed...heck,I'll even wear some neon orange speedos!!! :mrgreen:

Now...picked up a new car today and it won't be taxed till next week,don't suppose you can sort that for me too?!!!! :lol: :P

camshaft40
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by camshaft40 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:23 am

Willo
Having read your last post makes the whole thing all the more laughable,waiving landing fees is the norm when a weekend of an airshow or a fly-in takes place.
To say that charges only apply to pedestrians and car owners goes to show the moronic ways of all involved.
Pedestrians and car owners will out number planes flying in on the day,you make it sound like they don't make any difference,so it seems like revenue is not main deal here, in my book your not really a great PR man!!!
As for your slant on airshow costs been speculative and questionable,i don't think you've been around long enough to know what the costs are and undoubtly will ever know, there seems to be a trend in so much as alot of the guys in EI-AB seem to think the know more than 2men when in fact they don't know enough for one.
I hope the weather holds out on sunday and the crowds turn out,but i still have to say charging in to a fly-in on a saturday is the worst case of low.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:32 pm

On a positive note I'd like to say thank you to all the ground crew, organisers and display pilots who put on a great day at EIAB. You even managed the weather.

My favorite display was the formation routine with HUM and Eddie G. I had not seen it before - well done guys.

Sadly there was a disappointing level of support from visiting pilots - which is unfortunate. I'd hate to think previous comments about EIAB and charging fees put people off. For one of the rare occasions this summer the weather was not a valid excuse.

Well done all. I enjoyed as did my fellow aviators from Coonagh.
Shrtfld