Teddyfield

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Teddyfield

Post by Raven 912 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 am

Teddyfield
Preparations are now under way for Teddyfield 2009. Some of you will remember the last time it was held and some won’t. For those who remember 2002 and 2003 it’s back and for those who don’t, well it has been away for six years, here’s what it’s all about.
Teddyfield was born from an idea following a weekend in England flying with John Moore of Spamfield fame. Talking to John and, having seen the 2002 Spamfield for myself, I thought that there was an opportunity for a big social event in Ireland combining flying, parties and raising money for a worthwhile cause all under one roof. This cause was to be Temple Street Children’s Hospital. The idea was for all visiting aircraft to carry a teddy bear to be raffled at the event with the proceeds to go to the hospital. Hence the name Teddyfield.
Being a current skydiver and parachute instructor in Clonbullogue, one of the few venues large enough to host the event, I was in a position to approach the Board of the IPC who were more than happy to accommodate such large numbers of aircraft and people. Another friend, Sacha Van Straten, from London got involved to coordinate things from the UK. The result was an attendance of 79 aircraft on Saturday. A press release was drawn up and TV and radio attended on the Saturday with Teddyfield appearing on the TV 3 news on Saturday evening. This led to 1500 plus visitors by road on Sunday and the whole event snowballed.
Teddyfield 2009 will take place on the 5th 6th and 7th of June in Clonbulloge Co Offaly. Work is just starting on our new tarmac runway and should be completed in plenty of time so you should have no problem landing on 850 mtrs of freshly laid road.
Here’s how it works
No landing or camping fees although a donation to the charity would be much appreciated.
Bar on site after all flying has ceased. ( IPC policy is no alchohol allowed on site till all jumping is finished ) There is however a bar in the local village.
Toilet, shower and full restaurant facilities on site
Live band or Kareoke in the hangar on Saturday night
Avgas available on site but fuel runs for mogas will be organised
BBQ Saturday night
Camping facilities on site
There is only one rule. Aircraft MUST bring a teddy bear to be donated for the raffle.
All aircraft must be on radio and call 128.55 at least 6 miles out due to the intensive parachuting operations.
So why, if this event is so good, has it had a 6 year absence? Because the majority of aircraft in 2003 attended from the UK and AIC 11/04 created too much difficulty for these pilots to attend. The sport of microlight flying in Ireland is much more healthy now than it was then and I believe that Teddyfield could sustain itself with resident aircraft if need be and UK aircraft would be a very welcome bonus.
This event is fully supported by the NMAI and I hope it will be supported by you, the NMAI members. Although ultimately a microlight event, If it flies, it’s welcome.
See you there
All the best
Paul

Kevlar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Kevlar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Sounds Great Paul, and all for a good cause, fair play to you!!!
Regards, Kevlar

seamus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by seamus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm

TV 3 were there and they showed me landing on the 9 o'clock news.
I actually found photo's last week of it.

If someone could tell me how to attach the pictures I'll put them on.

Shey.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:22 pm

Shey, this is the host I use. http://photobucket.com/
Believe it or not the instructions are reasonably straight forward. Even so it took me several attempts to get it right. If you manage to post a photo
to any forum, you must leave it on "photobucket" or it will be deleted from
your destination post.

Hugo.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:48 am

Looking forward to this one.