Clifden Airshow

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Clifden Airshow

Post by DonalMW » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi guys, I couldn't attend, anyone here at it?? Any review??

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Clifden Airshow

Post by Warthog » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:08 pm

DonalMW wrote:Hi guys, I couldn't attend, anyone here at it?? Any review??

I wasnt there but i heard by all acounts it was not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, PC9M's did 1 4 ship fly by and the AW139 cancelled so an EC135 took the slot, poor turn out too and can ya blame them, there was a charge of €20 per car to include parking & Souvenir Brochure.

I spent my money on a trip to the Cinema.

Harrier
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Harrier » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi All

New to this board so my first post

I had the misfortune to go to Clifden last Sunday from the North West, it was a disgrace to charge 20 Euro per car to get in to see what could not be classed as an Air Show. If you saw one plane every half hour you would be lucky.

All they had was the Air Corps Helicopter,Casa, PC9s, private aircraft and the Coastguard Heli.

I left early as I could not take anymore the kids were bored stiff. Never again.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Lucky escape for me so......

Apparently visiting (Microlights and Helis) were permitted to land on the local golf course?? Was this just a rumour ??

I fancied going to that airshow to see David Brutons new Sukhoi....... I see no mention of it in the posts above......

Glenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Glenn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:49 pm

There was a yak 52 which ended up doing 2 displays and dave bruton was there in the sukhoi26 which was a very good aerobatic display. The pc9's left as quick as they arrived, only doing a fly past in and out.

All in all though i felt it was in too remote of an area for it to really pull in the crowds. I can see how anyone who wasnt heavily interested in airshows or aviation would have quickly lost interest. A small sample for enthusiasts really.

Apparently its a warm up for next year which sees alcock and browns 90th anniversary of the first ever trans-atlantic flight.

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Glenn wrote:
Apparently its a warm up for next year which sees alcock and browns 90th anniversary of the first ever trans-atlantic flight.

Not much of a "Warm up" was it? Nothing on this Island will take Salthill's Crown, lets hope it comes back!!

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:28 am

I decided to give it a miss and go to Oshkosh instead..... :lol:

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:20 am

I think you made a good decision RV !

Geminidawn
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Geminidawn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:14 pm

In all honesty you have to give these guys a chance and accept it as a "good effort" for a first attempt.
The Airshow was a end to a weekend celebration commemorating the first trans- Atlantic flight by John Alcock & Arthur Whitten-Brown.
I was glad to see someone put in the effort for since we had this piece of aviation history on our back door, no one had done sod all about it in the past 89 years.
Now that someone has, they get shot down in flames?.... Not the pioneering spirit that got us up there in the first place!
With the air strip being developed in Cleggan, another in Inish Boffin, terrific mountainous landscape, rugged coast and unspoilt skies not to mention its history, Connemara will become a hot spot for small aircraft in the years to come.
Yes €20 was steep but you have to appreciate the bill they recieved to get the aircraft there, a rumor at about €2,000 an aircraft the €20 is not going to go far.
Secondly, true it is remote and the smaller aircraft did not have the fuel capacity to hang around long having to land and re-fuel in Galway but as Cleggan developes that may change.
I'd say the way forward is not to try a big expensive spectacular and steal Salthill's Crown but to concentrate on the Pioneering aspect of it.
Commemorate Alcock & Brown and Irish Aviation History, get the SAAC involved, maybe a bit of a "Flyin", make a weekend of it, so aircraft enthusiasts and modren day pioneers can meet and celebrate the evergrowing popularity of aviation.

Warthog
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Post by Warthog » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Geminidawn wrote: no one had done sod all about it in the past 89 years.

I remember the Air Corps doing stuff about it like flyby's/shows at the Alcock and Brown Memorial in the Fouga's.

Geminidawn
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Post by Geminidawn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Well I think what Clifden is trying to do is turn it into an annual "Festival of Flight" rather than an "Airshow" or a once off display and I say kudos to them.
    The Wright Brothers did not get it 100% first time either and where would they or aviation be today without some support.
    I'm only sorry I didn't get enough time off work to listen to some of the talks, watch footage go on the historic trails and other related events they had going.
    But I will make a point of it next year!

ClifdenChamber
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Post by ClifdenChamber » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Last January, a group of 7 volunteers from Clifden Chamber of Commerce sat down to discuss how to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Alcock & Brown's 1st transatlantic flight. We decided we would "warm up" this year with a celebratory weekend, which would include a free series of lectures and in the discussions, the idea came up of an Air Show.None of the committee had Air Show Organisation experience but we all wanted to commemorate such an important historical event.

Over the next few months, we met weekly & tried without success to find a sponsor. At a certain point, we knew we could not afford the Air Show without a charge. With costs of insurance, aircraft, fuel, brochures, tickets, etc, we felt a charge of €20 per car, which would include the €5 brochure & parking for the day, was not an exorbitant amount as we visualised most people would make it a family day and fill the car.

Of the amount collected on the day, which did not cover our costs, a substantial amount was donated to 3 local schools in the area as a gesture of goodwill to the locals.

We felt we made the day as family friendly as possible with bouncy castles, catering facilities on site, helicopter rides and the natural beauty of the area. We feel very proud to have brought an Air Show to Clifden, the first we hope of many. At no time were we attempting to rival Salthill's Air Show, we were simply honouring a pioneering event in aviation history and bringing our heritage to a new generation.

We would like to thank the Department of Defence, the Air Corps, Galway Airport,Tony Gibson and all those who attended and recognised the significance of the event.

We would also like to thank the legion of volunteers who gave their time on the day.

If anyone reading this would like to get involved in next year's 90th anniversary celebration of Alcock & Brown's historic flight, please contact michele@clifdenchamber.ie