Airshows & Air Corps

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

flyingsky
Unverified User
Unverified User

Airshows & Air Corps

Post by flyingsky »

Hey anybody else think we should see more of the Air Corp doing airshows, it would be great if they had a display team that did displays once a month or so around Ireland.

Elvis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Elvis »

Id be with you on that bro..

Or why not just bring back the air spectacular to Baldonnal.

why isnt that on anymore ? come on lads get the finger out !! :D
Elvis A.P.

Mil Mad
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mil Mad »

from what i was told the reason that there hasn't been anymore air spectaculars in Baldonnell is that the people who organised the last one in 2000 didn't do a very good job in cleaning up the mess that is always left after a crowd of over 100.000 people have been there,,so the guys in the air corps have been against letting anyone else try to hold a airshow there... so if u want someone to blame for the lack of a decent airshow near Dublin find the organisers of the last one. :roll: ... i know Bray is doing its best but i do miss the good old days when u could see F-16s..F-15s...F-18s...and so much more in the skies of Dublin..... :twisted: rant over....

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
there were several issues as to why the Air Spectaculars were cancelled; the person who had the rights to the grass-cutting in Baldonnel wanted a shed load more money after having scooped up a great deal of litter with his machines, thereby damaging his machines.The litter disposal during the show left a lot to be desired and the great Irish public often dropped it where they stood.This is not confined to airshows.There was a FOD walk after the show but this was a farce as many people decided to avail of the chance to drink free stuff and avoid further duty.Also, public access to aircraft was not well policed,leading to several instances where aircraft were damaged or otherwise interefered with.Also, many Air Corps personnel decided that they were on holidays and not duty and decided to slope off, leading to a great deal of unit friction when people who were supposed to be doing x were not where they were supposed to be.There were also "liaison" issues with some of the foreign teams, one of which was the lack of suitable liquid oxygen facilities( for fighters) and also the housing of some NCO ranks from visiting foreign air forces.Some civilian bodies also complained about the exact division of labour and responsibility and in the end, the best conclusion was to cease airshows to a mass audience...
regards
Stovepipe

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

This is terrible!

With the Galway airshow gone and also this, what on earth are we going to do with our Air Corps to justify their budget?

I mean, they train pilots up to display standard, and then they don't do any displays. If only there was something other then air shows and field days we could get the Air Corps to do...
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Well, if we vote yes in the Lisbon treaty, they'll have plenty to do :D
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Elvis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Elvis »

oohh,

I didnt know all this. So its just down the organizers doing a half asre job of it as usual , it must be the same people who are trying to make cars move on the M50 and who organized the Barbra Streisand concert :lol:

I have to say when u are at an airshow and you see a bag or empty pack floating towards the display line ur heart does kinda start racing...

Surly we can organise 300 bins, and place them around Baldonnell no ?? there must be someone out there with the passion (like the organizers of the Salthill airshow) they seem to be on the ball, in cooperation with Shannon for their shows. If they organize all the planes, fuel, liquid oxygen facilities( for fighters), the housing for the pilots attending and all the other things like parking and stuff i cant think of....

Il cut the grass for FREE !!! the whole airfield Id have it like Croke parks pitch :lol:

what do yous say ?? deal
Elvis A.P.

flyingsky
Unverified User
Unverified User

air corp airshows

Post by flyingsky »

Maybe if people start making noise to their local politicians etc, we could get something going, maybe get Matt Cooper or Jerry Ryan or someone to try get a bit of noise made? Every other country has a display team and we should be the same instead of moaning about what the Air Corp don't do. The PC-9's are great I'd love to see more of them.