Airshows in the UK 2008

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

CML
Unverified User
Unverified User

Airshows in the UK 2008

Post by CML »

Can anybody recommend what is the best Airshow to visit in the UK

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

I've heard the Royal Internaltional Air Tatoo is the business altogether. Never been though.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

I'm going to the RIAT July this year. A friend was there before and said it's still the best airshow he's been to. BA used to fly to the show from Heathrow in a B744. The plane used to only have about 100 pax onboard and perform a full thrust T/O at the airshow..... It's not available this year though, Nor for the last 3 years either...

Really looking forward to it, The line-up looks promising :D
Last edited by michael747 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
M747
:D

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Warthog »

RIAT the biggest and best. Il be there!

CML
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CML »

Just had a look at RIAT web site looks like the one to visit. Thanks guys

vulcan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by vulcan »

There is no doubt that it is RIAT. The largest military air show in the world.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

Farnborough is on as well this year,thats definitely worth considering,myself and michael747 went there 2 years ago.
115 VAC @400Hz

Elvis
Unverified User
Unverified User

RIAT IS TOPS

Post by Elvis »

:D Hello there,

Just 2 let u know Iv been to Riat the last 3 years in a row it is an amazing weekend for anybody who likes anything that can fly, everything is there old to modern. it would take you a full day maybe more 2 get 2 see everything at it cause there is just so much. I always miss loads of the static aircraft cause the flying displays are so good.

I have footage of an F-16 from the Thunderbirds directly over my head @100ft on his side @ about 500mph(it scared the life out of me) its only 3-4 seconds long, I will post it when my laptop stops being sh*t.

AMAZING show :!: :!: if u havent been GO :!: We will be there again this year to see the F-22 Raptors rolling out.

Oh and the RAF's new demo display is brilliant :!: with 4 tornados on CAP and the AWAC hight up in the sky oh you have to see it, simulated weapons fire and all :!: :!:
Elvis A.P.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Re: RIAT IS TOPS

Post by RV BLUE »

AMAZING show :!: :!: if u havent been GO :!: We will be there again this year to see the F-22 Raptors rolling out.[/i]

Well it should look like this...... :D

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=b512534b

Elvis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Killer Footage

Post by Elvis »

RV BLUE

Thanks for the clip :!:

Roll on Fairford :D
Elvis A.P.

CML
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CML »

Hi Elvis 8) Any recommendations on places to stay travel plans etc. I was thinking of flying Ryanair to Bristol or Aer Lingus to Birmingham Int catch a train to Fairford Try and get accommodation B&B Hotel something not to far.

Elvis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Elvis »

Hello CML,

I had this typed out, went to preview it and it logged me out :!: hate that.

Anyway, ryanair where fare do expensive, it is best to fly into Bristol but this year im going Aerlingus into Birmingham.. it should only take an extra hour id say drive..

The nearist train station (to Fairford) is Swindon, but i think the train from Birmingham only goes to Cheltenham ?? you would need to ring to confirm that.

If you havent got accomidation sorted now, i dont think you will get anywhere, i had to book mine in January :!: We are staying in a little town called Meysey Hampton, it a ten minute walk from the airfield.

Your best bet is do a google search of the small towns around Fairford like Dunfield so on under B&Bs.. if you do get somewhere they ask for 50
% postal order payment in sterling.. should be around 30 pounds a night B&B if you get an Inn (pub B&B) id say it would be double.

We arrive in on friday the 11th, the plan is to head straight to the airfield becuase some planes do still be arriving in, and alot of them do there practise runs.

If u cant get accomidation there are plenty of camping sites right beside the airfield, with tiolets, showers i think its only a tenner to camp up for 2 nights, but just walk in and get set up we didnt have to pay the 1st time we went just drove in.

I would try to stay as close as possible to the airfield (to miss nothing) but if u cant and are staying in Cheltenham or something like that leave plenty of time to get in, because if u are outside when the show starts, all drivers start hanging out the windows with cameras and just park in the middle of the road (me included) :lol:

There is a dedicated radio station called Wings 87.8 its a great help with the traffic reports so on... and gives you the low down on the pilots, planes...

Id hope the weather will be good this year, if it is, bring a hat or sun screen because its a total sun trap!! we all got sun stroke the first year we went (3years ago) when the MIG OVT was there, but im not sure if that was from all the drink we had that day :lol:

I think thats everything, if you need help with anything else just ask :D

Pete
Elvis A.P.

CML
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CML »

Thank you for the sound advice Elvis 8)

Elvis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Elvis »