Coonagh Airfield 60th Anniversary

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Coonagh Airfield 60th Anniversary

Post by HarryMc »

Hi All

This is a preliminary "heads up" that the Limerick Flying Club will host their Fly-in the weekend of 1st/2nd September 2007.

The 31st August is the 60th Anniversary of the opening of Coonagh Airfield. Subject to what the airfield historians have to say (Willo??) this makes Coonagh on of the oldest airfields in Ireland where flight ops have continued at the same location without a break since 1947.

Plans for the fly-in and associated celebration are at the early stage of development.

That said further bulletins will be posted here in due course.

Very obviously we hope to see all our old friends from through the years especially anyone who leared to fly at Coonagh and now fly elsewhere.

Anyone wanting to be put on an information mailing list ahould PM me and we will keep in touch.

Mark - and other webmasters might please copy date on to formal event lists and diaries.

Many thanks

Harry McNamara

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Hi Harry,

Would never have put myself as an airfield historian, I dont even know what happened in Abbeyshrule last week!

Remeber a great flight out of Coonagh in early 90s with John Keane in the Starduster when it was there. Coonagh has always been a great place, and there were some great fly-ins and BBQS for all visitors, air & ground.

It would be nice to do a history og the airfield for Flyng in Ireland to coincide with the 60th, & would be glad to help out on it.

I'll pencil in 1st & 2nd Sept, already looking forward to it!.

Willo

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HarryMc »

Hi Willo

See PM I have sent to you.

As it happens Michael Traynor did a fantastic history of aviation in Limerick since the first aviators appeared with balloons a couple of centurys ago as well as including a detailed history on the first fifty years of Coonagh. It was done in 1997 for the fiftieth.

A great read - though out of print I gather. Good idea though to have a feature article done to promote the anniversary.

Mark - what do you think??

Regards

Harry

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi guys,

Willo wrote:It would be nice to do a history og the airfield for Flyng in Ireland to coincide with the 60th

We would be delighted to publish an article to coincide with the anniversary and then to cover the celebrations in the magazine the following month. Harry and Willo, i'll be in touch and i'll talk to Michael Traynor as well.

I've penciled in September 1st/2nd, see you the :)

Regards,
Mark

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HarryMc »

On behalf of Limerick Flying Club I wish to confirm that we are going ahead with the Fly-in on 1st September. There will be party in the hangar on Saturday evening.

If anyone wishes to attend for the party we will need rough ideas of numbers in advance for catering purpose. Anyone requiring more information can send me a PM. We will post regular updates on the club website: www.limerickflyingclub.com and also on this site.

For accommodation we suggest the Travelodge at Coonagh Cross about two minutes from the airfield. Surface tarnsport will be made available.

Phone for airfield 061 -326600 Frequency 129.90
Harry McNamara
Member of NAGA Board

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HarryMc »

Hi All

Below is a link to advertising poster on the Limerick Flying Club web promoting the fly-in and celebrations. All are welcome. If joining us for the Saturday night, please PM me your details. We are having the event catered hence we need a handle on the numbers insofar as is possible. Cost for food is ?20 ph.

http://www.limerickflyingclub.com/2007% ... Poster.pdf

Hopefully the weather will be kind to at least one fly-in before the summer (??) ends.

Some brief info for those not familiar with Coonagh.

Runway 10/28 416m x 10m. Fuel available. Frequency 129.9

All circuits are at 800' to the South of the aerodrome. We have very noise sensitive neighbours to the north and north east of the aerodrome. Therefore no left hand departures if runway 10 is in use.

Regards

Harry

Hayden Lawford
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Hayden Lawford »

Hi all,

If you need any info on activities at Coonagh during the 1960's for an article in "Flying in Ireland" I would be delighted to help. Hope to attend the party on Saturday night,

See you then,

Hayden Lawford

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HarryMc »

Hi All

For those who are coming to Coonagh for celebrations on 1st September, we have an important update.

Due to the sheer numbers of members, past members and visitors looking to attend the official celebration party on the Saturday evening, it has become logistically impossible to hold the party at the airfield. Numbers of tickets booked now exceeds eighty.

As a consequence, we have decided to transfer the bash to The Greenhills Hotel in Caherdavin, five minutes drive from the airfield. We will advise on B&B rates tomorrow. Tickets can be booked in advance through PM to me. Function tickets are ?20 which includes hot buffet meal.

Further updates will be posted as we get nearer the event.

Regards

Harry

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HarryMc »

Hi Folks

All the latest weather forecast models are indicating good VFR weather for next weekend.

If you require tickets for party on Saturday we ideally would like to know by Wednesday night so that we can coordinate numbers for ordering food from hotel. This will be a reasonably casual affair with dress code to match.

For day visitors we will have food available throughout the day at the airfield. If flying in please do not forget noise abatement and circuits to the south of the airfield.

We look forward to seeing as many as possible. For once it looks as though the weather will hold up for a Fly-in.

Regards

Harry

georgeconna
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by georgeconna »

Hi Folks,

I will be travelling up from Cork by car a hope to take a few photographs early on Sunday Morning.

If anyone wants any special photos of aircraft and the like just give me a shout and I will do must best to accomodate and will e-mail them onto ya.

Look out for a chap with a camera bag on his back and a Cork hat on his head!!

Regards

George Norman

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HarryMc »

Hi All

Its official - for now anyway that the weather for Coonagh on Saturday is going to be nice with 10kts more or less down the runway. See latest TAF just released for EINN - which is a near as it gets for Coonagh.

TAF EINN 311000Z 311818 27010KT 9999 SCT015 BKN025 TEMPO 2009 5000 -DZ SCT006 BKN010=

We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible.

Harry

mosquito
Unverified User
Unverified User

Coonagh flyin

Post by mosquito »

A Chairde,

Looking to know how the Coonagh flyin went from some of the attendees??? Is flyinireland doing a piece on the history of the airfield soon?? Thanks in advance.
Tally ho Tally ho!!!!

HarryMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HarryMc »

Hi All

Thanks Mosquito for asking.

We had a very successful weekend of celebrations which were also very poignant as we remembered the late John Keane.

On Saturday, Mother Naure left us down with low cloud and poor vis up until lunchtime. By the time the weather lifted it was too late for many of the intended visitors to make the journey by air. That said several aircraft did vist from Kilrush, Abbeyshrule, Rathcoole, Erinagh amongst others.

We were honoured that several stalwarths of Irish Aviation who played significant roles in the development of Coonagh and Limerick Flying Club chose to join us especially (in no particular order) Hayden Lawford, Pierse Cahill and Felim Cronin.

The party on Saturday night was attended by over 120 past and current members and guests. A great night of hanger talk and reminisences ensued.

Attached is a link to photos taken by one of our student members during Saturday's fly-in. The dull light in some is indicative of the poor weather we had for some of the day.

http://picasaweb.google.com/richardquin ... VxURcHOvHA

We finished the weekend on Sunday morning with the naming of our new Tecnam EI-LFC "The Captain" in honour and memory of John. John with club CFI Brendan Beegan had delivered the aircraft from the factory in Naples just a week before his tragic accident.

It is hoped that we will be able to produce a report for Flying in ireland which it is great to hear is back on the shelves.

mosquito
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mosquito »

Cheers Harry,

Hope to sit PPL soon in EIWT and head down around home to study for ATPL's. Thinking of visiting Coonagh to keep the hand in over the the winter months. Hope to see ye then.

Regards,
Tally ho Tally ho!!!!