Aviation Festival in Cork

Please notify to this forum any events going on in the country related to Irish Aviation

Moderator: mark

The Blimp
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aviation Festival in Cork

Post by The Blimp » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:51 pm

Hi Guys, first time on here - just found the site!!! Looking for some tips - I'm part of a team that are putting together an aviation-based festival in Fota Island, Cork next year (end of May 2005) as part of the Cork 2005 - European Capital of Culture - celebrations. We will have 50+ hot-air balloons on site with Phil Dunnington (UK) as our flight director. We had a small (17 balloons) event just a few weeks ago to try and tease out any potential problems with ATC and the IAA - turned out to be very successful with the crews, authorities and the general public (even though we didn't publicise the event). So we have ballooning, we'll also have wing-walkers and an aerobatic display team (Nigel Lamb & Co. in Pitts Specials). We will also be approaching the usual supects - Red Arrows, Irish Aer Corps, parachuting, etc., but I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on any other things which might be good for the event? Any suggestions are very welcome!!
Watch me try this!

pensive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by pensive » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:45 pm

How about helicopter pleasure lights for the punters, get a spectacular view of the balloons! You'd never guess that's my trade. 8)

Dublin Spotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dublin Spotter » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:35 am

How about flypast from Irish Ailines landing in Cork on the day, Aer Arann, Ryanair etc etc. It would be worth a shot.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:50 pm

There's a restriction over Cork though, have to be over 1,500 feet. Would this be too high for a decent fly-over?
Can you apply for special clearance for low-level flying?
Regards,
Aidan

The Blimp
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Blimp » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:01 am

Thanks for coming back to me. In relation to helicopter flights we have looked at this and spoken to a few of the operators. Ran into a few probs though - what we wanted was to grant a pleasure-flight option to an operator for free and in return they would have to uplift some skydivers a couple of times a day. For this they would need a twin-engined heli (flights over crowds) - some heli-ops said their insurance wouldn't allow it, others wanted us to pay them for being there!! Still hoping to do it - our independent advice on this has run a bunch of models and the minimum numbers expected by them are in excess of 100,000 people over the 3 days - all enthused by aviation due to on-site activity - so surely it would be viable for a progressive heli-op?

As regards fly-bys, the guys at Cork Airport plus the ATC and IAA have been great so far in all our discussions with them so it may be possible. There was an initial discussion about doing a GA fly-by but with restrictions on AC parking at CK due to redevelopment it would mean flying over the site and then positioning to somwhere like Waterford or Kerry - which kind of defeats the purpose!!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!
Watch me try this!

Sticksforward
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sticksforward » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:01 pm

Might be a little more to consider,

You will probally need an outdoor events licence issued by the local Co Council.(same as planning permission)

The Red Arrows will cost you in excess of ?25,000 sterling plus insurances.

You will be required to put in place some sort of ATC and a TRA.

Best of luck

SF

The Blimp
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Blimp » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:30 am

Hi SF - thanks for your comments. We have a serious team in place on the operations side (aviation and on the ground) - our flight operations director has run similar events throughout the world for many years and has met with representatives from IAA and ATC (hence the reason for the 'trial' event afew weeks ago). As it stands we are talking with them now several times a month. We are also in regular contact with the local authorities regarding licensing and health & safety issues. We're aware of the Red Arrows cost (and that of all the other attractions!). In essence we will have a 3 day event kicking off with the morning mass balloon launch at dawn and running an hour or two after the evening mass balloon launch. In between these times we will pack in different events every 20 minutes or so (roughly 40/60 split between avaiation entertainment and main arena entertainment) as well as additional on-site attractions. No, it will not be like the recent Marley Park event (good and all as it was), it will be more like the Bristol Balloon Fiesta.
Watch me try this!