C42 Hire in Ireland

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

C42 Hire in Ireland

Post by michael747 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:55 pm

Hey Everyone and Happy New Year,

Is there anywhere to hire out a C42 back home?
Been signed off on one there a few weeks ago and was looking to hire one for a few months before considering purchasing a share in one.

Any help appreciated as always
Regards,
M747
:D

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: C42 Hire in Ireland

Post by Sierra Papa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I had a few great flights in a C42 with Kernan Aviation, only about an 1:15 hrs drive from Dublin. Put the name in google, they have a good webpage. Very nice crowd, enjoy. C42 is a fine little machine.
S.P.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Many thanks SP.

Doesn't say anything on their website about solo hire!
Any idea what they charge? I'll shoot em an email
Regards,
M747

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't know what they charge now I think then (Dec 2010) it was around £40 for 30 minutes. When it comes to solo hire, like any other aircraft operator they won't let you just jump in to their aircraft and fly away you'll probably have go up with an instructor first. But you can still get a very good feel for the aircraft as he'll probably let you do all the flying. Best thing drop them an email and take it from there.
Regards. S.P.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

If you don't have REALLY good short field experience expect 10 hrs or more practice up there. Loved being a member of that club, really nice place, really nice people. Really short field.

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Ahh...Go on in 10 hours you would teach a monkey to land in that place, it's not so bad. :-)
S.P.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:40 pm

HAHA ten hours..... You mean if you have NO technique you can expect to spend 10 hours up there?
Thanks anyway lads. Happy New Year
Regards,
M747

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Kernan Aviation is one of the finest schools and club anywhere in Ireland ... or for that matter the UK.
Not sure if Raphael rents the C42's for solo hire, but a conversion would be on the cards before flying from the strip if he did.
Its a tricky strip for anyone not experienced, but its a fine place to master the skills.
Give Raphael a call and have a chat, wont hurt in any case....... All the best.
The C42 is a damn fine aircraft, owned one for a few years and have done bit over 1000 hours in them.... looking to replace again and no matter what I look at, none come close as an all-rounder.

Would like this, still a microlight and tops out at over 200mph, but tight in and out of 300 metres.

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Your hilarious Jonkil,

You already have a fantastic little plane. Just get the Flash 2 Alpha up and running again. Finish your conversion and you'll never look back. Do it before the end of February. No fun flying at 200 mph. A trip from Donegal to Kerry would be a local hop, you could take off at 9am and still be back home for lunch. You would be bored after only two months. A trip to Kerry from Donegal in the Flash 2 Alpha on the other hand would be a 3 day weekend away. The best weekends flying you could ever have. As Nike say, Just Do it.

Agree about Kernan Aviation, amazing place to visit. I trained there as well back in 2005. When you master flying in and out of the Top Field there is literally no airfield in Ireland that you will not be able to land into. Really tightens up your flying. I am sure a good few circuits from the bottom field and an hour ot two in and out of the top field would definately have you solo from there if your already qualified. Very good friendly and professional yet relaxed instructors. Definately worth a visit.

Damien.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them