Irish PPL(M) Syllabus Published

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Irish PPL(M) Syllabus Published

Post by mark » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi all,

The IAA have published the Syllabus for the Irish Private Pilot License for Microlight Aeroplanes. You can view it at http://www.flyinginireland.com/news/201 ... ht_Syl.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some interesting conversion requirements between 3 Axis and Flexwing ratings..... comments anyone?

Regards,
Mark

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 pm

j
Last edited by JFH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Irish PPL(M) Syllabus Published

Post by jonkil » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Well... its about time !
May go somewhat towards helping with the half harted approach the IAA had towards Microlight licencing.
Wonder did they seek any advice from the NMAI regarding this? or is it published to suit themselves?
Time will tell I guess, if its good enough then we will see many more doing the Irish PPL(m), if not then the UK NPPL will still reign king.
I sincerely hope that they have thought it through, seeked guidance from those in the know and published a workable syllabus.... it is really needed to get more students on board.
I'll go and have a read !

furball
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by furball » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 am

Has the number of hours you can transfer to getting a PPL(A) rating changed at all? Previously it was very low at about 10 hours or so.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:33 pm

JFH wrote:Note they say "should" complete 15 hours.
There is a difference between should and Must
Using the word should sounds to be like that is only a recommended amount but the reality may be that the instructor can judge when you are ready to do the rating skill test after X hours.
Well spotted but I guess this will be interpreted by the IAA as must. See my comments below – I don’t think the IAA trust their own instructors enough to “judge” when pilots are ready.
JFH wrote: Great to see one only needs 30 hours now insted of 40. Hopefully it will draw more people into the activity
The 30 hour requirement has been in place for over a year now - it looks like it's slowly starting to encourage new people into flying.
jonkil wrote: Well... its about time !
May go somewhat towards helping with the half harted approach the IAA had towards Microlight licencing.
Wonder did they seek any advice from the NMAI regarding this? or is it published to suit themselves?
Hi Jon, yes it is about time and I think with a few small changes it could be an excellent document. I believe the NMAI were not consulted before the publication of this which is a little surprising. In fact, I don't really know who has published it. Who are the Irish Microlight Instructor and Examiner Panel? A search on the IAA website reveals no answers. It seems a lot less credible without anyone’s name attached. Perhaps it was written by the IAA licensing department under the guise of the Irish Microlight Instructor and Examiner Panel?

My gripe is with the training requirements to add a flexwing rating or 3-axis rating to your licence. This has been done for years (not just in Ireland but the rest of Europe too) and 5 hours is generally accepted as being a minimum requirement. Of course the final say is with the instructor.

I think that by specifying a minimum of 15 hours to add a flexwing/3 axis rating shows complete distrust by the IAA towards the instructors that they have issued with instructor ratings. I think microlight instructors should have the discretion to make a decision after 5 hours as to whether someone can safely fly an aircraft or not. It looks like the IAA doesn’t trust them to make this decision.

The result of this requirement will be to drive more people to doing the conversion training under the CAA system (in around 5 hours) and then have the rating issued on their Irish licence. This is bad for Irish schools and clubs who desperately need the business.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:14 pm

j
Last edited by JFH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:22 pm

I have an Irish PPL A SEP ( single engine piston ) and do not intent to do any silly "convertion" courses. I flew many types of aircraft from my own simple c150 to complex singles across north atlantic. Unless someone has a multi engine or turbine microlight, I will fly any SEP microlight and I simply don't care about money making legislation. Happy flying.

Regards S.P.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm

After reading and digesting the document I have concluded that the IAA have once again managed to snatch defeat from the hands of success, shame really as they had it in their grasp to get it right and wasted the opportunity.
A well, business will still be good, and probably better for the schools teaching the UK NPPL license up north on foot of this publication.
The cynical out there would almost think the document was prepared and written in order to keep a student 'on the books' so to speak for as long as possible ! ... most will perceive it as such.
15 hours for a flex conversion from 3 axis.....WHAT? .. Who the hell do they think they are kidding?
It may take some people 15 hrs, maybe 30 to complete the conversion..... the majority is 6 or 7 and it should be at the instructors discretion, not some cartel's say so !... for pity's sake. The published syllabus is full of similar rubbish,
Sorry IAA/Irish Microlight Instructor and Examiner Panel(whoever they are), no prizes this time... in fact 'must do better' springs to mind.
Advice still stands, north to the 6 counties or across the pond and get your ticket.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Did anyone proof-read this official document, it looks like a 6 year-old typed it up!

Some extracts:

The use of the word "should" has been previously commented on, but section 8 states that all of the subject matter "should" be covered in the ground school

Section 12 refers to the licence as a PPM(M)

Section 13, the penultimate paragraph makes no sense in English at all. i assume it was translated by google from some other language and pasted

Section 16- NMAi is singular, so NMAI "has" not "have", "is" not "are"

Can't read anymore,my head will explode, if only trying to work out where the punctuation should be.

sounds trivial, yes, but I have put up a link on our site to this official IAA/Examiners & Instructors document, & it should be a selling point for training in Ireland.

As for the Examiners & Instructors group, what is the story? Why is our club not included in this, despite being an IAA approved RTF, and one in existence longer than any of the members!

Willo

noel
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by noel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Has anyone noticed the sequencing of exercises.
Solo flight before forced landings and unusual attitudes.
Did any QUALIFIED flexwing instructor proof read this.
Or are the IAA intent on killing anyone who wants to fly a flexwing.

noel
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by noel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Do we have a qualified flexwing instructor in ireland ?
How and where did they get their qualifacation ? :?: :?: :?: :?:

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:19 pm

noel wrote:Has anyone noticed the sequencing of exercises.
Solo flight before forced landings and unusual attitudes.
Did any QUALIFIED flexwing instructor proof read this.
Or are the IAA intent on killing anyone who wants to fly a flexwing.
Noel,
it reads very poorly. Just typical of something prepared by someone who knows little about flying.
The logical people to ask before this was ever issued was the experts in this field... that is the NMAI in Ireland.... but no ... that's too easy, why not get some asses to set up some group and tell the IAA what's needed ! ... my God, where are those peoples brains ? ... Someone WILL BE KILLED in Ireland yet with the lack of any professional flexwing instructors or any proper syllabus in situ.
Please inform any potential students where to go, where to get professional and proper instruction that will be conducted in a safe and proper manner by someone who knows what they are doing and not by someone/somewhere that could kill them.
At this point in time this instruction is only offered in the northern schools, the UK or foreign schools teaching the NPPL syllabus by CAA approved instructors.
It's a sorry state of affairs that this is the advice we MUST OFFER because of the inaptitude of our state governing body.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:18 pm

mark wrote: Who are the Irish Microlight Instructor and Examiner Panel?
Sorry to dig up an old subject but did anyone ever find out who are / what is Instructor and Examiner Panel? Is it part of the IAA?

I've looked all over the new IAA website but there's no mention of it :?:

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:41 pm

mark wrote:
mark wrote: Who are the Irish Microlight Instructor and Examiner Panel?
Sorry to dig up an old subject but did anyone ever find out who are / what is Instructor and Examiner Panel? Is it part of the IAA?

I've looked all over the new IAA website but there's no mention of it :?:
Nobody knows, probably something the IAA dreamt up,
They make it up as they go along, no structure, no routine. They now don’t even answer correspondence from individuals looking about instructor queries, they simply don’t know and use the ostrich trick... bury the head in the sand.