Mini Max

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Mini Max

Post by nosedive » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:55 am

Hi all, wondering if there are any Mini Maxs out there?

If I can't fly I still need to get out of teh house so I was thinking I might take on a project and build one but wonder if anyone's aware of difficulties in registering EI and getting first flights etc signed off?

Might I be better going G reg and transfer once she's airworthy?

Also, are there any inspectors on the island who could supervise the build and sign off stages of completion?

It'll probably never get finished but I'd still like to know - you never can tell......
Another broken undercarriage........

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Mini Max

Post by damienair » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Nosedive,

There would be no problem building a MiniMax and registering it through the NMAI. The NMAI has plenty of very good Inspectors, some whom have come through the ranks as Aircraft Mechanics and Engineers in the Aer Corps and Airlines. They can inspect all stage builds and sign off. Many of these guys have built their own aircraft. Also have a look at the HiMax, the high wing version of the MiniMax which is gorgeous.

Also have a look on AFORS, sometimes MiniMax's come up for sale requiring a recovering and some minor repair work, they are sold for a couple of thousand pounds and would be a nice fixer upper, good choice, I love the look of them, they are gorgeous little airplanes.

Damien
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

robclay26
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robclay26 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Nosedive,

I am interested in building sometime one of these kit planes myself, the one i found to be of most interest is the Sd1 Minisport, its a Czech built aircraft/kit. It comes in various stages of constuction from basic materials kit @ €798, 51% kit €6,927 or fully complete €21,954.
Comes in tail dragger or tricycle landing gear. Engines range from 28hp to 50hp Hirth or briggs and stratton.
Have been in contact with the NMAI and was told this aircraft is fine under the Irish Permit system.
http://www.sdplanes.com/sd1a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the website for it.

Personally, I like this model much better than the Minimax, not to put the minimax down or anything, but this is a newer aircraft and much cleaner look.

Best of look with your choice!

Regards,
Rob

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:51 pm

As Homer might say; MMMM sseexxxyyyy kit plane.......aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hadn't looked into the SD-1 in any detail but thanks for pointing it out Rob. Could be a contender!

Gyropilot
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Gyropilot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Heres a link to a Minimax/Himax forum, plenty of info there.

http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?
http://www.gyroflying.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I'll go with the SD-1, I particularly like the fact that the main spar and tail plane spars are made for you.

What about fitting a BRS; are there many in the country? Any hassle with getting the sign off to fit one? Not that I'll be pushing the plane to limits but nice to have the piece of mind just in case (especially with something my clumsy mitts have built). :P