X-air microlight

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

mmcgtk
Unverified User
Unverified User

X-air microlight

Post by mmcgtk »

Hi all,im new to the forum

although ive never flowen (looking to get lessons) my father and his friend own an xair microlight plane which they rarly use,its left in the hanger most of the year,after ive stopped competing in motorsport (past 12 years) iv'e now the urge to take up a hobby and i always had an interest in flying but when i was competing it took up too much time to follow up on flying, i want to go down the route of lessons and be thought right way first time around,

so wheres the best and cheapest (i know they dont usually work together) to get lessons

n.i or u.k mainland europe or just in the south

im aware that the u.k/n.i only require 25hrs for a license compared to the south which if a remember right is 40hrs

any advice or information is greatly welcomed

also is it possible to get lessons in your own plane??

Regards

Michael

quagmire
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: X-air microlight

Post by quagmire »

Hi, the best place to get advice would be from the NMAi , national microlight association of ireland.
i think that training is now 35 hours in ROI, they have a website, www.nmai.ie i think,
Hope this helps.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

New requirement will be min 30 hrs, if I remember rightly. Actual average hrs according to IAA is 53 hrs, so minima probably irrelevant north or south

Where are you based, if you're looking to train in RoI, this will prob dictate where to go, but try www.ultraflight.ie for the East/Midlands or www.irishaerosports.com for the south east

I fly at Ultralfight, great aircraft and good club. Not sure about training in X-Air, though, I know pilots have trained in their own Sambas.

Best regards

Willo

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper »

hi michael, if your going the uk nppl(microlight) route you can train in your own aircraft as long as your the sole owner and not part of a syinicate. in ireland if you can train in a samba aircraft im sure you can train on an xair. i would reccommend doing the exams up north and flight training for 2 weeks in france or spain where you do your training on x airs , which is handy as you will be flying them when you get home. better weather 2 ! pm me if you need some numbers, pat

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

No problem using your own plane to learn on, must be sole owner of it as stated earlier, if it's a G reg there is no Issue in any N.Ireland Schools, if it is EI reg then permission must be sought from UK CAA to be taught on... no big issue there either.. all above info based on UK/NI schools. My brother completed his flight training on an X-Air at Carrickmore flying school in Tyrone from zero time to licence in 35 hours.
The NMAI website/Forums have all the contact details for all the schools, North or South at http://www.NMAI.ie
Most of the Northern Ireland schools teach 3 axis on a fleet of Modern Ikarus C42's. Hope this helps, for more info drop me an e-mail via my signature at the bottom.

Jon
http://www.RuskeyAirfield.com

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim »

hedgehopper wrote:hi michael, if your going the uk nppl(microlight) route you can train in your own aircraft as long as your the sole owner and not part of a syinicate.
There is a somewhat, small change to the rule of "G" reg
Flight training rule change for group aircraft from 1st July 2010
The permission, published in the Official Record Series as 802 and 803 can be found here http://www.caa.co.uk/ors4
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Hi Jim

The changes outlined only cover paying an instructor for training "providing the training does not contribute to the granting of a licence or rating".

Therefore wouldnt apply in this instance.

Willo

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim »

Not quite so willo,
Our legal epartment ave summed the following..
802 Note 1 states..
This exemption applies only to aircraft which are both jointly owned and in a club
environment. Article 259(2) defines a club environment as meaning where an aircraft
owned by, operated by or operated under arrangements entered into by a flying club of
which both the instructor or examiner and student or examinee are members. So to
comply with this exemption, the joint owners will need to enter into arrangements with
a flying club such that the aircraft is operated by or operated under arrangements with
that flying club.

Therefore.. Legally..
I can Personally instruct any pupil i care to register on any aircraft as a club member and instruct in whatever class i decide.

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper »

jim, the way im reading it you can do all of what you have stated above but the person you are instructing must already have a ppl, so you could take a ppl holder up to brush up on their skills and get paid for it but it cant count towards their licence, so its pretty much pointless.

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim »

It would be rather inappropriate for me to spell it out here but,
Many across the water are taking advantage of the legal loophole that exits because of the change.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

Law in UK changing to allow instruction/teaching in kit-built/home-build microlights, due to be through by end August 2010. This will open up the arena to many capable aircraft inc the very popular skyranger e.t.c ... about time too, the statistics show that kitbuild aircraft are comparably as safe as factory built machines.
The law in the UK always was that a sole owner could be taught in his own aircraft, kit-built or otherwise for his licence.... The difference will be that schools now will be able to train on a bigger range of aircraft, in a lot of cases much more affordable aircraft than the factory build machines used up until now.... with any luck the savings can be passed on the student hence making his training a bit cheaper, and to boot the ability to teach out of un-licenced airfields makes it more affordable. That relaxation of the rule being implemented here in the South will also help.

first officer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by first officer »

hi, i have held a jar ppl (A)for a number of years and bought an x-air a few months ago, couldnt fly it because i did'nt have a (M) microlight rating on my licence...My x-air is like a large air brake with a two stroke engine 65hp and have just got the microlight rating on a eurostar with a 4 stroke (80hp) engine so i may fly my aircraft within ireland... I hope at some stage some common sence will come into effect regarding light sport aircraft (microlight) but most important make sure to get the best of training and keep your self leagel and safe ,no matter how stuiped the laws are... Best of luck with the flight training and rember to enjoy every minute...
Regards first officer...