br8eix spark plugs

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

br8eix spark plugs

Post by hedgehopper »

hi all, do any of our 2 stroke heads out there use br8eix as opposed to the usual br8es spark plugs. if so how do you rate them? from what ive been reading br8eix last 3 times longer, increase preformance and are more fuel efficent although a little more expensive and dont come with solid caps . but most guys use loctite to get around that problem. any opinions ? pat

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Re: br8eix spark plugs

Post by buggyB »

Interesting, although they cost way more than the BR8ES as 4 would be over €50-€60 at the very cheapest. I've never used them but the marketing suggests that they also have a resistance to fouling, which is nice on a 2-stroke, and require much less potential for a spark which should mean a more reliable and consistant burn throughout their replacement cycle. The motorcycle guys don't seem to get much of a power increase but do say that they get better fuel economy. Cost wise it's still much cheaper to get a stash of regular solid tops and just change them on a regular basis while cleaning the old ones.

It is also possible to get solid top Iridium plugs, they are called BR8EIX Solid instead of using the S suffix on the plug code or search for NGK 6747

Edit to add: You also need to be careful of the gapping. These come pregapped to 0.035" and for rotax use they need to be 0.018-0.020". With the thinner electrode it's more difficult to bend them properly to get the gap right and there is a risk of damaging it. It can be done, just more carefully than with the regular plugs.

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper »

hi buggy, br8eix get very good reviews on the bmaa website. also http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk sell them for £27.73 inc vat plus postage for 4 and there cheaper again on e bay. if they could be bought at the right price they would be a good investment. cost is everything these days !

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB »

They don't seem to supply the solid tops, which for me would be important. I found some on ebay delivered from the US for about €35 (box of 4) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0358243804 which is not bad. The picture is a generic plug.

I might look into those based on the fouling resistance (they are used a lot in inverted engines for this reason) as I find my plugs get a bit messy on low power approach and I could do without the pucker factor on a go-around. Last time I got plugs I ordered 12 BR8ES from ebay off a guy in Las Vegas for about €20 delivered. I now have 3 sets, one running, one clean and ready to change and the last set I took out ready for cleaning.

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper »

from what im reading on the bmaa site a lot of guys use them in inverted engines purely because of the fouling issue, after that its slightly better preformance, about 100-200 rpm extra which might mean changing the prop pitch to suit and a bit less fuel consumption. although everyone would rather use solid top spark plugs , there seems to be no problems with the aliminium screw on tops with these plugs , just extra checking of the plug tops on pre flight to make sure theres no aliminium chaffing caused by engine vibrations . if you do get a set let me know how they preform , ill do likewise if i go down that route. pat