Changing from PPL(a) to PPL(m)

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Changing from PPL(a) to PPL(m)

Post by michael747 »

I had thought of going down this route about a year ago but decided against it.

The only reason i did so was because i was told that the hours in the (m) would not count towards your CPL (A) hours....

I was also told at the time that the IAA were contemplating about changing this so that the hours will count.
Anybody know if it has changed yet?
Or will it ever change?
Regards,
M747
:D

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO »

It is amazing how, sometimes, a little research brings forth an unexpected answer

The UK position is set out at http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence ... ew/FAQ.htm

Q What do I need to do to fly microlights on my light aircraft (SEP) licence?

A You may fly microlights without any further training or testing within the privileges of your CAA or JAA issued PPL (A) if you have a current SEP rating. You are advised to take conversion training with an instructor. You cannot use microlight flying hours towards the maintenance of the SEP rating. If your SEP rating lapses and you wish to continue to fly microlights you should apply for a NPPL with a microlight rating attached. The requirements are given in the cross credit document on this site.

Being careful to take on board HUM's very correct caution about belief in website gossip I believe this is still the case in Ireland

Nothing has been done (yet) to diminish the Irish PPL

Possibly because it would be invidious to take from local PPL's freedoms automatically enjoyed by any visiting PPL

Maurice

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

c

Post by JFH »

f
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

Hi,

I recently tried to do this myself.
The situation in ireland is that I cannot fly a Microlight in ireland on a UK JAA PPL, I can however get a "microlight rating" added onto my JAA Licence, This is done by going to any Microlight training Facility (Irish Aero Sports comes to mind) and do training with the instructor. You then have to pass a check with the CFI of that trianing facility.

I beleive then you will get a IAA national licence with a Microlight rating on it.

Even though if i went to the UK i could fly a microlight with no difference training.

Regards,
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

v

Post by JFH »

y
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MHRCRO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by MHRCRO »

These argument become circular

As I understand it an EI Reg microlight may be flown in Irish Airspace by

A pilot holding a Licence issued or validated for that purpose by Ireland

A pilot holding an any ICAO PPL rated for SEP aeroplane

A pilot holding a JAA SEP licence - provided the microlight flown conforms to the JAA definition

To arrive at the above consider that

JAR FCL 1005 (a)(5) does not outlaw JAA defined microlights

The mention of new microlight categories, originally in AN 45, can only apply to NPPL type licences, as ICAO does not provide for introduction of new Categories (only classes) by individual stataes

Let there be peace

Maurice