Changing from PPL(a) to PPL(m)

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

batman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Changing from PPL(a) to PPL(m)

Post by batman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi folks

I currently hold a ppl with about 200hrs flown mainly on c172's and pa28s, like most of ye here i love my flying but its starting to get prohibitively expensive, also the school i hire from are training mainly commercial students now and hiring an aircraft now for any significant period of time is next or near impossible, because of these over the past 2 years i've managed to just about stay current but i have'nt had anything that i could describe as quality flying.
Obviously buying a share in an aircraft would be a simple solution however the options available to me in my home base are old high time avgas guzzlers and although it would solve the availability issue im not sure they represent value for money.
I was thinking about converting to a ppl (m) and possibly purchasing a pegasus or something similiar to base locally but i have a few questions

1. Whats involved in converting the licence...hours to be flown, written exams, flight test?
2. Schools for training in the south of ireland preferably flexwing...and if known price per hr dual and solo
3. Are they practical touring machines when you consider irelands unpredictable weather!
4. Has anyone bought there own machine...whats the insurance requirements, can the maintenance be done by the operator, what fuel type does something like a pegasus use,
And last but not least :roll:
5. Does anyone have any website names with microlights for sale or even general info

Thanks Lads

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Changing from PPL(a) to PPL(m)

Post by DonalMW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:10 am

Hi.

I don't know the knitty-gritty involved in a change over. When I got my NPPL and Validated it in Ireland I know hours I had done in A class aircraft counted towards my 50 hr total.

Simple solution : Call the IAA licencing department, whom I've always found to be friendly and efficient.

Websites of interest : http://www.afors.co.uk and http://www.thehangar.co.uk

Weight-shift training is available in Kilkenny Try this website http://www.irishaerosports.com/

batman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by batman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Cheers Donal

Out of curiosity how many of the hours counted and what training you did here consist of ?

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Batman, as far as I know a microlight rating added to to your PPL is a minimum of 5 hours anyway so it seems you're not too far away??!

You'll not look back - I promise :lol:
Another broken undercarriage........

batman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by batman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Jeez if thats the case nosedive it would be great....

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi, late reply sorry, all my "A" hours carried over.

I had 16, and maybe 4 or 5 solo.

Expect a flight test, similar to PPL or so I've heard.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:09 pm

yes, apologies I should have said 5 hours and a skills test but I think that's it....
Another broken undercarriage........

batman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by batman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Rang the iaa today ...to convert over to microlights is just a case of 5 hrs training and a flight test which leaves you with a microlight rating on your current ppl

Donal and nosedive ye were both right!

That just leaves the question is it worth doing...ie what type of machine to buy at what cost and where to put it...and are the lower end affordable models practical touring machines or will i be stuck flying local flights at 55mph.....ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE ;-)

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 pm

It depends on the machine you buy.

You mentioned Weight-Shift. Depending on your budget you can get an ample cross country machine that'll cruise upto 100mph. The Pegasus quikr springs to mind, or the Pegasus gt450 perhaps.

Switching to weight-shift will in my opinion require alot more than 5 hours, in my opinion.
But if you fancied 3-axais 5 hours plus a test is easily doable.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi batman,

With a mictolioght rating on your PPL(A) you will still need to keep yur A licence current.

Willo

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 pm

At least, that is what i have always assumed.

Can anyone clarify?

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm 95% sure you're right willow. Also you have criteria to keep your rating valid also.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi all

I went through this process at Birr some eighteen months ago. I hold PPL A and have reasonably decent level of hours and experience. I spoke to Kevin Glynn and Joe Davy about getting the M added to my licence.

The five hours is recommened though does not seem to be cast in stone. I did just over an hour of very intense dual (basically difference training) on the Eurostar. I had the advantage of about a dozen Tecnam hours under my belt at the time. After a little more than an hour with Kevin he recommended to Joe that I should do the skills test. That was another hour with Joe and he signed me off for the PPL(M). I then sent licence, Joe's sign-off, copy of log-book and the requisite few bob to the IAA. I had the licence back with rating attached inside three or four days with just over two hours logged.

All very civilized and efficient.

I suggest you contact Kevin and Joe at Birr and take it from there. Joe will have the final say and if he feels you need the five hours then he will insist on it.

Best of luck. By the way the big gas guzzlers as you call them are still my first preference.
Shrtfld

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Raven 912 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:30 am

Hi Batman

Depending on what type of flying you want to do a decent flexwing will cost between 3500 and 30000 euro. I flew to Oban in Scotland from Clonbullogue in my Huntwing burning 8ltrs of unleaded an hour. Changed to a 912 because I'm not really happy with a 2 stroke over the sea but plenty do it. Sold the Huntwing for 3500 with a new permit and a road trailer.

I've been all over Scotland, England, Wales and France from Clonbullogue in the 912 Raven burning 11 ltrs of unleaded an hour. I've been in and out of London too. We usually go to the Isle of Wight once a year for a rally.

Third party and passenger cover will cost you 266.40 with the NMAI insurance scheme. You can do all your own maintenance and it will cost you 180 euro per year for the permit for the aircraft plus the inspector inspection fee.

Hangarage costs anywhere between 500 and 1500 per year fully rigged. You can find plenty for sale at www.afors.com or on the NMAI website at www.nmai.ie

All the best
Paul

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Donal.

you are right with the rating.

My understanding is that you will need to do 12hrs flying every second year, of which 6 must be on microlight, plus hour with instructor to keep rating valid.

Thisis on top of the 12hrs currency requirement for yout A licence, with 1 hr with instructorm unless it overlaps the 6hrs flown for microlight currency that wasn't for the M licence (i.e. the 6hrs you can fly A towards your M currency!!!)

Regarding attaining the rating, my understanding is that the 5hrs is IAA requirement, so to be able to do GFT after less, I would question.

Batman,
the NMAI are a very proactive organisation, and will be able to advise you on all aspects, as Paul has here.
The 5hrs (if you're going the three axis route) can be done at a number of locations in Rep. of Ireland. Locally for me is Ultrafligjt in Abbeyshrule, and if you want further details on them, PM me

Cheers

Willo