Microlights

Still the fastest gowing sector in Irish Aviation - This forum is dedicated to everything microlight related! [Only Verified Users can post in this forum]

Moderator: mark

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Microlights

Post by DonalMW » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:17 pm

As alot of you guys know, i've been pushing for a microlight section on this forum for maybe a year. I think alot of the flying being done in Ireland is in this category, and is one of the fastest growing, due to increased performance of the newer machines, and the greater affordability over group A aircraft.

I'd like for this section to become a discussion area with pilots and enthusiasts exchanging views, experiences, and banter on all aspects of microlighting. (Or ultralighting as some might like it to be called)

Lets start a few topics, like

Training

Aircraft

Friendly Microlight Airfields/Airports

Microlight fly-ins

web links

Photos / Videos

Even tho i've recently moved to the USA and am on a flying break i'll take it upon myself to monitor this section several times daily and help anyonre I can with the information and experiences i've gathered over my years in the sport. And if I can't answer the questions posted I know there's several forumites here greatly more qualified to answer them.

Donal Williams

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

great to see your persistence paid off Donal fair play!!
X'Air 582(5)

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:05 pm

8)

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:42 pm

DonalMW wrote:I miss flying....... Sad
Don't they have microlights, sorry untralights in the states you could borrow.
Do they have any groups you could join. I hate to see a pilot obviously suffering from withdrawal symptoms!!
Anyway well done on getting this section up and runing.

Hugo.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi, Yes Hugo, i've been looking into it here recently. Just the expense of having moved to the US and getting settled, in a year from now i'll try to get airborne again.

bogair !
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bogair ! » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:55 pm

when did this section pop up ! about time too,well done donal ! im still trying to get the difinative answer on rotax 582 crankshaft casing leaks and seeing as a lot of us microlight heads try and do our own maintenance to keep the costs down , i guess any web links on maintenance etc would be great. to start off the bmaa site is quite good , must be lots more out there though . i know the forum has a maintenance section but its geared mostly for general aviation but our own microlight section will be a real bonus for sharing info and tips . well done all !

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:38 pm

Hello Donal,

Great to hear from you and hope your enjoying the states. Well done with getting this part of the forum set up. If it is any help to you i've been grounded this year too. We had a little boy 10 weeks ago and lets just say that my wings were well and truely clipped since May. Last year I logged 200 hours, this year if I'm lucky I might log 20. All my spare time is sapped, as someone said to me recently when refering to a baby, they are time spunges. I have only just recently got time to start looking at forums again.

Really rotten summer again this year anyway, third in a row, at least you will hopefully have settled weather to contend with when you do get flying again.

Damien.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi Damienair. Congrats on parenthood. Life in the USA is good. The weather here is flyable almost every day, such a difference to back home. Not much "Ultralights" in my neck of the woods tho..... Been doing online research but the nearest "Ultralight" center is 2-3 hours away. Plenty of GA here tho.
And float planes..... Hopefully in a year or 2 i'll get airborne again. I might even look into weight-shift (4-stroke). I'd love to go rotor wing but that's mighty expensive :roll: :lol:
Anyhow...... Hopefully you get some in soon, and that the weather gives you a break. Seems to be alot of fly-ins this year, and seems most of them went ahead, that's awesome.

Donal

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:53 pm

One thing it might be necessary we should be clear about

Anyone holding an ICAO (and that includes JAA/ICAO) PPL for single-engined landplanes does not have to take any further Licensing action prior to flying a microlight

The normal prudent familiarisation.applicable to any new type suffices

There are signs that Ireland may be about to introduce a National ICAO rating for microlights - if this happens then it will, presumably, be necessary that holders of Licences issued by Ireland shall carry this rating

This would be a fairly classic case of troubling everyone for the sake of those who may desire an ICAO compliant Licence valid only for microlights

Caution is necessary for anyone contemplating an International Flight in that an ICAO Licensed pilot may only engage in International Air Navigation if the aircraft he flies is Annex 8 compliant - they are actually probably better but alas uncertified

Best cheer

Maurice

fly4life
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fly4life » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am

mcro
i assume this only applys to 3 axis microlights what is the requirements for
ppl transistion to flexiwing
First time caller long time listener

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:12 am

For flex-wng additional skills are obviously necessary but not additional licensing

A PPL is good for what it says on the tin!

Enjoy , at least until bureaucracy gets there

Maurice