A forum for aircraft engineers to discuss topics of interest

Moderator: mark

femalepw1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Bendix or Slick?

Post by femalepw1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi All,
Just wondering has anyone got an opinion on either of the models of magnetos, My Avco Lycoming needs a new set and I am in the process of pricing both types with new HT Leads and Plugs but wanted to get the advice from users of both models.

Whats the better one to go with for overhaul timings etc parts availability and overhaul pricing

Would I be better to just buy complete new set or go for an overhaul on my bendix ones?

Many Thanks

femalepw1
Last edited by femalepw1 on Tue May 31, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Bendix or Slick?

Post by lorax » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:13 pm

From Aviation consumer magazine
"Both the Bendix 1200 series, top, and Slick 4300/6300 mags look alike outwardly. But the Slicks have significant design and construction advantages for field repair."

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Bendix or Slick?

Post by hum » Wed May 04, 2011 11:48 am

This link should give you an idea of new prices, nb shipping VAT and duty on top. Also, nb you prob have to send your old ones as a core.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/magnetos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check if you really need an overhaul - generally a 500 hour check is required unless the engine is at TBO and is being overhauled (or has had a propstrike). The 500 hour check is not a huge deal and depending on condition should be less than replacement. Slick (Unison) seem to have priced parts high so that an overhaul works out more expensive than a new unit.

Try Brinkley aviation for overhaul of either type. I had a recent quote from Saywell for new Slicks (about £1000 + VAT for a pair + a core deposit of £111 for each mag)

Some good background info here:

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182843-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;