Destruction of the Irish Aircraft Maintenance Industry

A forum for aircraft engineers to discuss topics of interest

Moderator: mark

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Destruction of the Irish Aircraft Maintenance Industry

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 pm

I read recently in the Irish Independent that Aer Lingus plan to close their hanger based in Shannon with the loss of 70 jobs. The reason for closing the hanger is apparently due to the fact that Aer Lingus plan to move this maintenance to wait a second you've guessed it Hanger 6 in Dublin.

So far our government has stood idly by while 1200 jobs are lost from SR Techniques in Dublin, then refused to deal with probably the most successful multinational this country has ever produced and most likely the most stable and economically successful airline in the world at this moment who by the way wanted to create 500 jobs. Now there's the situation that not only has the government prevented the creation of jobs they are directly the cause of the loss of another hanger and 70 more jobs.

Between Aerlingus the government and DAA it's hard to know who's the more crooked. But, it would seem from my point of view mainly the latter two, with Aerlingus seemingly happy to be a pawn in their games.

Whatever is the case however, we've now seen a massive crash in the Irish Aircraft Maintenance industry that no one would have believed and well over a thousand highly qualified personnel lining up every week for the dole.

Can you seriously imagine that this would be let happen anywhere else?

Regards,
Bob

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Destruction of the Irish Aircraft Maintenance Industry

Post by RV BLUE » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Bob wrote:
Can you seriously imagine that this would be let happen anywhere else?

Regards,
Bob
As much as I would like to say"no" its is happening all over the world. All industry's are feeling the pain. My own industry is crumbling with droves of highly trained communication personnel joining the dole lines. the days of "protectionism" are long gone...no one is immune !!

Happy Landings

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:38 pm

I understand that protectionism ultimately isn't in the best interest of anybody, but I don't even think this was protectionism in fact it was probably the opposite.
You had Ryanair wanting to take over the hanger with only one condition being that the DAA wouldn't be the one owning it. The simple solution was to hand it over to another state body and rent the hanger to Ryanair, as far as I recall. Even sell them it as they really wanted.

I also don't buy the Aer Lingus contract been unbreakable. For one the Ryanair/Government stake in Aer Lingus is over 50% so surely they must have some say in the goings on of Aer Lingus. Maybe my business law is completely off there though. But, even if it was unbreakable why the hell was it given to Aer Lingus in the first place if their plan was to under use it and then lay off the Shannon staff and leave yet another DAA hanger empty. But sure of course we don't like Shannon do we.

Something stinks about this one, but sure as usual we'll all stick are heads in the sand and let the brown envelopes flow.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:49 am

Bob wrote: Something stinks about this one.
Well I'm sure we all know when any government is involved.........its bound to stink !!

Happy Landings

flanders
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by flanders » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Well im glad to report that things arent looking as bleak as they were, Dublin Aerospace have just won a contract for 12 Aer Lingus A320 aircraft, and 8 end of lease Easyjet aircraft, and things seem to be running very well there, good to see some of the green ones back in Dublin!!!
There is no problem so complex that it cannot simply be blamed on the pilot.

gavair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by gavair » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Shannon getting shafted again by Aer Lingus! Nothing new there so! National airline? No, dublin Airline! I wonder who's to blame! Unions maybe!!!!!