lonewolf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Need Career Advice

Post by lonewolf » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Hello
Im new to this forum and need any advise I can get
I am a qualified electrician and have been working full time for ten years
I would really love to be an aircraft mechanic especially any thing to do with helicopters
What are my options ( if any ) :cry:
Do I start another apprenticeship at 26 and if so how hard is it to get one and where do I even look
Or should I try and get in to the avoinics side of things. I woud much prefer the mechanical side of it though

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:04 am

hey,look at ryanairs website under carrers ''trainee avionics engineers'' if you want aircraft experience,helicopters im not so sure,but i do know that helicopter companies have sent apprentices to shannon,maybe someone else can point out who.with your electrics experience i think it would be a waste training as a mech, i would definitely recommend sticking with avionics and you will probably get the foot in somewhere,check your pm's
115 VAC @400Hz

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:01 pm

They offered me a position on that first course.....
I just sont like the way they call it a ''Trainee''......!!!!!!
Sounds like i'd just be a guine pig.
It starts in December and January first.
It'd be great only for it's apprentices wages for 3-4 years again...
Lots of travel involved aswell :lol:
Regards,
M747
:D

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:55 pm

Has anybody started this course with Ryanair on the 1st of December?
I'd be very interested in hearing how yee are getting on if so....
Regards,
M747

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:21 pm

Do I start another apprenticeship at 26 and if so how hard is it to get one and where do I even look

Air Atlanta have taken in qualified trades people over the years and trained them in to be Aircraft Mechanics. I'm not sure exactly how long it took for them to be trained in but I'd imagine there'd be a bit to get through, still though I think it's just a couple of weeks in the class room.
I'm not sure if the heavy base maintenance would be your thing but it might be worth looking into if you were interested. Just remember though the grass is always greener on the other side. :cry:

Know a few lads working on the Heli's, sounds like a nice number alright. Maybe try calling around to some of them to have a chat they'd probably be the best people to guide you in the right direction.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:34 am

michael747 wrote:Has anybody started this course with Ryanair on the 1st of December?

Fixing headsets i'd say,i think its different to the thing they tried a few years ago
115 VAC @400Hz

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Dutch Roll wrote:
michael747 wrote:Has anybody started this course with Ryanair on the 1st of December?

Fixing headsets i'd say,i think its different to the thing they tried a few years ago

It's completly different Mick, How are ya gettin on in Shannon?
Break anymore ribs in 767's :lol: :lol:
Regards,
M747

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Ha very funny!! i'l leave all the accidents to the mechs ive adopted a go slow process to prevent accidents to myself!!!
115 VAC @400Hz

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Lonewolf,
First, go to one of the schools that offer aircraft apprenticeship training and see what recognition you would get for your existing qualifications.They would possibly exempt you from doing some of the exams over again.Study up on the whole JAA qualification system so that you understand what you could be getting into.Then, try out each of the maintenance organisations such as SRT and MRO to see if they can accomodate you.They may take you on as an apprentice, to start from scratch, or they may take you on as a non-licensed mechanic, to carry out work that you won't be allowed to sign for.You could also try companies such as Wood Group, who overhaul fuel system components.Apart from all that, have a chat with some of the small operators who service flying club/school aircraft and see if they can help you.
regards
Stovepipe
PS: some of what constitutes "pay" for aircraft maintenance personnel would make your hair curl.You might be better off staying as a spark.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:16 pm

i'd have to agree with stovepipe regarding pay,i just saw a job advertised in the UK for someone with a B2 offering 22/23K thats barely above min wage!!!lonewolf did you ring those companies i pm'd u??
115 VAC @400Hz

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lorax » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 pm

"PS: some of what constitutes "pay" for aircraft maintenance personnel would make your hair curl.You might be better off staying as a spark."

I suppose thats why you sport such a long mane then stovie !!!

L

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:33 pm

:D What little hair I've got left, you mean! Seriously, though, the pay for aircraft engineers isn't bad over here, depending on the company, but it's often very,very poor in the UK, unless you have Type ratings and signing approval. If I had my time over again, I'm not that sure I'd have become an aircraft engineer.
regards
Stovepipe