Aircraft Grade Aluminium?

A forum for aircraft engineers to discuss topics of interest

Moderator: mark

Geminidawn
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aircraft Grade Aluminium?

Post by Geminidawn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Dose anyone know where I can find Aircraft Grade Aluminium in Ireland? I think the grade would be the same as the UK(2014A)
Thank you for any assistance.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 am

Hi there
You might be able to get to get aircraft-grade alloy such as 2024 from some of the standard metal suppliers such as Reynolds but if you mention building an aircraft, they won't give you a certificate.You may not even get a cert, at all...You'll probably just have to order it in from England.Try the BMAA or LAA for sources.
regards
Stovepipe

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Be careful with what you are buying!!! :o

"Aircraft grade Aluminium" is the umbrella term for many Alumunium alloys which are used in the aircraft industry. Some are Al alloyed with Zinc, others with Copper, Silacon or Magnesium.

THEY ALL HAVE DIFFERENT PROPERTIES!

Do you know exactly the alloy which you need for the specific job you ave at hand?

Do your homework. Some have crap resistance to corrosion ad need to be coated or anodized. Some are best loaded in tension (i.e. for lift struts) and others have are used for their resistance to bending. It all depends on the mechanical properties of the alloy in question, which in turn depend on the alloying metal used. This is what gives an alloy its grade.

Check these out:
http://www.sae.org/servlets/product?PRO ... H_CD=ALUMI

Use ctrl+F to find the grades you want quickly.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 pm

I second Nano.Use only exactly what is specified in the build plans or kit.Even the difference of a single letter or number can decide if a grade of alloy is suitable or not.What are you building?
regards
Stovepipe