A forum for aircraft engineers to discuss topics of interest

Moderator: mark

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Secondary Level Physics

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:02 pm

Hey all,

I was reccomended back in May to pick Physics for leaving cert in school as it would be helpful towards the aviation industry. So far we've done nothing in physics except play with mirrors and a light box. Am I wasting my time (and effort, lots of effort ) in doing Physics for Leaving Cert or will it be beneficial for me in the aviation world ?

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:34 pm

YES IT WILL!

I only took up physics at the start of 6th year (didn't know what the heck I was doing until then) and took two grinds a week outside of school to catch up with the course. I got on really, really well with it despite my latecoming. Stick with it. The optics section is really trivial - the classical mechanics really makes up for it. For someone with an interest in aviation, that mechanics section is quite important I must admit.

But... To be honest (and I hate saying this because physics is just such an excellent subject if you take a good look at it), what really helps with aviation, is doing physics in college. I learned -so much- in first year about mechanics that it carried me waaaaay past the realm of basic theory of flight. Physics for leaving certificate is ridiculous in a way because they teach you many things which are contradictory to the truth simply because you don't have the mathematical background to handle said truth.
And obviously, to do physics in college, it's sort necessary to do physics at leaving cert so... go figure...

Em, hope that helped.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:55 pm

"helpful towards the aviation industry"
I take it you mean as an aircraft mechanic?
yep its well worth while. Beyond the optics section you will cover the basics of Mechanics, Electricity, Magnetism, Heat etc...

All very relevant. And not all fictional Laura. Ha.

Oh yeah and I give Leaving Cert Grinds for 30 yoyo if u get stuck!!!

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:08 am

Thanks for that, i'll stick with it in that case. Hopefully it'll come of some use to me. I'm pretty well up to speed on the mechanics of things but I can only learn more as I go on. If I do go to college it'll be Business or :o Law :shock:

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:29 am

Ia gree with laura, LC physics is a bit ridiculous,i had many problems with the higher level course because of the maths,which in turn 3 months later in college doing physics I thought to myself why couldnt i do that 3 months ago because i found it easy then.Course it helps flyer,i think we all messed with light boxes for a while,anyway if you going to be an engineer,physics is covered in the part-66 syllabus.module 2.
115 VAC @400Hz

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:40 pm

Light is an important part of the course the principles are used in the likes of fibre optics definatly stick with physics you'll have the base if you decide to do any engineering or science course it will also be very helpful if trying to understand aerodynamics and other principals related to aviation.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:49 pm

And not all fictional Laura.

I know I know... I'm turning into a bitter old physicist

Anyway, ya, do physics. It's good. Good for the brainmeats *nodnod*
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:00 am

I got my degree in Physics (despite woefully inadequate maths, failed most of them) went on to study Advanced Materials. I haven't worked one day in the field of physics. I still think it was of benefit to me in that the study of physics helps to train your problem-solving skills, particularly in relation to the physical world around you.

Starting my nav recently I've found the physics useful because it taught me to accept that "near-enough" is the very best you need. There's no point in gettting stressed about a degree or two at the end of your calculations when your compass is only accurate to 5 degrees.

If you enjoy physics, bear with it, it will teach you all sorts of things.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:28 pm

Physics is an alright choice for flying... until you look at the alternatives: Chemisty (alrightish) and biology (which is generally what all the dumb-asses pick in my experience). Then it becomes a GREAT choice.

If you are going to be a commercial pilot, physics is deffo the best I would imagine. I did fungineering in uni.. and that helped too.. but the mathematical physics we did in second year sucked ass... I can't see how that is relevant.

If your school has applied maths, I'd be inclined to pick that over physics... but not a lot of schools do. Stick with the physics. It's piss easy and you can cram for it. Just learn off the formulae.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:15 pm

I need some more " encouragement " to persuade me to keep it up.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Just noticed this:

If I do go to college it'll be Business or Law

I wouldn't bother my ass doing it so. What's the point? Your flying school will tell you anything physics related you need to know (and believe me, relatively speaking, it's ladybird book stuff) for your PPL. After that, who cares? As long as you know that lift and gravity are in ewuilibrium or whatever, who cares about Newton's universal constatnt of gravitation? Or Bernoulli for that matter.

Do geography instead. You can bullshit your way through that without having a clue what you are on about. I got a b in honours leaving geography without doing a tap.

"Switzerland is a country of great contrasts....."

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:30 pm

hahahha. I bullsh*t my way through just about every subject. Business seems to be my strong point, despite the fact I never attend it, I got 89% in the last test. I could be doing your accounts yet....

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:14 pm

I could be doing your accounts yet....

Heaven forbid..... :P

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:44 pm

God help us all. It is on that day that we know the overal standards will have fallen.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Stay in physics alright, if your school offers phys/chem for leaving it's a grand course for anything you'll do in the future. You'll be a step ahead of those who haven't done it. I'd gaurantee you'll encounter most of the toptics you do in leaving phyics again sometime in your aviation training.