Problems with Google Chrome

We would like to hear what you think about the magazine and website

Moderator: mark

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Problems with Google Chrome

Post by tu154 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 pm

The new website doesn't seem to work with the Google Chrome browser. To be honest, symptomatic of a general issue with quality control at the magazine and one of the reasons why I'll not be renewing my 2 year sub (which was a 3 year sub in total and having supported it from the beginning).

If i was to rant on as to why I'm not renewing, I would say:

For a professional magazine that you buy at Easons and other major newsagents, it's reasonable to expect that it is edited to a reasonable standard. In prticular I mean the use of apostrophes and other grammar, I'm sorry lads but if you sell it on a newstand, it should be absolutely correct.

Other comments:
I am confused as to the general direction of the magazine. Are you trying to be Flight International / Ireland division, or Spotters Ireland? Personally I'm not interested in the financials of Ryanair/Aer Lingus, if I am then I'll read the business section of the Irish Times. In GA in Ireland and Northern Ireland I am more interested in the goings on of the GA operators and schools, and while pictures of the recent solos and PPLs are admirable and should continue, the goings on of the various schools and AOC operators, and their interactions with the IAA are of more interest than the latest addition to the Ryanair fleet, or what aircraft Aer Lingus should add to their long haul fleet.
IMHO, bearing in mind that Ireland is also served by the UK aviation magazine business, FII is probably better served by playing to their local knowledge and strengths. For me this might mean:

9205X
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Problems with Google Chrome

Post by 9205X » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:05 am

Works fine in my Chrome running on Fedora 11.

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:13 am

More in depth interviews and coverage with the Irish flight schools to include general issues students and instructors are facing in the IAA environment.

Roundup of AOC operations, coverage on the awarding of AOCs, comments from AOC holders on the operating environment.

Comment from qualified commentators on the performance of the 'regulator', in particular in relation to Helicopter operations, comment on the cost of awarding of an AOC then the inability of an AOC holder to get a short notice awarding of a rule 3 exemption outside civil servce work hours. (The interpretation of this rule is also a question mark)

More scrutiny on the performance of the IAA etc.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:51 am

Hi tu154,

Some great comments. Let me field a few, but am sure Alan or Mark will intervene, and may disagree!
For a professional magazine that you buy at Easons and other major newsagents, it's reasonable to expect that it is edited to a reasonable standard. In prticular I mean the use of apostrophes and other grammar, I'm sorry lads but if you sell it on a newstand, it should be absolutely correct.
Ignoring your own typo(!), I would agree with this. The editorial team do strive to ensure that grammar, punctuation and even more basic sentence structure are correct, but errors do appear, and it is being sought to improve this.
I am confused as to the general direction of the magazine. Are you trying to be Flight International / Ireland division, or Spotters Ireland?
The reality is that Ireland is a very small sector, and to get any sort of critical mass, FII needs to cater for all aspects of aviation. I would agree that there are areas that I have little interest (for me traffic numbers at airports, airline financials and if I want a synopsis of an AAIU report, I'll read the report); for others it is General Aviation section.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:00 am

More in depth interviews and coverage with the Irish flight schools to include general issues students and instructors are facing in the IAA environment.
Running the GA section, I have tried to draw contributions from many parties in all aspects. I only receive regular contributions from one school (its in Cork), with ad hoc ones from other areas, even the ones I see regularly.

Even with a fly-in, most of the work is done by either the editorial staff or we roundup one of the usual suspects to drop in, in a Samba.

Regarding ongoing regulatory issues, I would welcome these, particularly in relation to EASA, as, to date, I cannot seem to get clarity on their proposals for licensing, amintenance etc, and the IAA's interpretation of same v.v. other jurisdictions. Have to say I dont feel qualified to comment fully on these either.

Regarding the IAA directly, FII doesnt seek to be a representative body in these matters, but we do need to provide information and comment. However, I cannot base this comment on purely my own experiences with IAA etc, as it will seem narrow, and possibly a rant. Therefore, I require input from contributors for same.

Finally, tu154, would be a shame to lose you as a reader, maybe look the other way, and become a regular contributor

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:03 am

Hi Willo,
Thanks for the reply. I understand all of what you're saying, Ireland has a relatively small GA community, which is fairly hard to motivate, however I feel that in trying to be all things to all people, a lot of the content ends up being of limited interest to the likes of me. There are flashes of great local relevant stuff in the magazine, I don't think it would take much to make it better.

On the spelling/grammar issue, I knew I was setting myself up for that one. :wink:

On the IAA issue, while I understand the magazine is not a representative body, there are many out there who are not happy with the performance of the regulator As an aviation magazine, FII is well positioned to run opinion/comment pieces on the various issues that GA pilots, commercial pilots, instructors, flight schools, maintenance organisations etc seem to have with the regulator. Much along the line of the articles that already exist in the magazine on the airlines?

I'm probably not going to renew my sub, but it doesn't mean I'll stop buying the magazine. I'll still check it out on the news stand, and if there's something of interest, I'll still pick it up. Please don't feel that I'm having a go here, I am trying to be constructive as I'd genuinely like to see the magazine do well.

As for being a contributor, while I'm not working out of Ireland (at the minute), I might have some stuff that may be of interest, will talk further by PM.

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:05 am

P.S. Google Chrome still not working, never loads the main page, I.E. 8 working ok.

vortex003
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by vortex003 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 am

tu154 wrote:P.S. Google Chrome still not working, never loads the main page, I.E. 8 working ok.
P.S It's loading for me with Google Chrome. :wink:

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Chrome is fine for me, but I can't access the Aircraft register.......

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Its a great magazine...I read numerous magazines and none of them quite fit the bill. With FII the community is small indeed, but I don't think the articles on Aer Lingus and Ryanair are of much interest to the pilot who flies a 150 etc, considering what the magazines name suggests. IAA issues are interesting, but I'm sure there are plenty of expats flying in interesting jobs around the world would make interesting articles. I wrote an article about going to Oshkosh, not used,not Irish enough, then only to find an article about Sun & Fun....makes no sense.....hard to please everybody. I still like the mag and it has my vote.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:44 am

Hi tu154,

Some great comments there, thank you for taking the time to share them. I'll bring all of those issues up at our next editorial meeting. Hopefully we can come up with a solution to some of them.

Regarding the general direction of the magazine, I agree it may look a little confusing. As willo pointed out we are trying to please everyone as the market is so small here. Personally, I would like to see a lot more light aviation related features in the magazine but as willo alluded to, even the flying schools rarely contribute (and that's free publicity for them!)

In the passed two months Peter Greaney has been in discussions with the IAA with the view to producing some articles throughout 2010 on different topics, but all related to General Aviation. Would something like this be of interest to you?

Hum as also written an excellent article along the lines of "I learned about flying from that", it would be great to get a series of these types of articles if anyone else is willing to contribute? I'm still a relatively inexperienced pilot but there are lots of people out there who I'm have some stories to tell (fact or fiction!).

In relation to your initial query about Google Chrome, what version are you using and would it be possible for you to email me a screenshot of how it looks on your screen? It may make it a little easier to diagnose the problem.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:04 am

I'm running Google Chrome BETA Version : 4.0.249.43

Works fine for this site. (And most others)

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:10 pm

Mark,
Yep all of that would (IMHO) improve the focus of the magazine. I understand the problem with getting contributions from schools, companies etc, and I don't think that will ever change.
As for the Chrome issue, I'm away at the minute, but when back will PM a screenshot of the issue.
Happy New Year all, time for more beer!

byronirl
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by byronirl » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 am

Yep Chrome is fine here for all features.

On the subject of the mag, I do agree more experiences, etc niche stuff is probably the way to go, but Irish people are a bit awkward about putting their mugg in a mag (or a website, or anything else) so therefore any form of referrals, articles, etc are really hard to get from my experience! People just don't understand the value of good PR!

Happy new year to all!

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 am

Wow, Site is Lightning Fast using the new IE9 Preview
Regards,
M747
:D