Anonymous Fouromites
  • ifty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ifty » Sat May 02, 2009 4:19 pm

hugoj_air wrote:
    ifty wrote:
    IMO giving Mark full personal details is no hardship at all, unless you have something to hide. Well ifty, whatever your name is, have YOU something to hide.

Hugo.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No I dont, and if I did, it is of absolutely no concern to you.

On that I would say who cares?

Hugo.

You seem to care by prepetuating this. If it really is a problem admin would have had it sorted.
    You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.
  • hugoj_air
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hugoj_air » Sat May 02, 2009 9:21 pm

ifty wrote:You seem to care by prepetuating this. If it really is a problem admin would have had it sorted.

Go back to the start of this thread and you will see I was responding to Donal's questions. And yes I am prepetuating this because I (and I think Donal) believe it should be discussed. I also know that ultimately it will
    be Mark's decision only as to what happens.

But it still comes down to Donals comments, with which I do agree
    if people were allowed to act how they like whenever they like there'd be anarchy and chaos. Ok, that's maybe taking things to the extreme, but in fairness people can't just come onto the forum start having a go and not be accountable for their opinions, and hiding behind anonymity, too cowardly to back up their opinions with their identity.

ifty, the impression you'er giving is that are happy to allow any comments and no accountability at all

And when Donal made these comments.
    For example : The recent Kilkenny basher in the Irish General Aviation section , made 2 posts and when he started getting criticism was never heard from again.

You replied:
    From most of the replies to that particular instance people took it with a pinch of salt!

I looked again at those posts and it was more like biting of tongue's,
    rather than pinches of salt. The first reply suggested the dumping of "abbeyleix" and similar comments from many other members,
    including myself. I dont understand why anyone would be reluctant to
    give FULL details to the moderator where they would
    stay very much out of public view.

Hugo.
  • mr crow
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by mr crow » Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • ifty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ifty » Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 pm

hugoj_air wrote:I looked again at those posts and it was more like biting of tongue's, rather than pinches of salt. The first reply suggested the dumping of "abbeyleix" and similar comments from many other members,

Hugo.

The people that replied knew the airfield and defended it, now I would tend to believe 6,7,8 or however many people over someone who joined made two posts and was never heard from again.

I still dont see the need to change anything, if it aint broke dont fix it! There seems to be problems being thought about that are not there. As for anarchy and chaos eh? I have only ever seen one post/topic pulled since I have been a member here, so I dont think that by people not registering their name and details makes any difference at all.
    You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.
  • hugoj_air
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hugoj_air » Mon May 04, 2009 12:46 am

mr crow wrote:But how would the Moderator even know if the details were
    correct in the first place? Easier said than done I would think.

Ya, I know that could and probably would happen. Especially if someone
    is determined to remain anonymous. As I said before it is up to Mark to
    decide what course of action he wants to take. Perhaps he's happy with the
    way the forum is monitored and is quick enough to nip any problems in the bud.
    Personally I dislike anonymity. But I CAN understand why some feel the
    need, to me it smacks of underhand operations.
    I am not implying that any of the members here who choose not to give details
    either privately or publically, are doing so for that reason.

Ifty wrote:
    I dont think that by people not registering their name and details makes any difference at all.

I was thinking it might deter those intent on mischief from joining. I know!!, some hope. Anyway it would be a pity if this excellent forum was destroyed by people like that. You think it can't happen, well I've seen it happen a few years ago to a UK forum.

So I'll ask you again, are you happy to allow any comments with no accountability at all on the forum??.

Hugo.
  • ifty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ifty » Mon May 04, 2009 10:42 am

hugoj_air wrote:to me it smacks of underhand operations.
    I am not implying that any of the members here who choose not to give details
    either privately or publically, are doing so for that reason.

To me thats exactly exactly what you are implying

hugoj_air wrote:I looked again at those posts and it was more like biting of tongue's,
    rather than pinches of salt. The first reply suggested the dumping of "abbeyleix" and similar comments from many other members,

hugoj_air wrote:So I'll ask you again, are you happy to allow any comments with no accountability at all on the forum??.

Yes, as long as the moderator quickly jumps on them and removes the post and person if need be. (I realise they can just join again using a different name) Like I said before in the time I have been a member here I have only seen one post removed so it is not a problem IMO.
    The biggest thing is the silence on this issue from site admin, if it was such a problem they would have said/changed something.
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by mark » Mon May 04, 2009 11:06 am

ifty wrote:The biggest thing is the silence on this issue from site admin, if it was such a problem they would have said/changed something.

I'm just interested in hearing peoples opinion on it.

I have beem pondering the thought for a while of overhauling the website. We changed to this format of the site about a year ago. While it was a big improvement on the old site, I have never really been happy with the colours and functions of most of it. In the background there has also been huge problems with users dissappearing/bein disabled and the ongoing problem with many people not being able to post photos in the gallery. The software for the site is also quite old, buggy and vulnerable to hacking (as witnessed on Sat night).

Nothing with the website is going to change over night but I am watching what people are saying and taking everybodies opinion into account.

Coming to the issue at hand regarding forum annonimity. A number of people have approached me personally expressing their concern. As someone pointed out - it is impractical to have all user details submitted to me to verify someones identity. Also a closed up forum accessable only to registered users will discourage new people from joining.

The solution I'm looking at at the moment involves a balance between the two - mostly accessable to the public but with registered users having their own section where only registered users can view. Like i said, nothing is going to happen over night. My web design skills are very basic so things are taking a long time to progress

Keep debating though - I will be watching :wink:
    Regards,
    Mark Dwyer
    www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
    FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information
  • hugoj_air
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hugoj_air » Mon May 04, 2009 10:42 pm

ifty wrote:
    hugoj_air wrote:Personally I dislike anonymity. But I CAN understand why some feel the need, to me it smacks of underhand operations. I am not implying that any of the members here who choose not to give details either privately or publically, are doing so for that reason.
    Full text.

To me thats exactly exactly what you are implying.

Ifty, I presume your primary language is English, if it is then what part of NOT IMPLYING do you not understand!!

hugoj_air wrote:So I'll ask you again, are you happy to allow any comments with no accountability at all on the forum??.

Yes, as long as the moderator quickly jumps on them and removes the post and person if need be. (I realise they can just join again using a different name)

Like I said before in the time I have been a member here I have only seen one post removed so it is not a problem IMO.

I have been a member a bit longer than you ifty and Mark will remember at least one person who had to be removed from the membership list for the use of inappropriate language.

The biggest thing is the silence on this issue from site admin, if it was such a problem they would have said/changed something.See above..

"as long as the moderator quickly jumps on them and removes the post and person if need be". So you are content to place the total responsibility on the shoulders of the Moderator/Mark in order to monitor the forum for around 16 hours a day, 365 days a year. Personally I think Mark has better things to do with his time than to be watching our every move.

Hugo.
  • kilo delta
    Verified User
    Verified User

by kilo delta » Mon May 04, 2009 11:01 pm

@Mark....I'd rekon that having a private "members only" area would be a great idea. I'd also suggest that taking on a couple of volunteer forum Moderators would be a good move. :)
  • hugoj_air
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hugoj_air » Tue May 05, 2009 1:01 am

kilo delta wrote:@Mark....I'd rekon that having a private "members only" area would be a great idea. I'd also suggest that taking on a couple of volunteer forum Moderators would be a good move. :)

I agree KD. A members only area would be a good idea. As I said previously it works well on a couple of other forums I belong to. And volunteer forum Moderators would be a big help for Mark, who I'm sure already has enough on his plate. The volunteers would report directly to the Moderator and only he would have the final say as to what course of action should be taken. At least that way any inappropriate activity can
    be spotted reasonably quickly and my bitching about anonymity would
    stop, but I would still dislike it.

ifty part of your signature says:
    or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

I'm not pot-bellied but the rest is pretty accurate :) :) friends?.

Hugo.
    Last edited by hugoj_air on Tue May 05, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    DonalMW
    Verified User
    Verified User

by DonalMW » Tue May 05, 2009 1:10 am

Yea, a members only section would sound like a positive step.
    Possibly put the first two sections of the forum to private, as they're the most popular.
    Or create a new sub section for people who give the moderator their correct name and contact details etc...
  • ifty
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ifty » Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 am

hugoj_air wrote:I have been a member a bit longer than you ifty and Mark will remember at least one person who had to be removed from the membership list for the use of inappropriate language.

So once in 5 years is not really a problem as I see it, and why cant there be another 2 - 3 moderators? to take same of the pressure of Mark.
    DonalMW
    Verified User
    Verified User

by DonalMW » Tue May 05, 2009 12:10 pm

How could he trust anyone.... if they don't provide personal information.....

(Couldn't resist that 1) :wink:
  • MarBergi
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by MarBergi » Tue May 05, 2009 1:12 pm

DonalMW wrote:Yea, a members only section would sound like a positive step.
    Possibly put the first two sections of the forum to private, as they're the most popular.
    Or create a new sub section for people who give the moderator their correct name and contact details etc...

It the two most popular section tha you should leave open - they attract people to the forum, and indirectly to the magazine (its how I got started). Making these private would be a mistake.

Good sensible moderation would be all that's required on a forum thats overall very friendly and informative. Will you occasionally get somebody going off on one - yes - but that will happen anyway, even if the moderator(s) have their personal details.

DonalMW wrote:How could he trust anyone.... if they don't provide personal information.....

The supplied information should contain a minimum of bank account details, credit card numbers, pin numbers and if possible PPSN numbers, date of birth and mother maiden name just to be sure......... :twisted:

But on a serious note - what information would you collect, and how would you prove it's validity?
  • hugoj_air
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hugoj_air » Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 pm

I think we have flogged this one to death, time to give it a rest. As Mark
    stated, possible changes are in the offing, but will take time to sort. So we will just have to "watch this space". And I'm sure he has taken all our comments on board.

Hugo.