We would like to hear what you think about the magazine and website

Moderator: mark

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Anonymous Fouromites

Post by DonalMW » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi, just a wee gripe I have......

Every time i'm logged in, (Which is VERY frequently) there is maybe up to 3 registered users online, and up to 6 or 7 guests.

Maybe i'm out of line here but I think that all users of the forum should have to be registered. Anyone agree ? ?

And also that all registered users be non - anonymous... ie : their names etc held with the moderator ? ?

Also i'm of the opinion that anytime there's aviation "News" in Ireland that the media have access to fouromites opinions etc.....

Gripe over....
Last edited by DonalMW on Fri May 01, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi Donal,

Every time i'm logged in, (Which is VERY frequently) there is maybe up to 3 registered users online, and up to 6 or 7 guests.
You probably already know that guests can only look but not “touch”.

Maybe i'm out of line here but I think that all users of the forum should have to be registered. Anyone agree ? ?
Allowing guests to look, gives them the chance to make up there minds to join or not. Unfortunately it also give unscrupulous people with hidden agenda’s a chance to see whats happening on the forum. The price you pay in order to attract new members.
And also that all registered users be non - anonymous... ie : their names etc held with the moderator ? ?
I most certainly agree 100% with that. There should be NO anonymous member’s to the moderator, at the very least.
Also i'm of the opinion that anytime there's aviation "News" in Ireland that the media have access to fouromites opinions etc.....
Now that one could be VERY dangerous. Reporters have a way of twisting the words of any opinion given. Also would it be the opinion of the member or of the forum.
Any reason you ask about that one Donal.

Hugo.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi Hugo,

No particular reason I asked about that, just sharing your concerns about the way some people could interpret fourimites opinions into something they're not....

Attract new members.... There's 1,500 already, I don't think more privacy would deter would be new posters to the forum.....

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Forum members aren't really anonymous,though......i'm sure that Mark can log their IP address'.
I suppose that it could be possible to make "member only" areas of the forum, which would require the user to login in order to view the posts.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Nice idea

But on the ip address thing, I think people can hide or change their ip address by using a proxy.....

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri May 01, 2009 12:10 am

DonalMW wrote:Hi Hugo,

No particular reason I asked about that, just sharing your concerns about the way some people could interpret fourimites opinions into something they're not....
Thats what the media are paid to do. If you ever read/see a report where you know exactly what happened, you will see how they do not let the facts get in the way of their story.

Attract new members.... There's 1,500 already, I don't think more privacy would deter would be new posters to the forum.....

Good point Donal, but how many real members are there who post regular, with good subjects for discussion and not just the odd post now and again selling something or complaining about something.
Nothing wrong with that, but they are not real members. I also know that a vast number of posts does not necessarily make a good forum member, but at least they are contributing. I would guess there are only about 50 or so regular contributors, so new blood is always welcome.
I also agree privacy could be more obvious prior to becoming a member.
Some people would appreciate it if they knew only members were allowed to read the full contants of the forum

Kilo Delta wrote:Forum members aren't really anonymous,though......i'm sure that Mark can log their IP address'.
I suppose that it could be possible to make "member only" areas of the forum, which would require the user to login in order to view the posts.

As Donal says the IP address can be messed with, so it should be FII policy that all members give FULL personal details to the moderator prior to becoming a member and have the choice of what details, if any they wish to display on their profiles.
"member only" areas, (see above) is also a possibility. I belong to a couple of forums who use this with sucess.

Hugo.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Fri May 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Sorry, what would be acheived in everyone giving their full details? What's the problem that you're you trying to solve? Is there a problem?

I know there is a lot of waffle posted here, but the fact is that some people can voice opinions here that they may not otherwise post for the fear of repercussions, eg. comments about your particular flightschool, etc. Some people will make those comments regardless of their anonymity or not, but some won't, and hence the forum will become a lot less active.

I don't think as it stands there's a danger of FII becoming another PPRuNe, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Your point is valid "Whiskey Tango" but if people were allowed to act how they like whenever they like there'd be anarchy and chaos. Ok, that's maybe taking things to the extreme, but in fairness people can't just come here onto the forum and just start having a go and not be accountable for their opinions, and hiding behind anonymity, too cowardly to back up their opinions with their identity.

For example : The recent Kilkenny basher in the Irish General Aviation section , made 2 posts and when he started getting criticism was never heard from again.
Who's to say that person hasn't re-registered under a new username, or just posted in that topic because he/she felt they had grievances over something.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 pm

DonalMW wrote:For example : The recent Kilkenny basher in the Irish General Aviation section , made 2 posts and when he started getting criticism was never heard from again.
Who's to say that person hasn't re-registered under a new username, or just posted in that topic because he/she felt they had grievances over something.

On that I would say who cares? From most of the replies to that particular instance people took it with a pinch of salt! The flying community in Ireland is a fairly small so if someone bashes somewhere most people will ask for it to be justified and if it isnt disregard it. (I did in this insatnce).

On a broader note I think keeping things they way they are works just fine IMO.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm

ifty wrote: On that I would say who cares? From most of the replies to that particular instance people took it with a pinch of salt! The flying community in Ireland is a fairly small so if someone bashes somewhere most people will ask for it to be justified and if it isnt disregard it. (I did in this insatnce).

On a broader note I think keeping things they way they are works just fine IMO.

If only it were that simple ifty. When someone starts an open forum,
they have a responsibly to ensure that it is kept within reason regarding comments made. If a "member" steps out of line and then cannot be
identified, it could rebound on the moderator by way of court action.
You say:
most people will ask for it to be justified and if it isnt disregard it.

But what happens if they decide NOT to disregard the comments and take it further. Keeping things the way they are leaves Mark open to that possibility. IMO giving Mark full personal details is no hardship at all, unless you have something to hide. Well ifty, whatever your name is, have YOU something to hide.

Hugo.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Fri May 01, 2009 10:47 pm

IMO giving Mark full personal details is no hardship at all, unless you have something to hide. Well ifty, whatever your name is, have YOU something to hide.

Hugo.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No I dont, and if I did, it is of absolutely no concern to you.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Fri May 01, 2009 11:14 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 pm

IMO giving Mark full personal details is no hardship at all, unless you have something to hide.
Hugo.

By "full" personal details, what do you mean....PPS number, bank account number, mother's maiden name? Where do you draw the line?? This is PC gone mad IMO :roll:
Last edited by Whisky Tango on Fri May 01, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri May 01, 2009 11:39 pm

ifty wrote:
IMO giving Mark full personal details is no hardship at all, unless you have something to hide. Well ifty, whatever your name is, have YOU something to hide.

Hugo.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No I dont, and if I did, it is of absolutely no concern to you.

On that I would say who cares?

Hugo.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Whisky Tango wrote:
IMO giving Mark full personal details is no hardship at all, unless you have something to hide.
Hugo.

By "full" personal details, what do you mean....PPS number, bank account number, mother's maiden name? Where do you draw the line?? This is PC gone mad IMO :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Dont forget what you had for breakfast!! Maybe YOU'ER hiding something?

Hugo.