St Ethetic, 737 200 Sim

This is a section where users can post pictures and video links

Moderator: mark

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

St Ethetic, 737 200 Sim

Post by Cosmic » Sun May 15, 2005 8:56 pm

Aer Lingus' 737-248 Simulator at Dublin Airport. Used it for my MCC with Parc, which was great fun.

VNAV PTH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by VNAV PTH » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:21 pm

Spent many long nights in there myself.......

Are you with AA in KL?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:10 pm

Since I don't know what AA or KL mean, I am guessing no! I too have spent some long gruelling nights in there, in fact its always night time in the bloody thing! 8) I really did enjoy it though, it was my first taste of Jet flying. I am doing the Rating on the NG at the moment, I was just using that one to practice for an interview.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

VNAV PTH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by VNAV PTH » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:30 pm

Air Asia in Kuala Lumpur!

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:29 pm

No I am not thank goodenss. I heard that went very sour for some of the people who signed up to that scheme, when Air Asia decided they were going all Airbus in the future and didn't need anymore 737 rated pilots, and left a few young guys with a self funded rating, no hours on type and no Job. :shock:
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:15 pm

Cosmic wrote:No I am not thank goodenss. I heard that went very sour for some of the people who signed up to that scheme, when Air Asia decided they were going all Airbus in the future and didn't need anymore 737 rated pilots, and left a few young guys with a self funded rating, no hours on type and no Job. :shock:

this sort of thing is what has me undecided about taking the "big jump" to go all the way to ATPL.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:46 pm

Well I don't know if it should put you off your ATPLs, but it would certainly make me think about a self funded type rating at the very least, without a very very healthy prospect of a job at the other end. As they Say Caveat Emptor.

When I get my Hands on the NG sim in the Next few weeks, I'll add a picture of it onto this thread, it will be nice to have the "Book Ends" of the 737 model, some 36 Years apart :shock:

— Cecil Day Lewis

Mark N
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mark N » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:20 pm

AndyMax wrote:
Cosmic wrote:No I am not thank goodenss. I heard that went very sour for some of the people who signed up to that scheme, when Air Asia decided they were going all Airbus in the future and didn't need anymore 737 rated pilots, and left a few young guys with a self funded rating, no hours on type and no Job. :shock:

this sort of thing is what has me undecided about taking the "big jump" to go all the way to ATPL.

Get a rating on an Airbus?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:20 pm

MarkN, Let me explain. These guys were recruited by Parc. They were "offered" the chance to pay for their rating, I don't know the exact figure, but your looking at about Euro 25-28K. They were paying for the rating, NOT Air Asia. Their salary was to be about US$20K. From what I hear after some of them had the rating completed, they were told there was no job.

Get a rating on an Airbus?

I don't know how much you earn or your background, but most people have to steal, borrow, beg or sell a Grandmother to afford their Rating. To buy a second at similar money? Well you can work that out yourself.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Mark N
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mark N » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:26 pm

Don't worry...one rating would be stretching for me too!

I more meant if I were in the position now I'd probably go for an Airbus rating over a 737 one unless Ryanair looked like the only option of flying in Ireland for an airline.

Surely these guys can use the fact that they are rated to get a job flying jets somewhere? No?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:52 pm

We are getting pretty off topic here. A rating without hours on type is less then useless. Most airlines want you to get "their" rating, with tailored SOPs etc. Trained their way, not by someone else unless you have got a heap of hours on type to make up for it. The rating expires after one year if you haven't got a job, I know of 3 people who have done this and its all ended in tears.

— Cecil Day Lewis